“Location Location and Comfort”
Review of Smoketree Lodge

Smoketree Lodge
Smoketree Lodge
Reviewed 29 January 2013

I have stayed at Smoketree Lodge 3-4 times a year since 2009. This is a very clean and lives up to the Lodge name. If you are scared of cigarette smoke or don't like the smell this may not be the place for you though( personally I don't think you can smell anything). I love it, the rooms are nice the beds are comfy and the staff is great! They have 2 small saunas and nice warm pool in the winter too. They also have a hot tub, pool table, video games, a grilling area and hiking trails. One of my favorite things about ST is the location, you are only 15- 20 minutes away from any ski resort you can name, Grandfather Mountain, Boone, Blowing Rock, and Banner Elk and entrances to the Blue Ridge Parkway are all just a stone throw away. I take my kids once a year too they are 11 and 12 they just love it, def a place that kids can go and have fun.Ask for the upper floors the lowest floor is near the pool and the WiFi doesn't work in those 3 rooms.

Room Tip: Upper rooms on the front have nice views.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 August 2012

We stayed for one night at the Smoketree Lodge. It's definitely an affordable option in the area. Our room was on an upper floor and very cute. We knew ahead of time that all the rooms were smoking, and they claimed to have put some sort of smoke removal/cleaning machine in ahead of time. I came prepared with Febreeze as well (both air and fabric types). It honestly was pretty bad, but I'm really sensitive to smoke. It was just a night, but I wouldn't be able to stay here any longer. If they went smoke free, then it would be a good choice.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelsWithRuby
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I don't usually write negative reviews but Smoketree was unacceptable. This was the absolutely worst place I've been to. I had a reservation for a week and stayed only one nite. The room reeked of stale cigarettes. Don't waste your money stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We stayed at Smoketree this year and the year before - then in a room on an upper floor and our latest stay in the basement. So this rating actually takes into account the previous stay and this one. Previous stay was good and would rate it a 3 -- averaged with this stay's rating of 1, it comes out to a strong 2 overall.
Smoketree claims to have both smoking and non-smoking rooms when in fact all rooms are smoking. When they find out you require a non-smoking, they put an air cleaner in the room prior to your arrival. Both visits we were greeted with the faint smell of smoke along with the more dangerous, sticky residue from third hand smoke and tar over all the surfaces. If you're not sensitive to this you'd most likely rate the place higher and find it more appealing.
Compound that with putting us in the basement "studio" with barely enough room to move around, poor layout, and the occasional cockroach - you get the picture.
Interior and exterior are deteriorating, in need of major upgrades, worn carpets, old wall paper, and a good coat of paint. We didn't find it rustic, we found it shabby.
And the front desk help - very unhelpful. You'd think with three of them sitting around the lobby office, chatting about their day-to-day lives, at least one of them might fake enthusiasm when you ask an important question concerning your room, events in the area. Better yet, forget asking their advice. Overhearing advice about dining out, one of them directed a couple back to Boone. We found several great places to eat within a few miles of the place.
Needless to say, we've found better accomdations elsewhere in the High Country - OK, it's a couple bucks more, but the owner/operator is warm and friendly and we look forward to our visit next year. I'll report back on our stay.

Room Tip: As close to the lobby as possible. Turn down the basement rooms and ask for a room closest to the e...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My two boys, ages 20 & 10, and I stayed June 14-17. We had a one bedroom unit. The kids had the front room, which had a kitchenette with a full sz refrigerator, queen pull out sofa and table with chairs. Plenty of room for the three of us. The bedroom had a queen bed, which was very comfortable. Housekeeping was great. New towels, trash removed, and bed made daily. The staff at the front desk was very friendly and knowledgeable.

The boys enjoyed the pool and gameroom. It kept my 10 yr old entertained in the evenings, or on a day we just relaxed on the property. The front desk has movies available to rent. We took advantage of that one evening. There are also books, board games, card games & puzzles available for use in the game room. Property had an indoor pool and hot tub, which were great!

We will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank JamieM73
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We had a 2-bedroom patio unit and loved every minute of it. The staff was friendly and welcoming, and even walked us to our room when we got lost. We enjoyed being able to come and go as we pleased without worrying about disturbing other guests at all hours.

Don't let the outside fool you. We pulled up and were like, "Um...okay. What now." But upon walking in we were amazed at the breathtaking, authentic decor.

They offer discounted tickets to nearby attractions, including the Tweetsie Railroad! They're very family and kid friendly, with events staggered through the week like s'mores night, movie night, and root beer float night. The kids enjoyed the pool and the adults enjoyed the hot tub.

On the one day it rained, we didn't even have to leave the property. We just stayed there playing video games, shooting pool, playing air hockey, and watching the giant-screen TV in the main lobby.

Sleep quality gets a 4/5 but in all honesty that's probably just me being picky. I missed my own bed - and I missed my dog sleeping on my feet every night. (They don't allow pets - at all.)

We will definitely return!

Room Tip: The two-bedroom is quiet, roomy, has a full kitchen, and everything you need for a fun family vacati...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Arriving into the area on a last minute whim during the week between Christmas and New Year's, we thought we would end up at a budget hotel in Johnson City but instead phoned Smoketree Lodge and got very lucky with a room for a couple of nights that accommodated our two teenagers and us. I love places that seem to think of everything you may need. From free washer and dryer service to remembering a cork screw in the kitchenette, wifi, a giant screened TV next to a roaring fireplace in the lobby, tables for large families to gather--this place really was well suited for enjoying a few days in the mountains without costing a fortune. Yes, it is a bit dated, but so is your grandmother's house and it probably doesn't have a bear motif in the bathroom which made us smile! Also, even though you didn't find my earring, Smoketree staff, thanks so much for calling me back and genuinely caring enough to look for it.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Quality Inn & Suites University
Four Seasons at Beech
Four Seasons at Beech
#2 of 2 in Beech Mountain

Been to Smoketree Lodge? Share your experiences!