“A Magical Mountain Experience”

Archer's Mountain Inn
Ranked #7 of 9 Banner Elk B&B and Inns
Charlotte, North Carolina
“A Magical Mountain Experience”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We had a truly marvelous and magical time at this wonderful inn. THE BEST!!! Everything was incredible – the rooms (cozy, clean, roomy, and so well appointed, with a fireplace in every room – you felt at home immediately) the on-site restaurant (Jackalopes – outstanding, the menu, wine list, service and atmosphere were all A+++), the staff (totally committed to customer service at it’s finest), the scenery (what a view from every room, with porches and comfy rocking chairs – you can see for miles), the town and surrounding area (full of fun things to do for any inclination). There is something for everyone – from high adventure to laying back and just relaxing.

The Inn is under new management, and they are making the best even better! Archer’s Inn / Jackalopes are a must visit and a great value, too! You are sure to have a most memorable and extraordinary experience there. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Go online to their website to get a great preview of each room. You can also call for help, and the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The owners really got to know everyone and made sure we were happy with out weekend. I honestly can say that I love Gloria and look forward to coming to see her again. My weekend wouldn't have been the same without her. Breakfast in bed was the highlight of my trip. Definitely booking with them again!

• Stayed September 2013
North Carolina
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Our first trip to Archer’s Mountain Inn, in December 1996, was a quick week-end getaway for our 1st anniversary. We stayed in an upper Hawksnest room and loved it for its rustic feel, beautiful views, rocking chair porch, fireplace, delicious breakfast, and peaceful solitude. Over the years, we returned perhaps 4-5 times as a couple, then brought our daughter on our prior two visits, in 2004 and 2007. We recommended Archer’s to friends and family. After 2007, we tried to stay at Archer’s a couple of times, but there was no availability in the Hawksnest building , which is where we prefer to stay due to the kitchenette and large living space. When we planned to spend the night for an evening football game in Boone in September 2013, I immediately thought of Archer’s and was pleased to find a room in the Hawksnest building for the week-end. Just prior to our trip, I discovered that the Inn had changed ownership during the summer. I was not overly concerned. After all, it’s still Archer’s Inn. Unfortunately, our excitement in returning to Archer’s after 6 years turned into disappointment.

The postitives: It’s still a great location with great mountain views. Jackalope’s View is still a very good restaurant with very good service.

The negatives:

--I stood for over 15m for someone (the owner, I assume) to check us in. She was apparently off-site. Several people working in the restaurant apologized, but could not help or explain why no one was around who could do the check-in. Not a major issue, but still.

--What we viewed as “rustic” and “quaint” 10-15 years ago, now just seemed broken down and old. Have we gotten pickier and used to a higher standard as we’ve gotten older? Probably. However, with the exception of some nicer towels & toiletries in the bathroom, there have been no other noticeable upgrades to the aging furniture, carpet, lighting and décor in 20 years:

• The two poster bed frames were both bowed inward, rickety, and squeaky. We were worried one might collapse under our weight.

• The mattresses were bad and the pillows were WORSE. I had to fold my pillow in half to use it semi-comfortably. I don’t ever remember having a bad night’s sleep at Archer’s before, until now.

• The light in the ceiling fan did not work. Although there was a small chandelier over the dinette table and a fluorescent light over the kitchenette, the majority of the room was lit by only a small lamp on the nightstand with what looked like a 20 watt bulb. Unless the blinds were open and the sun was out, the room was DARK. We had to use our headlamps to help us pack up as it was overcast the last morning.

• The room was stuffy and too warm despite having the ceiling fan on high the entire trip. We slept with the door open on the 2nd night, but eventually closed it as we weren’t comfortable sleeping with just a rickety, unlockable screen between us and the outside. The outside temps were in the low 60’s-upper 50’s, so it wasn’t a “hot” time of the year.

• The only mirror in the room was in the bathroom, so only 1 person at a time could get ready in the morning. Though, if there had been another mirror, it would have been too dark in the room to use it.

• Instead of path lights, bright, corner lights on the building are used to illuminate the walkway in front of the Hawksnest building. This made sitting in the rocking chairs and enjoying the evening much less enjoyable squinting at a bright light the whole time.

The complimentary, cooked-to-order full breakfast at Jackalope’s is a thing of the past. We did not realize how much we would miss that and how much it added to the “experience” of staying at Archer’s. Instead, you complete a sheet indicating your choice of “breakfast” (muffins, yogurt, fruit or biscuit, yogurt, fruit). You also indicate what time you would like it delivered (between 8-10am). We indicated 8am for both mornings. On the first morning, the breakfast had not arrived by 8:45am. Still in our pj’s, I called the office (on my cell phone) but got an answering machine. I left a message that we had not received our breakfast. An hour later, the breakfast had still not arrived. We packed up and left at 9:45am, headed to Boone and ate breakfast at McDonald’s at 10am. When we returned at 9:45pm, we found that someone had placed our breakfast in the mini-fridge after we left. No note of explanation, no apology that our breakfast was delivered 2 hours late and after we had left for the day. On the 2nd morning, the breakfast was delivered 30m late (as the screen door finally fell completely down) but was missing one yogurt, one fruit, and forks. It was “ok”, but no better than the complimentary breakfast you get at any of the chain hotels in Boone. Plus, you’re at least assured of actually getting breakfast AND getting it when you want it at those hotels. Charging for breakfast in the room rate, not providing it when you say you will, offering no apology or credit for the missed meal, is just pitiful service.

