“Vegetables=Sides”

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 17 January 2012

The food was excellent, service was quick, and they probably have one of the best portion sizes I have ever seen for the price.

There are newer reviews for Banner Elk Cafe & Lodge

Reviewed 8 January 2012

I went here under some protest. I had read the not so great reviews, couldn't find a menu online, and it is about 45 minutes from the house, so I was a little tired and wanted to just stay home. We went basically to support some friends that were playing and singing there. BUT!!! As it turns out I was happy we went and very satisfied with the food. Since my last visit (several years ago) they have added on and connected the formerly separate coffee shop and the restaurant part. We sat in the closed in "patio" adjacent to the coffee shop and listed to the music. We had a great waitress...very helpful and friendly without being overly solicitous. It was a very relaxed family atmosphere. Now the food. I ordered a patty melt with a side of sauteed veggies. The patty melt was on really good grilled rye, (they even cooked it medium for me) and the vegetables freshly sauteed to the right doneness and dressed with a compound butter of some sort. My husband had a veggie pita, which was filled with sauteed veggies and dressed with a home made sauce, lettuce tomato, etc. Side of sweet potato fries that were done perfectly. My son had kids chicken tenders (that were too heavily breaded and thus a little dry by the time they were done all the way) and some mashed potatoes that he said were maybe the best he had ever had. (They were not instant.) The after dinner coffee was really hot and fresh, and the prices were in line with most other places around here. Overall, we were just happy to have had a nice dinner with good, restaurant made food, not out of a food service truck. Nice music along with it by "Vintage."

Reviewed 7 January 2012

Ate here coming and going to Boone. Great lunch special with veggies...also burgers. $5 to $8.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

Last year my husband and I ate at this restaurant 2 - 3 times during our stay, we liked it so much. However, the quality was so unimpressive this year. We arrived on Christmas Eve for lunch and the service was very poor. Although the waiter was friendly, the food took a VERY long time to get. I finally received my food, while my husband waited another 10 mins or so for his sandwich. The food was very mediocre - the ribs were tough and my husband's meatball sandwich was bland and not hot. The fries were the only good part. The waiter had no clue what "gluten" is and even when he asked the kitchen, they were clueless. There were just a few salads (sans dressing) and the ribs that I figured I could eat without incident. Such a let down...The atmosphere is so cute. I hope this was just a fluke because of the holidays.

Reviewed 31 December 2011

Stopped for hot chocolate after skiing, it's a "cafe" after all. Waitress seemed disappointed we were only having a beverage, and hot chocolate was right from a packet, and not even mixed well.