We just returned from 3 wonderful and relaxing days at BMI! The inn is very unique and filled with history from a by gone era. Nostalgia is at every corner including our bathroom with a claw-foot tub. We had a second floor bed-siting room facing the huge second floor porch with many rocking chairs. Four large windows allowed cool breezes to flow throughout the day. There is no air conditioning in the inn..... But you don't need it. The 1908 building design and 3500 feet elevation keep the inn quite cool. While it was 90+ at home we enjoyed cool temperatures and even donned a light sweater. Breakfast was delicious each morning. They have a very popular restaurant on site and were hosting a music show and buffet Saturday evening. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Hot teas and coffee are available in the cozy library lined with walls of books. We also ventured into the nearby town of Waynesville and had excellent meals at the Sweet Onion and Frogs Leap! Be sure to visit Mud Dabbers Pottery on Hwy 74. Such a fun and relaxing weekend! Very quaint B&B with no phones or TVs. Don't go there expecting a 21st century inn..... This is an old inn with lots of character and nostalgia.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Read, rest, ramble and romp at the Balsam Mountain Inn! Nestled among lofty Smoky Mountain peaks just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Balsam Mountain Inn was completed in 1908 to serve the highest railway depot in the east. Restored in 1991, the inn now welcomes travelers with 50 cheerful rooms, rocker-filled porches, a fine library and gracious dining. Plump pillows and soft comforters inspire pleasant dreams! In December, 2011, the Inn came once again to be owned by Merrily Teasley, the innkeeper who restored the structure two decades ago. An experienced rescuer of wonderful buildings, Teasley bought the derelict inn in 1990, and her certified rehabilitation effort helped the inn – already on the National Historic Register – experience a rebirth. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Hotel.de and HRS so you can book your Balsam Mountain Inn & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balsam Mountain Inn & Restaurant Hotel Balsam
- Balsam Mountain Inn And Restaurant