“go as a last resort”

Ranked #19 of 50 Restaurants in Banner Elk
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: You can sleep-in and still get breakfast until 2:00pm on the weekdays and 3:00pm on the weekends. Homemade lunch specials made daily ranging from corned beef reubens to spinach salads. Amazing views of Grandfather Mountain.
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I was on my way to a photo shoot a Appalachian Ski Mountain and detoured to Banner Elk to get some lunch. I had passed this place several times and decided to stop, I should have kept going. Our waitress was having a bad day and kept complaining to another waitress, when my wife asked for some mayo, it was just brought to the table on its side, my wife said thank you with no reply. My open-faced hot "beef" sandwich was made of frozen "steak-um" meat and the gravy was way to salty. My wife got the patty melt which she said was good, the fries not so much.
I would avoid at all costs.

2  Thank senterk

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Ok it looks very plain on the outside, but inside you know that this is where the locals go. Being from out of state, i wore my ASU sweatshirt to blend in a little better than the tourists we are.

You can get breakfast all day, with egg beaters if you want to keep the doctor from yelling out you. Maybe next year I'll try it.

We got a mesquite grilled chicken sandwich( $4.25 and I give it a B), with a small cup of vegetable soup (2 bucks A+). The tea I give a grade A. $15 for lunch total.

The inside looks very plain. However, you sit by the window and get a killer view of Grandfather Mountain! The two servers are busy clearing tables, rolling flatware and other things, so don't take it wrong if things take a little longer.

Gina was very friendly. We noticed the people next to us ordered a great-looking club sandwich and some really tasty looking fries. Too bad we're on our healthy kick the first of this year.

Visit and just realize that it looks different than Denny's or Bob Evans, but we never eat there anyway. Be friendly to your server and act like you live there and they'll be friendly right back at you!

Reviewed 19 December 2013

I come here often and enjoy the food and value. Unfortunately I hesitate now after experiencing a Seinfeld moment, as I walked toward the ladies room, one of the waitresses was walking out. I noticed there was a recently flushed toilet, but zero evidence of hand washing. Sink was bone dry and no paper towel in the trash. Shame. I may come back and avoid the area where I know this lady waits tables.

3  Thank emily27055
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is a place that does not look too impressive from the outside and is not that big on the inside but the food is good and inexpensive. My wife and I went for breakfast; the pancakes were really good and the hash browns were outstanding. We had 2 good breakfast with coffee and we added some side items and we pay $17 plus tips.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We went to Grandview this past weekend and had the worst experience. We waited about a half hour for a table which was acceptable for a weekend. We observed the hostess behaving unpleasantly and making comments to (hopefully) people she knew that she hated Sundays. When we were finally seated, our waitress barely greeted us before getting our drink order. We placed our food order and waited, and waited, and waited. We waited for an hour for eggs - really! Our waitress never checked on us or even walked in our section so that we could ask for anything. A different waitress refilled our coffee a couple times. We asked her to check on our order but no one did. We were never offered toast, biscuits, anything that would help the wait. Our waitress came over after 45 minutes and said our order was next. We watched as she delivered another table's order about 10 minutes later and then nothing. After about 5 more minutes we left without eating a bite. All the tables around us were waiting as well so it wasn't just our waitress. Don't waste your time. Go to Banner Elk Cafe instead - the food was yummy and the service was fast and pleasant - even on a weekend.

3  Thank iriegirl01
LEELA2010, Owner at Grandview Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

First off, I would like to thank you for your review and I would like to clarify a view things. When you visit a restaurant in the High Country during peak October days when the leaves are changing you should expect a waiting line. It is unfortunate but due to the increase in volume a standing line is typical at most restaurants. Since the death of my husband in September, owner and head-chef, we have tried and will continue to try to keep up the tradition of Grandview that he and I have worked very hard to achieve in the past 36 years. My crew is doing a great job and the best they can considering how difficult this transition has been. We take this review personal and I am sorry you had a bad experience. All I can say is try us again and we will make your visit a better one.

Owner-Debra Cairns