“Nice place”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Banner Elk
Germanton, North Carolina
“Nice place”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Went to spend some quality time with my grandchildren before school started and the room was great...only problem was the beds were too small for two children to sleep in...Other than that the hotel was great. The breakfast they offer is amazing and the swimming pool was very clean. This place is located by many nice restaurants and close to many places to go. Overall the trip was great and my grandchildren loved it...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Hebrew first
Tampa FL
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I truly enjoyed this stop on my drive across the Blue Ridge Parkway. Not really easy to find from the BRP, but welcoming and clean. I requested a lower floor so I could park at the door for easier luggage transport and I received that. Comfy beds, a good functioning room refrigerator and a superb breakfast make this place well worth the drive. The breakfast attendants offered me coffee upon entering and I had the best fluffy scrambled eggs ever! You could tell they were not the standard powdered eggs you get from most free breakfasts. I'd happily return.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor if you don't want to carry heavy loads up and down stairs.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed 1 night at this location. We found it to be clean and staff extremely friendly. We enjoyed the breakfast at the hotel and the ladies working in the dining area provided prompt service with a smile. Great value in a cute little town. We stayed midweek. The hotel was not crowded so our stay was quiet. No major issues and we would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013
Plano, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I booked at room here and would have cancelled within 5 minutes of my arrival if I could have. I was given a room that smelled like a wet dog and once I kicked my shoes off I realized that the carpets were damp. I was told that they had been cleaned 2 weeks earlier! The next room did have dry carpets but the wall were so thin that I could actually hear the occupants changing their alarm clock! The staff acted as though they were doing me a favor to even wait on me.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Tammy L
bwbannerelk, General Manager at Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations. We take great pride in the cleanliness of our guest rooms so I do hate to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your room. We did have our carpets professionally steam cleaned the week prior to your arrival. We thought that all rooms were completely dry. I am very sorry that the carpet in your room was still damp.

We want you to stay with us again and give us another opportunity. I would love the chance to discuss this further with you. We value your business and want you to come back and see us. Please call me directly at (828) 898-4571.

Shannon Wooten
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I'm gonna be honest, we've stayed at the hotels, at beach, and they've been horrible. Very Dated, and just plain disgusting. Maybe I'm just over opinionated, but I consider the Best Western a huge step-up. The rooms are very well maintained, and Clean. Plus, they had Wireless Internet (something hard to come by, further up the mountain) and it's free :) Staff was very friendly from the start, smiling, and just very welcoming. However, when we tried to checkout over the phone, someone from the front desk answered sounding very aggravated having to answer/deal with us.

The one little thing I didn't understand though, was there's no elevator at this property. If your staying on the 2nd Floor, it's a huge hassle trying to lug up suitcases and the like. The Breakfast is basically your normal, free hotel Breakfast. Nothing out of the ordinary, just the basics. Also, if your allergic to pets, try to consider a different hotel, this place is pet friendly, and bound to set off allergies.

All in All, besides the experience of checking out, I was very happy to stay here, and we will be returning. It's very clean, and a step up from other local hotel/motel options.

Room Tip: Ask for a Room on 1st Floor, on the left side of the building. You can park right up to your room, a...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Lets start with the free breakfast that tasted is on par with breakfast at Folsom County Prison. (I havnt been to prison but I love Johnny Cash).

Then when we booked an extra night,because the town is so wonderful. ..they did so without informing us that they doubled our rate. The GM admitted her employees mistake but said tough [--]. When we called corporate to complain, the GM lied about admitting the mistake.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank billyandbobthedog
bwbannerelk, General Manager at Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on our hotel. We value your business and very much appreciate you staying with us. I am sorry that you feel that you were not informed of the rate increase on the weekends. We felt that we made you aware of the rate increase, as you were very upset about the rate going up on Friday night when you requested to extend your stay. We have your initials by the rate increase, which we require before extending a guests stay. You chose to check out of one room and keep the second room. We did give you a manager’s special rate for the one room you remained in, and we gave you a late check out on your departure date. We were sold out the weekend you stayed with us and we could not reduce our rate any lower than the discounted rate we honored for you. You did mention at checkout that if we did not lower your rate to your weekday rate you were going to “blast us on Trip Advisor” and we let you know at that point that our rate would remain the same. We have a very strict policy of making sure that all guests are aware of the rates up front as we require initials by all rates. I am sorry that you feel you were not made aware of this.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our wonderful town. We do hope that you will come back and give us another opportunity in the future.
Shannon Wooten
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Upon checkin Neelan saw that me and my elderly friend were struggling
with our bags during the rain . She made several trips on her way off
her shift to assist us and it was with such an upbeat , caring,
attitude, that her genuine and sincere interaction made us feel like she
cared about us as people and not just customers . Then Shannon escorted
my friend to breakfast and back due to me being in pain. And the front
desk was exceptional due to the request to let me stay while my elderly
friend goes to church which is beyond the checkout time. I normally stay
at La Quinta however this will change due to my experience this visit. I
am retired from the airline so I travel a lot. I will be making Best
Western my choice for future travel lodging. Thanks for the experience
that exudes customer service which is what makes the difference between
one lodging and the next !

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
#2 of 2 in Little Switzerland
Meadowbrook Inn & Suites
Meadowbrook Inn & Suites
#6 of 15 in Blowing Rock

Been to Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk? Share your experiences!