“terrible for ice skating /ski Beech Mtn. or App Ski Mtn. instead”

Sugar Mountain Resort
Ranked #7 of 18 things to do in Banner Elk
More attraction details
Owner description: Big-mountain ski resort area featuring a 1,200-foot vertical drop and ski runs of one-and-one-half miles.
Boone, North Carolina
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“terrible for ice skating /ski Beech Mtn. or App Ski Mtn. instead”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

My teenage son and I wanted to go ice skating so we drove over to Sugar Mountain which has an outdoor rink. We paid for our session, then went to the rink to discover that the ice was not completely frozen. Others who had just gone out on the ice merely sunk into the slightly frozen mush. We went back to the desk where we had purchased our tickets and the employee stated that they do not give refunds for ice skating session, even if the ice conditions are not conducive for skating. We left and will never go back. For skiing I would suggest nearby Beech Mountain---it's where all the locals go. Find another place to ice skate (like App Ski Mountain in Blowing Rock).

Visited January 2013
5 Thank demTravels

Sugar Mtn, NC, USA
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Best all around ski resort in the SouthEast US!!!”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Sugar Mountain has it all. Slopes for all ages and all skill levels in a natural setting with beautiful views all the way down the mountain. "Easy Street" slope for beginners is not just a field on the side of a hill, but a gradual slope with beautiful trees on both sides. "Lower and Upper Flying Mile" are just what they say they are. For the experienced skiier, "Tom Terrific" or "Boulder Dash" is the ultimate challenge to get down without falling, but make sure you can handle them before you commit. And "Switchback" is a trail all the way from the top where even an intermediate skiier can enjoy the full experience. So if you are capable and can ski from the top, you must take time when you get there to check out the magnificiant panoramic views!!!
The lodge is a classic built facing the slope with large, floor to roof windows so you can keep an eye on the action while warming up with some coffee, hot chocolate or food from the onsite kitchen/cafeteria. There are rental units, condo's, houses, to stay in on the mountain and hotels and numerous restaurants for off site dining after a day on the slopes. Come prepared for any type of weather and enjoy the beautiful setting that Sugar Mountain really is!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank naturalcouple
Winter Haven, Florida
135 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 186 helpful votes
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Our group had a fun time skiing here and everything but the prices of the things in their store was great.

Visited November 2012
Banner Elk, North Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Always well conditioned golf course.”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is a little jewel to play. It is an executive course and the greens are always great and fast. The staff are very friendly headed by the Director of Golf, Tom McAullife who is just great with many stories to tell and is an excellent custom clubmaker.

Visited October 2013
Holly Springs, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Good and bad points”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I would like to start by saying that this is ski resort in the South. Naturally, the terrain is going to be limited and the snow conditions can be challenging due to the fluctuating temperatures. My son and I went skiing in February and on that particular day the snow was decent but the temperatures were so warm that we didn't even need coats. It was my son's first time skiing and he attended the half day ski school. He had fun being around the other kids and the school covered the basics. After the ski school was over we went out on the slopes together and my son ended up falling and twisting his ankle. Because we were half way up the mountain and he couldn't go any further I had to call the ski patrol. I had lost my trail map (my fault) and so I had to try and describe my location. You would not think this would be difficult since there are only about 5 trails, but it took a while for them to figure out where we might be. When someone finally arrived it was a 20-something kid on a snowboard and the first thing he did was accuse me of moving locations, which I did not. In addition, he didn't even ask my son if he was ok, and actually seemed aggravated that he had to come help us. I am sorry, but I work at a desk all day and would give anything to have a job where I get to be on a ski slope all day. And besides that, if there weren't amateurs like myself falling down and hurting themselves he would be out of a job.

On another note, there is a decent bar in the lodge which has a good view of the slopes and is a comfortable place to hang out.

Next time we will be trying one of the other resorts in the area which I have heard does a better job from a customer service perspective.

Visited February 2013