“Better the 2nd time around, but still no sleep”

Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Banner Elk
STALEY,NC
“Better the 2nd time around, but still no sleep”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Came here last Thanksgiving night 2012, and since it is the only hotel close to our get together we reluctantly stayed here again and were pleasantly surprised. The girl at the front desk was awesome, very friendly on phone and in person, no problems at all. The breakfast room has been updated and now serves in their conference room, a better feel and overlooks the pool area. Hot waffles were added to the scrambled eggs, sausage links (luke warm and weird texture, I suggest nuking in micro for 30 secs, then they improve alittle) biscuits and gravy I didn't try. 2 kinds of juice, tea and coffee. Coffee was way watered down, (and I like my coffee weak) but try the main lobby hallway carafes, better coffee there. There was a popcorn maker, but was never running. No popcorn. The beds are still A NIGHTMARE. We had room 221, all 4 of us tossed and turned all night the beds were like sleeping in hammocks, slung way low in the center about 5 inches atleast and covered by a few inch topper. New flat screen tv and better cable selection and pic quality, but the reason for coming to a hotel is for sleep, and not much will be found here. The outside of all rooms are surrounded with ceramic tile that are shiny and when icy in winter is an accident waiting to happen. So dangerous, I suggest to get clear paint and add sand and paint on for better traction. Probably looks nice in summer which is a short season, that tile is insane. Never seen a hotel with ceramic tile outside of rooms. If the beds were replaced I would return, but will go somewhere else next yr and drive a bit just for the sleep alone. I will admit the place was very clean, a big improvement from our last visit, and the front desk cust service was awesome, but still the beds the number one reason for a hotel is still sad and lacking. Time to upgrade the beds or close hotel. NO SALT IS USED, ALL OUTSIDE ICE ON CERAMIC TILE, VERY DANGEROUS.

Room Tip: Be careful in winter, snow on outside tile will break your back. Please walk slow. No salt was used...
1 Thank LOVESJESUS
bwbannerelk, Front Office Manager at Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us another opportunity to provide you with a better guest experience. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed some of our many improvements to our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you did not have a good night's sleep. We have feather down toppers on all of our beds which can very easily be removed. Hopefully this would improve your sleep quality during stay with us. We thank you for staying with us and we do hope you will give us another opportunity in the future. Please call me directly the next time you are coming to the area and I will make sure the feather topper is removed from your bed. We hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and we look forward to seeing you again.

Leeanna Sparks
Guest Service Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 1 December 2013

great hotel, breakfast wasn't that good, and the fitness center could be better, but great location, best staff.very clean rooms and pet friendly. great for family vacation. we are going back there for sure

miami, United States
Reviewed 1 December 2013

my dog and I had a great stay! there could be better beds because the pillow tops shift. my dog absolutely loves his stays - the staff is very attentive to his and my needs which is why we have come back again!

1 Thank Gail M W
Baltimore, United States
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My 85 yr. old mom wanted to see her grandchildren & great-grandchildren. The stay at this Best Western was PERFECT ! The staff was very kind to my mom. She loved the lobby with the fireplace. Having Breakfast on site was very helpful. This experience really helped make a " LOT" of good memories!! Thank You, David

beafort south carolina
Reviewed 1 November 2013

i decided to book a room to see some fall colors, this hotel provided all around average stay. Not bad for the money, room was clean staff was helpful and friendly. Construction was outside but looks like it needed to be done did not bother us. Not many choices for lodging here so i think this was the best for the money, i have stayed at some bed and breakfast here but i like the options that you have for cancelling and getting your money back with b&b's you don't. All in all a nice stay would stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
bwbannerelk, Manager at Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding our hotel. We thank you for staying with us and very much appreciate the feedback. We take great pride in our guest service and also in the cleanliness of the hotel. I am happy to hear that you were pleased with both. I am sorry that there were renovations going on during your stay. We have made many upgrades to the exterior of our building recently and also to the interior of our guest rooms. We would love for you to give us another opportunity in the future. We look forward to seeing you again.

Shannon Maness
Salisbury, Maryland
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We were very pleased with this hotel. The staff was very nice all around. The breakfast was one of the best breakfasts we have ever had at a hotel. The beds were very comfortable and the room was spotless. The hotel is in the perfect location. We were able to visit Grandfather Mountain, the caverns, and take a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I recommend visiting in mid October as the colors on the trees were breathtaking. There are several very good restaurants close by that were recommended by the staff and they were all very good. We are looking forward to coming back this winter as we noticed there are ski slopes close by.

Room Tip: I can't remember our room number but we were able to pull up in front of our door which was very...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ft Washington MD
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We reserved a room at this hotel primarily because it was dog friendly but I would stay here again even if our dog was not traveling with us. When I entered the lobby very late, a nice fire was burning and comfortable couches surrounded the hearth. The young woman at the desk was warm, friendly, and helpful. Our room was on ground level just steps away from the dog walking area which was a huge plus. Breakfast was hot, plentiful and served in pleasant surroundings. While the furnishings are described by some as a little dated, I saw it as a rustic mountain lodge.
My only complaint was the heating system; the room never got cozy warm and the fan was noisy. When I called it to the attention of the morning clerk while checking out she took my information down and said she would have the system checked. She asked why I had not called and complained the night before which I would have done had we checked in earlier and had not hoped the room would heat up once the unit was turned up. She assured me that had I called the front desk the problem would have been solved immediately. I am certain she was sincere but providing extra blankets in the room would have been better/easier for guests who were tired and just wanted to sleep comfortably. I am not one to immediately whine when something is not immediately to my liking and when we realized that the heating system was doing all it was going to do it was very late, we had driven 400 + miles and we just wanted sleep. Checking the heating units prior to arrival is a better option than expecting guests to call if there is a problem.
All of this being said, we did like the room, it was very dog friendly and the breakfast was excellent. Had the heating system been working better, I would have rated this facility 5 stars.

Room Tip: If you are NOT traveling with a dog, be certain to ask for a room away from the dog friendly rooms b...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
#3 of 15 in Blowing Rock
Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock
Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock
#2 of 15 in Blowing Rock

Been to Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk? Share your experiences!