“Good 'cue in the mountains”

The Pedalin' Pig Bbq
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Banner Elk
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Good 'cue in the mountains”
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We stopped by during lunch to get some barbecue. The $6.95 lunch special is a great value with a sandwich, slaw, chips, and a drink. I hope they keep this special. The barbecue was great (I suggest the vinegar based sauce to go with it). My only downside was that the homemade chips could be a little fresher. They were good, but could be better. But, it's totally worth the drive. The Banner Elk address can be confusing to some as the restaurant is not near downtown. It is on Highway 105.

Virginia
“Local's bragged, so we gave it a try.”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Our local vendors were bragging how good this place was since the new change. We went to it when it was Pappy's. It was terrible then, could tell everything was frozen. This time we went for lunch (yeah, it was a big lunch). I had the 1/2 lb. chicken dinner (with green beans/bacon & mac & cheese) & my boyfriend had the 1/2 lb. brisket dinner (with beans & fried sweet potatoes). The sweet potatoes were really good (my sample tasted fresh) & he really enjoyed the brisket. I enjoyed the roasted chicken, crisp skin & tender inside. The beans were good too, kinda had a slight kick. The mac & cheese was just okay. I'm kinda spoiled with Alton Brown's recipe.
Our waiter was "Blake" and he was extremely pleasant & helpful. He gave great service too. Would recommend checking their sight online to check out the menu.

1 Thank cabinkat
Charlotte, North Carolina
“The BBQ that Dreams Are Made Of”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Where oh where to begin....

Well, the BBQ is OUT OF THIS WORLD. The restaurant has a new owner and we have eaten at all past iterations of this place as the ownership has changed over the years.

This guy knows his stuff.

We had the Pulled Beef Tacos and the BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich. My six year old - who does not do pulled pork - stopped eating her chicken fingers and fries after we were here and now asks for Pulled Pork. She has had it before but not like this. If that's not a testimonial I don't know what is.

Oh and they have gluten free options too. GLUTEN FREE TOO? OMG. It was so darned good. I stopped to introduce myself to the owner and told him how wonderful that was for our family. He shared that he has friends with Celiac Disease. I felt he truly understood that you can make additional items available and accomodate everyone.

There is no question we will be back every time we visit the mountains. Visit this place - you won't be sorry.

Visited July 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
“Good BBQ - ok service”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The menu is simple and not big but the food is excellent. I had the 1/2 pound chicken dinner and my husband had the brisket which were both perfectly cooked.
Where it fell short was in the staff. The hostess was short and rather grumpy and not very welcoming and our waitress did not mention any of the specials until we asked. First impressions was not good but thank God the food made up for it.

Kernersville, North Carolina
“"Delicious BBQ...glad we found this place!!"”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband & I stopped in to the Pedalin' Pig for lunch and were seated right away to a nice booth. This was our first visit and our server, Melissa, who was very friendly came by to get our sweet tea order. We also ordered the Worker's lunch pork special (2 @ $6.95) that consisted of the pulled-pork sandwich (it was so tender and lean, without any fat), homemade potato chips, slaw and our drink. There were several choices of BBQ sauces on our table and they were very tasty also. We decided to get some banana pudding (2 @ $4.95) to go and we enjoyed it later that evening in our cabin.
The restaurant was clean and no loud music playing during lunch.
There is dining also outside on the screened-in porch that overlooks the water wheel and the fish pond.
All in all, the food was delicious, the service was friendly and prompt and time spent here for lunch was well worth our visit. We were so glad we found this place while we were visiting the area for several days!