“What a day!!!”

High Mountain Expeditions
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to High Mountain Expeditions. We are located in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, with two locations to serve you in Boone and Banner Elk, North Carolina. High Mountain Expeditions offers outdoor activities, such as whitewater rafting, caving, and hiking for every member of your group or family.The team at High Mountain Expeditions invites you to join us in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains on one of our many outdoor adventures.
Allegan, Michigan
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“What a day!!!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My two kids and I (they are 11 and 13), went with HME on the Nolichucky River for a day white water rafting. We had a good, fun time. The river wasn't too cold and the weather was perfect. The guides were very knowledgeable about the river and took everybody's safety to heart. Our raft flipped over (nothing we could do to prevent it) and the guides were right there making sure everyone was ok. One of the other rafts/guide picked up my daughter who had made it to shore up river from where we all were. After checking everyone over and making sure no one was seriously hurt, our guide helped us back in the raft and we were on our way. Due to the safety briefing that we had before we even made it to the put in point really helped a lot.
The guides made the trip fun, even stopping in a couple different places to let us swim if we wanted too. The lunch was nice too. My kids loved it - stopping on a rock formation and eating lunch WHICH the guides put out for us. Sure we had to make our own sandwiches but who cares. The rest of the trip was uneventful and the Nolichucky River and gorge are beautiful. We will definitely go again and use HME!!!! Thanks Lombardi, Alex and Parker!!! You guys rock!!!!

1 Thank LynnaeWhite

Montpelier
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome Adventure”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

While vacationing again in Boone, we visited High Mountain Expeditions again for a rafting trip on the Watauga River. Our guide Ryan was awesome again, and made our second trip with him once again a memorable one, especially for our 94 year old aunt that joined us. Ethan made the bus trip fun as well. They made sure we had fun, but kept us safe.

1 Thank Kwilliamson00
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Watuga river”
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

My four kids range from age 4 to 12. It was all of their first time going. The guides made it a good and funny bus ride and fantastic overall trip to the point that they asked all night if we could do it again the next day. Thank you so much HME

1 Thank bethemily
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The guide staff are too busy showing off their skills to help anyone”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have read a lot of negative reviews about this company talking about cold water being thrown but that at least did not happen to me, They probably had to stop doing that because of the number of complaints or something.

Anyway on to review.

Things i didn't like:

1. The guide staff seemed uninterested in peoples safety exspecially our guide leader Capitan America ex-army whatever, He spent most of the trip yelling obscenities at people when they got stuck on rocks, And talking about "How he wished he was back in the Military" And when he wasn't doing that he was belittling everyone for being the ungrateful noobs they where for failing off of their rafts. LikeI'm sorry im not Army Ranger material and i almost died falling off my raft.

2. Lunch was disgusting, Dry sandwiches with some disgusting dollar general generic cookies to eat, The whole "Buffet" was a total shoo fly special and made me want to puke.

3. Rest Breaks, They are non-existent, You paddle and paddle until your arms feel like they are going to fall off and the they will have no sympathy for you if you are tired or become sick, They are just trying to rush through the trip as fast as possible so the guides can get back to the club house and collect their paychecks, They will become visibly frusturated and even get angry when they have to assist you getting stuck on rocks etc, It's like why did you take a job as a river guide if you have no desire to help people? Not everyone is a seasoned white water expert like yourselves so show a little sympathy.

4. Broken Equipment, I got a raft that had a hard plastic valve cover stuck in my back and it made me miserable the whole time, Left a nice hoof shaped bruise on my back too, Also my paddle broke and became almost unusable as well as a few other people too.

5. Price, It's expensive, Army Ranger training is probably just as miserable and at least it's free.

4 Thank TripReviewDude
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Coldest day in August”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We went on the 1/2 day trip on the Watauga River. It was really an awesome tour. The bus ride to the river was about 40 mins , but the guides Chris and Matt told jokes and showed us sights as we rode which made the trip go quick. When we got to the river we realized the water was freezing but all the guides made everyone have a great time and the water was refreshing. Jump rock is where you climb the cliff and jump roughly 15ft down into the water. It's exhilarating. The rapids were fun. This trip was great for the family of all ages. The guides carried on the joking and fun all the way until we returned back. I will return and next time will try the full day tour.

2 Thank Pumba1998