“For the money”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Banner Elk
Sugar Ski & Country Club
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Banner Elk
Reviewed 3 January 2012

For the money spent I would rather be someplace else. It has great potential to be a nice place. Our room had a Whirlpool tub in living room but the hot water tank could not support it so it was a cold whirlpool. not even enough Hot water for a Hot bath after a long day on the slopes., Which......they said it was slope side and only a few hundred feet from access. But they did not say THAT slope was not being used when we booked. There is no internet access in the condos themselves. And they have fireplaces but you have to pay for firewood, Bring your own towels......they only leave one per person and you have to pay for extras. we stayed for three nights. There is no housekeeping services. I was let down for the weekend. When you are on the slopes all day you don't want to do laundry in a laundry mat or have to use a damp towel the next day. Small things could make a huge difference for this place.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
SugarSkiCondos, Manager at Sugar Ski & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Hi Mary,
So sorry you had an unpleasant visit. Even after we changed out the element in the hot water heater during your stay, it appears it did not do the trick and I will have the owner work on a replacement. The unit is just steps from Big Red which normally opens Christmas week for the season. When you booked earlier in the month, everyone was still of the opinion we would get the slope open by Christmas but the weather did not cooperate. The unit was set up for the number of guest allowed with information about onsite laundry facilities and access in the clubhouse only to wifi...I am sorry this was a inconvenience. I do hope you found a bathing suit and got to enjoy the clubhouse as we discussed that morning. Please call me direct to try again as we would love to have you back! Hope Harvey, Property Manager

There are newer reviews for Sugar Ski & Country Club

Reviewed 18 September 2011

This is my 2nd time to Sugar Ski & Country Club. We rented a condo unit for the weekend. It was a 1 bedroom 1 bath, super cozy and comfortable. Perfect for my husband and I for a romantic weekend. The weather is great in September around 60 during the day. Perfect weather for hiking. You can simply get on a trail right from the resort, we hiked to the summit of the mountain. The condo has a balcony that is perfect for viewing beech mountain. Also can see local wildlife. The pool area which is indoors also has hot tub, sauna and super clean shower/changing facilities. Parking is right in front of condos. Everything is super convenient. Laundry building, vending etc....I am sure this place is rocking in the winter with skiing. We prefer it when its calm and warm. Close to everything, restaurants, grocery store, local destinations like Grandfather Mtn, Banner Elk, etc.. We love this place and will definitely return soon.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank beachesgalore
SugarSkiCondos, Manager at Sugar Ski & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

So glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to your next visit....and yes, we are wide open during ski season!! We have a ski and snowboard rental shop in the clubhouse....where the lounge is now...so we are real convenient for skiiers. Come back soon!
Hope Harvey, Property Manager

Reviewed 25 August 2011

This resort is only an hour from our home and my husband bought this week for me to relax and recover from a terrible cold, giving me an opportunity to just rest and get well. I stayed in Building 1 and I haven't told my husband what a miserable trip it was. There are numerous steps to climb to this unit and I was exhausted after making several trips up. I hurt my shoulder climbing up all those steps with my bags. This one bedroom unit is only suitable for one person, not six as their website says. There is a queen bed in the bedroom, sofa bed and a bunkbed, but how could 6 people stay here with one very small bathroom. The bed was so hard that I slept on the couch the whole week. The whole unit is so small, there is no space to put the appliances on the counter and nowhere to put your food. I kept my food on the kitchen table (which sat against the fireplace) and had only two chairs. The only redeeming quality for me was the seclusion, the view and it was very quiet, not many people are here in August. I don't recommed this resort to anyone and I really don't know why it is called a country club.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank MtngirlTN

Greetings! I am so sorry your stay at Sugar Ski was disappointing. All our units except for 4, out of a total of 171, have stairs. Unfortunately, the one bedroom building has more than any other building but it is close to the clubhouse and has great views. The kitchens are compact and the units are designed to sleep 4 comfortably. I do have larger units and units with less steps if you ever want to try us again for peace and quiet....and hopefully use the amenities next visit. Thank You, Hope Harvey, Property Manager

Reviewed 11 December 2010

We had an efficiency condo (with kitchen and fireplace) in building 10 which is just a short walk to the Big Red intermediate lift/slope. It is in a gated community that has an indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, and sauna in the visitors center (a separate building that is a little walk, but not too far). It had one bed and a sofa sleeper that faced the bed. There were a few things that could have been nicer (sofa sleeper was not comfortable, 2 slats in the mini-blinds were missing, kitchen closet door wouldn't stay shut), but overall it was one of the best deals we found and we found it to be quiet. An alternative to consider is the Best Western if you don't care about the amenities mentioned above and want a better price.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank NashvilleSteve
SugarSkiCondos, Manager at Sugar Ski & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2011

So glad you enjoyed your stay! I have many owners planning to replace their sofa sleepers and/or the mattress on their existing units during the off season. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you next year! Hope Harvey, Sugar Ski Manager

Reviewed 12 February 2010

We booked with Sugar Mountain Lodging and we stayed in unit 132. Building one, 3rd floor...number 32. No elevator.It was an efficiency with bunk beds in hallway. The sleeper sofa was a torture rack very uncomfortable..but it was the couple that stayed only 2 nights that had to sleep on it. THERE IS NO BUS SERVICE DURING THE WEEK. ONLY ON WEEKENDS! SML Cody and Mathew said runs all the time. NOT TRUE! Otherwise its OK. We rented skis from the ski resort and avoided the little shop. Roads kept very snow free. Fantastic view from balcony.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2010

The condo 10-401 was clean but very small. The electric heater was loud and the room was either too hot or too cold. The snow machines at the top of the mountain are extremely loud and run all night long. The description lead us to believe we were slope side which was true, but we were at the top of the slope. That makes a difference in deciding where to stay if you don't have snow tires, 4-wheel drive, or chains, all of which we didn't have. Fortunately the road is well salted and the weather was good. The skiing from the top is too challenging for a beginner so we ended up having to drive to the bottom to ski anyway. The steps and walkways weren't very well maintained and covered with snow. We didn't use the pool facilities and really couldn't figure out how to get there without putting on all the winter gear and boots and schlepping up there to swim.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 January 2010

We stayed in an efficency unit. It was small, but comfortable. The price was reasonable & being slope side made it convenient.

My only caveat to that is you are slopeside at the top of a blue (intermediate) ski run. So if you or someone in your party is not up to skiing at that that level, you will need to get to the bottom of the mountain to ski the green, beginner slopes. The drive down is not a short one, so the convenience will be lost.

We did not have problems with the ski rental in the lobby & it was very convenient for us. Also the folks working there were very helpful, especially when we needed to exchange ski boots for our son.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
LaQuinta Inn & Suites Boone
Meadowbrook Inn
Meadowbrook Inn
#6 of 15 in Blowing Rock

Been to Sugar Ski & Country Club? Share your experiences!