See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed in one of the 2 bedroom 2 bath condos right on big red slope. We were so disappointed that the lift was not open, but were then so happy that the walk to upper mile was short and flat. Even with the walk, i was happy to not to have to drive to the bottom of the slope. Our last day there big red was open and it was so easy to get on and off the slope! Condo was clean and neat. Customer service was great. we didn't ask for much, but one day i went to the office and asked if they sold bread ( the one day it was really cold and snowy) and the lady at the front desk said they didn't sell bread but that she could spare a couple of slices if I needed! Thank goodness it wasn't that desperate...We were able to get down the mountain later that day. We will plan to stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank amy g
SugarSkiCondos, Manager at Sugar Ski & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2012

Hi! So glad you enjoyed your stay and we really would have shared our bread or my sandwich thins!! I am glad you found our location ideally suited for your NC mountain ski vacation. We will see you next time. Hope Harvey, Property Manager

Reviewed 3 January 2012

For the money spent I would rather be someplace else. It has great potential to be a nice place. Our room had a Whirlpool tub in living room but the hot water tank could not support it so it was a cold whirlpool. not even enough Hot water for a Hot bath after a long day on the slopes., Which......they said it was slope side and only a few hundred feet from access. But they did not say THAT slope was not being used when we booked. There is no internet access in the condos themselves. And they have fireplaces but you have to pay for firewood, Bring your own towels......they only leave one per person and you have to pay for extras. we stayed for three nights. There is no housekeeping services. I was let down for the weekend. When you are on the slopes all day you don't want to do laundry in a laundry mat or have to use a damp towel the next day. Small things could make a huge difference for this place.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
SugarSkiCondos, Manager at Sugar Ski & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Hi Mary,
So sorry you had an unpleasant visit. Even after we changed out the element in the hot water heater during your stay, it appears it did not do the trick and I will have the owner work on a replacement. The unit is just steps from Big Red which normally opens Christmas week for the season. When you booked earlier in the month, everyone was still of the opinion we would get the slope open by Christmas but the weather did not cooperate. The unit was set up for the number of guest allowed with information about onsite laundry facilities and access in the clubhouse only to wifi...I am sorry this was a inconvenience. I do hope you found a bathing suit and got to enjoy the clubhouse as we discussed that morning. Please call me direct to try again as we would love to have you back! Hope Harvey, Property Manager

Reviewed 18 September 2011

This is my 2nd time to Sugar Ski & Country Club. We rented a condo unit for the weekend. It was a 1 bedroom 1 bath, super cozy and comfortable. Perfect for my husband and I for a romantic weekend. The weather is great in September around 60 during the day. Perfect weather for hiking. You can simply get on a trail right from the resort, we hiked to the summit of the mountain. The condo has a balcony that is perfect for viewing beech mountain. Also can see local wildlife. The pool area which is indoors also has hot tub, sauna and super clean shower/changing facilities. Parking is right in front of condos. Everything is super convenient. Laundry building, vending etc....I am sure this place is rocking in the winter with skiing. We prefer it when its calm and warm. Close to everything, restaurants, grocery store, local destinations like Grandfather Mtn, Banner Elk, etc.. We love this place and will definitely return soon.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank beachesgalore
SugarSkiCondos, Manager at Sugar Ski & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

So glad you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to your next visit....and yes, we are wide open during ski season!! We have a ski and snowboard rental shop in the clubhouse....where the lounge is now...so we are real convenient for skiiers. Come back soon!
Hope Harvey, Property Manager

Reviewed 25 August 2011

This resort is only an hour from our home and my husband bought this week for me to relax and recover from a terrible cold, giving me an opportunity to just rest and get well. I stayed in Building 1 and I haven't told my husband what a miserable trip it was. There are numerous steps to climb to this unit and I was exhausted after making several trips up. I hurt my shoulder climbing up all those steps with my bags. This one bedroom unit is only suitable for one person, not six as their website says. There is a queen bed in the bedroom, sofa bed and a bunkbed, but how could 6 people stay here with one very small bathroom. The bed was so hard that I slept on the couch the whole week. The whole unit is so small, there is no space to put the appliances on the counter and nowhere to put your food. I kept my food on the kitchen table (which sat against the fireplace) and had only two chairs. The only redeeming quality for me was the seclusion, the view and it was very quiet, not many people are here in August. I don't recommed this resort to anyone and I really don't know why it is called a country club.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank MtngirlTN

Greetings! I am so sorry your stay at Sugar Ski was disappointing. All our units except for 4, out of a total of 171, have stairs. Unfortunately, the one bedroom building has more than any other building but it is close to the clubhouse and has great views. The kitchens are compact and the units are designed to sleep 4 comfortably. I do have larger units and units with less steps if you ever want to try us again for peace and quiet....and hopefully use the amenities next visit. Thank You, Hope Harvey, Property Manager

Reviewed 11 December 2010

We had an efficiency condo (with kitchen and fireplace) in building 10 which is just a short walk to the Big Red intermediate lift/slope. It is in a gated community that has an indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, and sauna in the visitors center (a separate building that is a little walk, but not too far). It had one bed and a sofa sleeper that faced the bed. There were a few things that could have been nicer (sofa sleeper was not comfortable, 2 slats in the mini-blinds were missing, kitchen closet door wouldn't stay shut), but overall it was one of the best deals we found and we found it to be quiet. An alternative to consider is the Best Western if you don't care about the amenities mentioned above and want a better price.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank NashvilleSteve
SugarSkiCondos, Manager at Sugar Ski & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2011

So glad you enjoyed your stay! I have many owners planning to replace their sofa sleepers and/or the mattress on their existing units during the off season. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you next year! Hope Harvey, Sugar Ski Manager