“The very best Best Western I have stayed at”

Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Banner Elk
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The room was very nice and extremely clean. The decor was impressive and seemed to be fairly new. The double bed was more like a twin. The beds have a feather/down pillow top under the sheet, which was so nice. The room we had was on the first floor and since my father in law cannot get around it was perfect, no steps. The ice machine, drink and snack machines were inexpensive and centrally located for us. I especially enjoyed the bathroom amenities, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, lotion dispenser in a hotel is a big plus in my opinion. We were in the back of the hotel, which was awesome, no noise whatsoever. The hot breakfast was one of the best I have had in a hotel. The food was great tasting and there was plenty of it. I cannot say enough about the front desk staff who was very courteous and friendly. Checking in and out was very fast. I would highly recommend staying here if in the area. I know we will.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 September 2013

My wife and I wanted the cool of the mountains and an inexpensive place to stay. This place was just what we wanted - good bed, clean room, friendly staff and good price from Bestwestern.com. The best part of the stay was the breakfast - we did not expect a full hot breakfast. We did not get the name of the hostess but she was excellent. We would certainly stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This hotel needs a a major renovation. The door to the room became stuck, the ice machine on the first floor was surrounded by a pool of water, closers on several outside doors were broken, an the room had outdated furniture. Despite these concerns we had an enjoyable stay. The beda are comfortable. The front desk and restaurant staff were very helpful. For instance, when we were assigned a room with a view overlooking a dark hallway, the desk clerk happily changed our room to one with a view of the mountains.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter V
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I stayed here Sept 11th 2013. I had booked ahead, for a great price $79. When I checked in I was given the 2nd floor, which did not seem like a problem until I discovered no elevator. Since being a bit up in age...I asked to be switched to 1st fl. closer to front office if possible. They were very accommodating. Room was very clean...granted it was not city modern....this is the mountains.
The bed was wonderful, there was a nice comfy, fluffy, mattress cover....so I got a very good nites sleep.
As others have said..the breakfast in the morning is great, it is a combination of help yourself and a wonderful waitress who will assist you, or get things for you, and she was delightful.
A nice Lodge feel, with couches, in the main office area.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mary M
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a friend's wedding in the area. The rooms were decently clean and fairly well put together for the price. The only ice machine is at the very front, so good luck with that!

The advertised services were liberally worded at best, bold faced lies at the worst. They advertise a restaurant and bar on premises, but neither was ever open during our weekend stay. I inquired at the front desk about the bar never being open, or the restaurant. I was told that the restaurant and bar are only opened when a private group or party reserves either of them. Since no private group has reserved them the weekend of our visit, they simply would not be opened. This fact was never stated anywhere on any of their advertisements, and is clearly a bait and switch tactic.

I won't visit this establishment again.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Clarence A
bwbannerelk, General Manager at Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on our hotel. I am so sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied during your stay with us. Our ice machine is located at the front of the building but please know that in the future if this is inconvenient for you, please dial “0” and we will have one of our staff members deliver the ice to your room for you. We currently do not have a restaurant or bar at our hotel but we do offer a complimentary hot breakfast buffet daily for all of our guests. We have several meeting rooms and we do offer catering services for meetings and parties. I am very sorry that you were misinformed in regards to there being a restaurant and bar at our hotel. I would love the opportunity to discuss this further with you and find out where the incorrect information is advertised so we can have this removed. Please call me directly at (828) 898-4571 at your convenience.

We greatly value your business and would love for you to give us another opportunity.

Shannon Maness

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed at Best Western Plus Mountain Lodge in Banner Elk, NC one night over Labor Day and found it to be very accommodating. The staff could not have been nicer, including those at the front desk and, especially, the breakfast hostess, Wanda. They offer a FULL, free breakfast - eggs, sausage, grits, the works! Check rates online, but call the hotel for any specials. We ended up with a much better rate by calling. This hotel is dog friendly too, and we were never bothered by barking. Our only complaint was the "pillow top" mattress not being very comfortable, causing you to roll towards the center of the bed. Possibly worn out, needing replacement? I mentioned at checkout that the shower rod was falling down and the desk attendant said it would be fixed that day. The hotel's location was very convenient to Banner Elk, a quaint town that was fun to explore on foot. We had dinner at Bayou Smokehouse & Grill, sat on their patio, where our dog was very welcome. The pot stickers entree is a LOT of meat - we shared it! We loved the Banner Elk Winery - you MUST go there! The wine tasting was well worth $7 each, and the wine hostesses were knowledgeable and friendly. Their wine has won many awards, and after you taste it, you'll know why! (our dog was most welcome there too!) The outside porch and grassy areas yield a wonderful place for picture taking. Note - the temperatures felt a bit cool, even in early September. Take a jacket!

Room Tip: Check rates online, then call hotel for specials; i.e. AAA, Senior, Manager Specials
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Condowner
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Staying on a Sun & Mon night the $84 rate was very manageable and a good value for the accommodations. We requested a room on 1st floor where we could park right outside and they listened & gave us just that. The front desk clerk even offered for us to park our bikes right front in the pull-thru since they were black-topping the parking spaces in front of our room and they would not be available until the next day. Breakfast was better than most and the lady getting our drinks and working in b-fast area was super nice and even remembered us the next morning & what we drank! Room was spacious with a full couch and nice sink w/large shelving separate from the shower area & nice flat-screen TV. Bed a bit firm for my taste but otherwise satisfactory-would def recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
#10 of 18 in Boone
Courtyard Boone
Courtyard Boone
#6 of 18 in Boone

Been to Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk? Share your experiences!