“Dirty and Smelled”

Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Banner Elk
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stay away from this BW. Very disappointed in the cleanliness. And the free breakfast isn't even worth being free. The pool wasn't warm...supposed to be heated, it wasn't. I had intended to stay for 3 nights but left first thing the next morning. Very disappointed, cant believe this was a BW. This is by far the worst BW I've ever stayed at. It will make me think twice about sticking with BW as my "go to" choice in hotels.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 602boba
bwbannerelk, Manager at Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Let me start by saying thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. I want to apologize for all of the issues you had during your stay. We take great pride in the cleanliness of our hotel so it concerns me that you had so many problems. We keep our pool temperature at 87 degrees and this is the first time we have had a complaint that the water is cold. The temperature of the pool is normally always above the air temperature in our area which should make it feel warm. I am very sorry this was not a comfortable temperature for you. I have gone to the room that you checked out of and inspected the room for any damages or smells and haven't found any. We want everyone that stays with us to enjoy their stay, but we know that from time to time, there will be issues. We like to be able to correct these issues that may arise immediately to ensure you have a great stay and to avoid any problems for future guests. I have read our log that we keep at the front desk to see if anything was noted during your stay and it does not look like the issues you had were brought to the attention of any of our staff members. I would love the opportunity to discuss your stay with us so I can better understand the problems you had so we can get them corrected. We greatly value your business and want to do everything we can to ensure you stay with us in the future. Please give me a call at your earliest convenience at (828) 898-4571.

Shannon Maness
Manager

Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel is near Grandfather Mountain in North Carolina. The building, landscaped grounds and parking lot were clean and spotless. Reception was quick and efficient. All staff we encountered were very cheery and helpful. The room was well furnished and clean. The breakfast room was large and well supplied with everything you could want, scrambled eggs and sausages, cereals, toast, fruit, coffee and juices. Staff constantly cleaned the tables and the area. We stayed here for three nights to attend the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games. The Conference area was also pleasant and well cared for. Everything here was quite pleasant and satisfactory.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank PLESLIE23
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We chose to stay at this hotel during our stay due to it's proximity to Grandfather Mountain, as the purpose of our visit was to attend the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games. I typically do not like to stay in hotels with doors on the outside of the hotel. I prefer my room door to be on an interior hallway. After taking a chance, I would definitely stay here again. The rooms appear to be recently updated and are very nice and clean. The lobby area is very attractive and the full breakfast is a nice addition. However, I must say that the staff is the best feature of this hotel. They were always very friendly and very accommodating. When we arrived, our refrigerator did not work. After one call to the desk, they immediately replaced it with a new one which worked great. They were also quick to give us an extended checkout. I would recommend this hotel to any one visiting this area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura K
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We have stayed at Banner Elk BW for the last 4 years , while attending the GMHG, we would NOT stay anywhere else. The staff are extremely friendly and professional. The rooms are comfortable and the breakfast is always hot and plentiful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Thank you so much for a wonderful stay. I took my grand daughters for a three day weekend in your area and our stay was absolutely amazing. The beds were so soft, and the room was very clean. No smelly aromas.....That truely was a plus. The staff was excellent in answering all of our questions and meeting all of our needs. I highly recommend this facility for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Donna L
Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel was everything I was hoping for: comfortable beds, clean linens, heated pool...and that's just the start. We checked into a pet-friendly room not quite knowing what to expect, but it was very clean and comfortable. Even the TV remote controls came in a cute little "sanitized" case. The contintental breakfast was very good and the staff was very attentive. There was a laundry area and the the lobby sold little bags of detergent and dryer sheets for $1.00. The lobby even provided free popcorn and coffee until 10:00 pm.

This hotel could not have been more accommodating and if I travel in this area again, I will definitely stay here. Great value, great stay.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms face the pool area. If you don't like the noise, I would suggest trying to ge...