“Not what it used to be...”

Archer's Mountain Inn
Ranked #7 of 9 Banner Elk B&B and Inns
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“Not what it used to be...”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at Archer's Inn two years ago on a quick business trip. I was impressed with the amazing views and the more than hospitable owners at the time that got up early to make us a full breakfast before we left out again.

Sadly, that wasn't the case when we returned for a short weekend vacation this past weekend. The Inn has changed hands and has declined in quality and service all while retaining it's "upscale" cost.

- the beds were horrible. One of the beds was so rusty, barely moving in the middle of the night sounded like a train trying to stop. The other was quiet but swayed like the ocean with any movement.

- our "breakfast" from a list of four items (muffins, yogurt and fruit) was promised to be delivered at 8 am. At 8:20, it wasn't there and we left to go into town. When we returned, it was sitting on the deck.

- there was literally no water pressure and the tub was scratched and stained. Over the course of two day's stay, our room was NEVER touched - no new bath towels, no making of the beds. Even our basket of "breakfast" from the day before was left on the table. The windows were filthy and coated from not being cleaned, especially noticeable when you see the child's handprints from....who knows when.

- a fridge was provided but wasn't turned on. The breaker had been turned off.

If this were a quick, overnight motel for $65-$80, I would have expected about the same....but for $130 a night (at least), I will find somewhere else to stay when I go back.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
3 Thank Dwayne H
Archers_Mountain_Inn, Owner at Archer's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
I'm so sorry your experience here was NOT a good one. We did purchase a lodge that is in need of repair, and we are working daily on the "hard" goods, while we have replaced all the towels, 400 thread count linens, in-room amenities. We refresh the rooms daily, and truly do not understand why your room was not tended to, my deepest apologies. The breakfast also comes with Sausage/egg/cheese and ham/egg cheese biscuits, I'm not sure why those options were not given to you.

This is disheartening, and we are truly sorry you did not have a great experience here? Best, Gloria

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Stayed in the Carolina room. It is true that the carpet needs repair but they are in the process of remodeling . I didn't rent it for the floor or the extras that people expect. I rented it for the peaceful atmosphere. There is no phone in the room and we didn't even look at the TV. The bed was soft and comfortable. The rocking chairs on the porch were perfect. We were able to look out at the mountains and watch the sun set. The fridge was cold and kept our drinks cold.
We have stayed over the years many times and absolutely love this place. When we return home we are so relaxed. It's almost magical.... If you take the time to relax and listen .... and enjoy... We will return again..
Stayed at most of the hotels in Beech, Banner Elk, Boone, Blowing Rock. Most at one time or another needed remodeling. Archers was spectacular in 1999 it will be again!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Miduncan3
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 15 August 2013

If you're looking for a Hilton in the mountains, then this is not the place for you, but if you're looking for a slightly more upscale than cabin option, then this lodge is definitely for you. We stayed at the Hawk's View portion of the Inn, and, it was an absolutely wonderful experience. The room was a great size, with a kitchen area, seating area, and beautiful fireplace. The best part are the huge windows that cover one of the walls, they look out over the edge of the mountain! There's a porch and rocking chairs right outside your door, so you can sit and enjoy your coffee with a beautiful view.

The room is modestly decorated, like a cabin, and the amenities are modest, as one would expect from a cabin/lodge. I think what really puts this place over the edge is that it was a great value, and the staff was absolutely wonderful. The new owners have only had the place for about two months, but they live near the property, and they are always rushing around meeting the guests' needs. They bring you breakfast in the cutest basket (with fresh fruit and muffins and breakfast sandwiches!). They have information about all the local trails and restaurants, and they bring you anything you could possibly need without trying to charge you for every little favor. I would definitely go back to this place. It was wonderful to come back from our hike and get extra towels, even though our room had already been cleaned, hand delivered by the owners themselves.

Finally, we never ate at the restaurant (though it was really popular), but we did go to the bar for drinks, which were pretty amazing. Definitely try their Pineapple Upside Down Martini. Yum.

1 Thank Medleyvn
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Make absolutely sure that you print the directions from the website and do not rely on GPS to get to this location. I'm usually one to know that but my printout in all my papers was not good and we had to rely on GPS and got really lost on the other side of Beech Mountain. There were plenty of switchbacks and recreation areas wherever it was that we were along with gravel roads and loss of cell signal altogether in patches; but we finally made it!

It was extremely welcoming to arrive at 11pm on Friday evening. The owners had just tried to call me. We were greeted by Gloria and her husband at check in and I told them of our experience. They were very warm people and they just became the new owners of the Inn not long ago. I really think that the Inn will end up with better reviews and had mentioned to them that I noticed the reviews had been good about them since they took over as I read the reviews before I went.

The night we arrived, I had hoped to be there much earlier; however, since I got in so late, I missed having my dinner there as I had hoped for my birthday. Luckily, we had stopped for snacks in Boone to have with us in the room. It was very nice though upon arrival to go upstairs to the bar area. The bartender was amazing. He was absolutely great. They all had a great attitude here and were upbeat people. I asked if he could make me a Blue Hawaiian and he did an awesome job. I had to have another! There is a pocket pool table up there as well and we had fun playing on that.

