“Exceeded our expectation!”

Banner Elk Winery & Villa
Ranked #4 of 8 Banner Elk B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 May 2013

For Christmas, our daughter had given us a one night stay at the the Banner Elk Winery and Villa. We were finally able to use it the second weekend of May. We truly had no idea what to expect. We were completely impressed by everything! The accommodations were lovely. The hospitality was warm and generous. And our breakfast was delicious. It turned out to be a little too rainy for the winery tour, but the wine tasting was great!
We will definitely make a return trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 April 2013

We arrived at Banner Elk Winery & Villa in the cab of a wrecker, whose flatbed held our car and whose hitch towed our motorcycle trailer. Not the way we intended to arrive; but an accident only 15 miles from this destination made that necessary. From the moment of our arrival and throughout our three day stay, we experienced an excellent, caring staff who went out of their way to be hospitable. In order of our meeting them, Ashley, Cody, Jackie, Alexis, Brandy and Bic couldn't have been kinder or more professional in their respective roles. A special thank you to Jackie who drove me into town to pick up a vehicle. Her breakfasts are incredible and worthy of a trip for that alone. And for wine lovers, this association of vineyards is producing wines that are winning awards throughout the country. The three couples who own this property must be thankful for their excellent staff and we truly do look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2013

This is not a business I would EVER recommend anyone dealing with. We were informed our groupon would be extended because everything was booked during the time we were going to use it. Well, when we went to redeem it I was thrown through hoop after hoop. It took four days before I ever received a final answer. Then to top it off, over those 4 days of calling, trying to contact the people there, I had been calling one single persons cell phone. My calls had been screened. I had a feeling this was the case when I called four times in a row then called on my moms cell and got an answer right away. The girl gave it away that she was on her cell phone when she said she pulling into her driveway. The owner is now saying she had no knowledge of the groupon being extended and she was not going to honor it. They offered me a room but for $250-$300 dollars more on top of the $159 that the groupon cost.....we had everything set for $159 so why am I being told I have to pay $250-$300 more beats me! The costumer service with this establishment does not exist in anyway, shape, or form. I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone. Costumers do not come first with this establishment and from reading other reviews it doesn't seem like it ever has!

Room Tip: Don't book here! Best room you will get will be not coming here!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank AshleyB936
Reviewed 1 April 2013

We had a "girls get away weekend" at Banner Elk. The accommodations were great. But the BEST were the breakfasts prepared by Jackie!!!! Delicious doesn't even describe how good they were. The wine tasting and tour given by Cody was very informative. We really enjoyed the total trip!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 March 2013

We stayed at Banner Elk just one night on the way home from a weekend at a friend's house. Arriving on a yucky, overcast day in March the views of the property were not as pretty but it was easy to imagine them on a sunny summer day. We were shown our room and given information on our stay by friendly staff. They even had a nice binder full of detailed information on the activities and restaurants in Banner Elk. Wish we had been able to stay longer so we could have partaken in the outdoor activities it had suggested. We had asked for a wine tasting when we arrived but there had been some miscommunication since it was a Monday and the winery isn't open its usual hours. They were able to still make it happen for us and the person doing the wine tasting even gave us a bottle of wine on the house because of the mix-up. Plus, all of the wines were very good. Overall the stay was very relaxing. The breakfast was dynamite and the bed sheets smelled really good! The only reason I'm not rating it as excellent is because I still think it is too pricey.

Room Tip: Bordeaux room was a nice size with a large window with a great view. The bathroom with the jacuzzi t...
Reviewed 10 March 2013

My boyfriend and I were really shocked at the poor experience we had at the Banner Elk Winery and Villa. We arrived mid-afternoon in March to find that the roads leading up to and around the villa property were covered in ice and snow. We attempted to drive up the main road to the villa entrance (the road is a fairly steep hill), but about 75% of the way up, my SUV stalled and then slid backwards down the hill--an extremely frightening experience. Is it not the duty of any establishment such as a high-end inn to salt the roads so that customers can safely arrive at their property?

We ended up parking below the villa at the winery and trudging up the hill in the snow with all of our belongings, only to find that no one was there to greet us; there was only an envelope with our names on it telling us which room was ours. When I called the number on the paper, it took several tries to even get anyone, and when I did, they seemed completely unconcerned about the state of the roads and did not even ask if we or the car were alright. They promised that someone was in the process of salting the roads, but based on my observations over 2.5 days, no one ever did. The entirety of our stay we were very tense getting onto and off of the property, particularly after dark. I should also add that we drove around Banner Elk and the surrounding areas a good bit, and no other shopping center, restaurant or inn had left their roads in such a condition.

Other than this bad start, my main complaint is about the complete lack of any assistance in the villa. During our time there we never once encountered someone who was involved in guest services. There were chefs who came one night to cook for a couple, one of whom also came back for breakfasts, and there was someone who appeared to be an event planner who came once, but at no time were we greeted by any of these people or asked how our stay was going. The letter we received upon arrival gave us phone numbers but also the impression that we should only call them if the house were burning down. I'm honestly not even sure that they even employ someone to deal with guests, other than those coming for special events with whom they need to coordinate weddings, massage appointments, private meals, etc.

Breakfast was fine but because the main course usually ended up being extremely high-calorie and/or rich (ex. buttery sausage bread), I just ended up having eggs and bacon and yogurt. Decor is fine; the bamboo/equatorial flora theme seemed kind of incongruous with the surroundings, but not a big deal.

The room they gave us was the handicapped-accessible room by the back entrance, so we were unable to let any natural light into the room as the only source were the glass doors leading out to the back patio (by which everyone entering the villa passed); we also had to listen to the back door open and slam dozens of times per day as it was directly next to our room's door. You're not allowed to use anything in the kitchen or store your food in the fridge.

The bottom line is, if I wanted to stay in an abandoned hotel with a kitchen I wasn't allowed to use and a bunch of strangers hogging the common space, I could have done it a heck of a lot more cheaply and comfortably.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Zinfandel room on the bottom back level...your only natural light comes from a...
7  Thank AmanDaAman
Reviewed 6 March 2013

The Banner Elk Winery and Villa is a must experience for any couple in Love. From the majestic views that surround the estate to the smallest detail that is observed, the simplest moments become lifetime memories that will forever draw you back. The property is second to none and the service is beyond flawless. The winery quietly boasts a refined rustic atmosphere and is the perfect place to enjoy a glass of blueberry wine. Their rooms are immaculate yet relaxed and give you a sense of home. It is nestled in the eclectic town of Banner Elk that turns a short drive into breathtaking adventure. Excitement is commingled with a peaceful calmness as you explore all an outdoor adventure. And every magical moment can be summed up and served to you in the greatest conceivable breakfast ever created. It will quickly become your new favorite place.

Room Tip: Hard to imagine a grander room than the Cabernet Suite but I am certainly going to see every other r...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Banner Elk
#3 of 16 in Blowing Rock
The Inn at Elk River
The Inn at Elk River
#1 of 8 in Banner Elk

Been to Banner Elk Winery & Villa? Share your experiences!