Conclusion: This was probably our last stay at Archer’s Inn. There are too many nice condos in the area at the same or lower price point (over $175/night) . Even the nicer chain hotels in Boone offer a comfortable bed and a large assortment of pillows. I know renovation takes time, but I think improving the quality of sleep of these rooms would go much farther than fixing cosmetic things like towels and toiletries (think “lipstick on a pig”). Excellent service can also take some of the focus off the far-less-than 3 star rooms.

Room Tip: Wait until they renovate the rooms before going.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank JDA95
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Called four times to make a reservation, left one message which was never returned. I spoke to three different employees on the property who said the manager will return my call. Never heard back. These folks don't want your business, otherwise they'd use good sense and customer service. Good luck with this property.........

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Mary M
Marion, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My husband & I drove to Banner Elk to 'look' at the Fox Pointe House/Cabin we will be staying in soon with all the kids. Gloria was a lovely, bubbly, beautiful full of hospitality hostess! The Jackalope Restaurant had wonderful servers & outstanding food! This is truly Gods Country at his best!
If you're wanting upscale 5th Avenue every speck clean, every detail perfect: move on. This is the country people! In the mountains, there are bugs that fly in, there are things that go bump in the night, and yep there is turkey running around, bear poop, deer poop, and critters, etc...

HOWEVER, if you're looking for a view that will make you sigh, a night sky full of sparkling diamonds, the sounds of nature at her best, the smell of the forest floor, then come to Archers Inn and rent a cabin/house. We spent the night at one of the houses/cabin rental.
It was a beautiful house & wonderful experience. The house was enormous, with a full kitchen area (everything you need but your food/drink!), seating area (large dining room table with 8 chairs), and beautiful fireplace (upstairs and downstairs!). HUGE bay windows that face an awe- inspiring view of the mountains! 2 decks, actually 3! One with a porch swing, the other with table/chairs and who can forget the hot tub! The house is modestly decorated, like a cabin, and the amenities are awesome (coffee maker, crock pot, stew pot, everything you have in your own kitchen!!). I think what really puts this place over the edge is that it was a great value, and the staff was absolutely wonderful.
Oh, and whatever you need, Gloria will get it! No problem. She really is a terrific hostess!
The NEW owners have not been there long, but when we drove into the area, Gloria bounced out of one of the houses to greet us! I think they live very close by.
They have information about all the local trails and restaurants.
Worth the $$$, most definitely! My husband and I even discussed coming back in a few years to renew our vows here....
Whatever 'problem' may arise, Gloria is quick to fix it!
ONE more thing!! FOLLOW HER WEBSITE DIRECTIONS TO GET THERE! DON'T USE GPS!

East Bend, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My wife and I stayed in the Roof Garden suite for our anniversary weekend. It was an awesome getaway being able to relax in a peaceful and beautiful setting. The room was spacious and amenities were excellent. We really enjoyed the Jacuzzi on the deck outside our room.
The Inn has an excellent restaurant… We liked it so much we ate there both evenings we were there. I would highly recommend the Crème Brule!!. Downtown Banner Elk is only a few minutes from the Inn..so you want to go out, it is an easy drive.
Of course, it is the people that makes any stay memorable. Everyone at the Inn was very friendly and service was excellent. All the staff went out of the way to make our stay as comfortable and pleasurable as possible. If you want to get away for some quiet time in a comfortable and cozy atmosphere, I would highly recommend staying at the Inn.
We will definitely be back!!

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at Archer's Inn two years ago on a quick business trip. I was impressed with the amazing views and the more than hospitable owners at the time that got up early to make us a full breakfast before we left out again.

Sadly, that wasn't the case when we returned for a short weekend vacation this past weekend. The Inn has changed hands and has declined in quality and service all while retaining it's "upscale" cost.

- the beds were horrible. One of the beds was so rusty, barely moving in the middle of the night sounded like a train trying to stop. The other was quiet but swayed like the ocean with any movement.

- our "breakfast" from a list of four items (muffins, yogurt and fruit) was promised to be delivered at 8 am. At 8:20, it wasn't there and we left to go into town. When we returned, it was sitting on the deck.

- there was literally no water pressure and the tub was scratched and stained. Over the course of two day's stay, our room was NEVER touched - no new bath towels, no making of the beds. Even our basket of "breakfast" from the day before was left on the table. The windows were filthy and coated from not being cleaned, especially noticeable when you see the child's handprints from....who knows when.

- a fridge was provided but wasn't turned on. The breaker had been turned off.

If this were a quick, overnight motel for $65-$80, I would have expected about the same....but for $130 a night (at least), I will find somewhere else to stay when I go back.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
3 Thank Dwayne H
Archers_Mountain_Inn, Owner at Archer's Mountain Inn, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
I'm so sorry your experience here was NOT a good one. We did purchase a lodge that is in need of repair, and we are working daily on the "hard" goods, while we have replaced all the towels, 400 thread count linens, in-room amenities. We refresh the rooms daily, and truly do not understand why your room was not tended to, my deepest apologies. The breakfast also comes with Sausage/egg/cheese and ham/egg cheese biscuits, I'm not sure why those options were not given to you.

This is disheartening, and we are truly sorry you did not have a great experience here? Best, Gloria
Also consider these accommodations in or near Banner Elk
#1 of 9 in Banner Elk
The Inn at Elk River
The Inn at Elk River
#1 of 9 in Banner Elk

Been to Archer's Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!