We stayed in the Virginia room for 2 nights. When I reserved, it was only 2 weeks ahead of time and there were only 2 rooms available at that time which were the Carolina room or the Virginia room. I wanted to spend my birthday weekend there and Gloria, the owner had told me on the phone that those 2 rooms actually didn't have "the view". They do have a porch area with chairs but they face the opposite way. This was no problem for us at all. The room did have a musty almost cat smell to it. We were informed that there were all new linens since the new ownership and something to the effect of the room being in bad shape when they acquired it and how it is much better than it was. Things appeared clean. There were a couple of cobwebs with daddy longlegs but that didn't bother us. There is no coffee maker or refrigerator in this room; but Gloria did bring coffee to us in the mornings with our breakfast. We didn't try the fireplace. There is an old TV in this room and we didn't see a remote. No big deal to me; but it may be to someone.

Saturday, we spent all day in the room with the exception of dinner. I have asthma and it had flared up big time. I'd had some trouble with it 2 weeks prior; so I can't blame it on the musty room smell but I can't eliminate that either or the fact that I was staying at a higher elevation being in the mountains. I really don't blame them at all to be honest. Breakfast was brought to us at the time we requested. We filled out our request at check in. We got to choose a flavor of greek yogurt, a muffin, and a bowl of fresh cut fruit. This was plenty and all was yummy. She also brought the coffee as I mentioned before. We made dinner reservations for 8pm at the onsite Jackalope's View. The dinner was amazing. I had the scallops and he had the pork chop along with more drinks from the bartender upstairs. The view is outstanding but probably is best seen with an earlier reservation. We did spend quite a bit of time there at dinner as the pork chop took a while; but it was very worth it. The owner did walk around the restaurant and check with everyone to make sure their food was amazing and we saw the owners interacting with everyone there. I really liked them and think they will do well here.

Sunday was checkout day. Our breakfast was brought again and on this day we had a slightly different choice for breakfast as they had an ham/egg/cheese sandwich along with fresh fruit and the coffee was brought to us again. She noticed our room had not been cleaned from the day before and I mentioned to her that we were in the room all day. She knew I wasn't feeling well; so she said for us to take our time on checkout as no one was to check in to that particular room that day.

I really enjoyed this trip despite my asthma flare up. The bottom line is that the new owners seem to be great and seem to care about their customers. They are interactive and I think a great fit for the Inn. I think when they get everything done in the rooms that the Inn will be up to great standards. The view is awesome. I would definitely visit again and try a different room. If I couldn't, I would definitely recommend a visit to the restaurant or bar if ever in the area.

1 Thank kts70281
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I reserved a room at this B&B based on their website. the room we were given was in a sad state of repair!! The carpet was ripped down the middle of the room, there were cobwebs everywhere, the coffee pot was barely usable due to age, the mini fridge was iced over and the maid service did not clean our room the entire time except for emptying the trash and coffee pot!! We talked to the owner and she agreed that they should not have rented it until it was redone. The only reason we stayed was because we had family events in the area and did not have time to search for another room. A sign in the room said breakfast was available in the dining room at 8am but the dining room was closed and no one around to ask about it. We later found out that a small basket of 2 muffins and yogurt is delivered at 9am. We never received any breakfast!! The final straw was the fireplace log we got from the office which never did burn. I requested a 50% credit because I felt that was fair based on the fact that we had stayed and they did give us a charge credit. The room has a lot of potential but I would suggest you make sure it has been updated and cleaned before you reserve the Carolina room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Carolyn H
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

After a round-about (although scenic) trip to arrive at the Archer's Mtn Inn around 7 pm, Gloria, Patty, and the rest of the staff were very accommodating to us. Our two-night stay for our 30th anniversary was relaxing, with delicious meals and a glorious view! The Appalachian Room was very spacious, with a sofa facing a fireplace, and a small kitchenette area. We enjoyed sitting in the rockers on the deck looking out at the two mountains. We were given suggestions on things to do, especially since I was on crutches. The trip to Grandfather Mountain and the Mile-high swinging bridge was fabulous. Bonnie and Jennifer were very helpful in giving us directions to our next destination, since our directions to the Inn were not so direct. Since my wife and I love the mountains, this retreat was perfect!

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We weren't real sure what to expect since we got this through Living Social. Wow, were we pleasantly surprised. The room we stayed in was nice complete with fire place and a private patio with rocking chairs. Gloria, one of the owners, is terrific. I love the fact that you can park and be done. Everything you need is right there. I would highly recommend the restaurant. The service was wonderful and the food was fantastic. The bar is very nice and again service was great. Everyone was very friendly. We will be going back for sure.

1 Thank Robin H
#1 of 9 in Banner Elk
Beech Alpen Inn
Beech Alpen Inn
#1 of 2 in Beech Mountain

Been to Archer's Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!