“Smoketree Lodge a Winner!”
Review of Smoketree Lodge

Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“Smoketree Lodge a Winner!”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My wife and I wanted to take our 7 year old grandaughter to the mountains. She had never flown in a plane nor seen or played in snow. We chose to head towards the Sugar Mountain area and wanted to get some type of "lodge" experience also. Smoketree Lodge looked like it was a great spot. When reading reviews though, I was quite concerned and ready to make another choice.
We stuck with the reservation but arrived with some apprehension. I was greatly surprised and pleased. Now mind you, we weren't looking for a 5 star place. The rate was $110 per night. We rented a room for 3, which was a 2 room unit-king, pull out sofa in the other, with kitchenette. It was very clean, satisfactorily equipped with all utensils, towels, extra pillows, etc. no smoke smell. It was a great stay for 2 night weekend. We flew into Charlotte, rented a car and had a 3 hour drive, quite beautiful. Unfortunately we hit the warm front weekend, but there was enough snow at the mountain resorts to play and give her a lifetime memory. Back to Smoketree. It had a great lodge room with large game area for all ages, sauna, hot tub and heated pool, all of which we used most of Saturday due to a heavy rainfall. If you have kids of any ages and want a reasonable place, this is great. Its true the outside is a little weather beaten, the hallways were needing trim paint, etc. but the rooms were great, the lodge was super and it met our needs in every way. I am in the tourism business, so this review counters many bad ones and is an honest one. It is located with easy access to Sugar Mountain & Beech Mountain, and Hawksnest (tubing)and we will come back next year and bring more with us!

Room Tip: Third floor rooms towards opposite end of registration have fantastic views
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Cap F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Glennville, Georgia
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Wife and I visited in September during a Miata meet. Rooms are dated but very adequate. We consider the rates we paid a very good value. Property appeared to be very well-maintained. The unit we stayed in had no smoke smell.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The positives, the staff members were some of nicest ladies I have ever met. I made the reservations and somehow missed that smoking was allowed in all rooms. Prior to arriving, I called and found out my mistake. The staff put a filter in my room ahead of my arrival. My husband and I decided to try one night at least of the week. Smoking is not allowed in any common areas, but could smell a little at doorways and inside the halls. Our room was smoke free and odor free.
The place is old and needs updating and maybe even rebuilding. The room was very tiny, and not enough space to put a weeks full of clothing for two. Our room was very dark. It was on the west and down low against a mountain so no sun ever came into the room.
The A/C was noisy(room a/c) and really old. The frig/freezer was small and froze everything we put in it. NO WiFI in the room, old style TV. The lodge area had nice size TV and great WIFI. Originally built for guest interaction. The lodge common area was huge and had tables and areas to play board games, puzzles etc. Definitely, pre internet age.
The parking lot was full and the place was quiet but you could hear people walking above you and in hallways. One night a child was running up and down the halls rather late, but did not continue for long. We only slept here. We had a quick breakfast in the room and headed to the mountains for hiking everyday. The foliage and mountain trails and waterfalls are breathtaking. Sleeping in the room was comfy enough, but trying to move around two of us in the room was difficult. I would not choose to come back here especially since I am very sensitive to smoke, but the staff does an excellent job of trying to make you happy, Kudos to them. The place itself needs a big makeover.

Room Tip: I don't know how many choices there are, but the studio is too small for two people to manuever...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank empy2013

Travellers are raving about these Banner Elk hotels

Mooresville, NC
Reviewed 11 September 2013

There were mixed reviews on Tripadvisor but I thought a lodge would be a fun experience for my family. We pulled up and the first thing we saw was the air conditioning units with mold on the outside. I went in and the musty smell was rather unpleasant. I went to the desk and stated that we did not want to stay there despite having a reservation. The teenage girl behind the counter shrugged her shoulders and handed me the paperwork. I thought that it had to get better and in order to see the room I had to sign the paperwork, so I did. I went into the room and again it smelled musty but the pull out couch had stains and left over clumps of what we can only assume was bodily fluids on both sides of the cushoins, the bathroom had leftover soap in the shower along with the hair of the previous guests, the bed in the bedroom smelled of sulfur (rotten eggs). I took me kids to see where the pool was. It was down the hall, down 3 + flights of stairs and down another hall. To say it was inconvenient is an understatement. We decided that there was no way that our family could stay in such a filthy environment so I went to the front desk again and stated that we could not stay there due to the filthy room. The woman behind the desk looked at me and said "...have you used anything?" No. We had been there less than 30 minutes at that point. I handed her the keys and again stated that there was no way that my family could stay there. She also shrugged her shoulders and took the keys. There was no offer of assistance in any way at all. I would never stay in this place nor would I ever recommend this place to ANYONE.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else other than this place.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank jmoconnell8
Wadmalaw Island, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2013

When I first drove up to Smoketree, I thought "Oh no" because it looks rather run down. However, the room is clean with no smell of smoke (ask them to put the ozone machine in the room prior to your arrival). This is not a fancy place by any means. However, it was adequate because I was out hiking or doing other activities and only spent the evening hours in the room. I think that it would help if the place was powerwashed on the outside. The location is prime though being near Banner Elk and Boone with so many attractions in the area.

Room Tip: You will need to ask for a mountain view room which is on the front side of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Elizabeth W
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Our three-night stay at this inn was very nice. The room was fine, although the furnishings were a little dated and worn. The atmosphere was quite nice - with beautiful water elements behind the reception area and a wooded area just above the parking lot. The pool, hot tub, and sauna were ok too. This is a good place to stay for events at Grandfather Mountain.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dan J
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Condo very clean....Staff very very helpful....View of Grandfather Mountain spectacular.
Resort has indoor pool,hot tub and sauna and exercise room.

Location the best close to Linville Falls, Boone and Blowing Rock.

Room Tip: One and two bedroom units. All have a kitchen
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 9 in Banner Elk
The Shady Lawn Lodge
The Shady Lawn Lodge
#1 of 3 in Newland

Been to Smoketree Lodge? Share your experiences!