“Try the fried Okra”

Price range: US$6 - US$20
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Open since 2003, The Bayou offers Authentic Cajun and Texas Cuisine served in a casual, comfortable atmosphere. Outdoor, dog-friendly deck dining in the summer, fireplace dining in the winter. Free WiFi, Children's Menu and Wine Amnesty available. Adjacent Bayou General Store offering Beer, Wine, Locally Made Items, Souvenir Mementos and more. Please see the Bayou Smokehouse & Grill, Banner Elk Facebook Page for Specials, Live Music, Events and area information.
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Had dinner here with live music and good beer last Tuesday,a Texas/Louisana flavour menu will not disappoint,we had Texas fajitas with Cajun fries ,melting he mouth ribs and fried okra,a taste delight.The craft bottle beer on offer was varied and the Abita / Jockamo was my favourite.The servers and bar staff delightful,a feature of our trip is how pleasant and attentive all of the people we have met.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

Your not going to be dissatisfied or disappointed with Bayou Smokehouse & Grill. Go hungry. In the heart of Banner Elk country, this resteraunt will satisfy your need for BBQ.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

Good sampling of beers...outdoor seating or inside bar and tables. Food overall is average to good...but I love the beer options and sitting outside under an umbrella while using wifi. Relaxing stop over if in town for the week ...a place to connect.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

My wife and I stopped in to this place and as soon as I bit in to our food, I regretted it. The brisket I ordered tasted like it was microwaved, and the BBQ sauce was like water. I only took two bites before I gave up on it. My wife's chicken-fried steak was incredibly brittle, and when we took it apart, only about an eighth of an inch was actually meat -- the rest was fried crust. Our sides were watery and definitely tasted microwaved. I actually don't know if anything that we got was cooked to order, and if it wasn't, it was REALLY overpriced.

The atmosphere was surprisingly bad. When we looked up the place it sounded like a little steakhouse, but inside it was more like a bar. I could smell smoke the whole time. The walls and floors were filthy...I hope the kitchen was a bit cleaner...

I do regret not complaining while I was in the restaurant, but I shouldn't have to when both our dishes were just so consistently awful...it should've never been served to us. We had so many phenomenal meals while we were in the mountains; even the little cafes and sandwich shops we visited had great food. But this Bayou Smokehouse and Grill...it was the worst meal I've had in seven years.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Great food....best brisket ever. Pretzel bun chicken sandwich special was AMAZING! We ate here numerous times on our visit and each time the food was very good. Nice relaxing place to hang out. We really enjoyed the covered patio. Our only complaint was that one female sever was particularly RUDE. The female manager was also busy and came across kind of snippy. This was all compensated by an extremely friendly/ helpful young male manager. We would absolutely eat here again!