“Really bad all around”

Cuisines: Japanese, Vietnamese
banner elk
“Really bad all around”
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

I agree with the last review. Due to my love of this type of food, I would try this establishment over & over. 1 out of 3 times we found our selfs feeling sick after eatting there. Finally we decided to go only during the busy season to insure fresh food. The last time we got sick we promised never to go back & have not returned. These people know they are serving you rotten food & continue to do so. Just plan wrong & gross that it has not been shut down & they are able to continue to do so.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank chapmanBannerElk

Phxaz
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I use to work there and let me tell you that the chicken that we cook some times its past due date and smell bad.but we still cook them like that and when its done we put it in tariyaki Sauce thats why when we served it doesnt smell bad.we clean and make everything fresh when health departament its going to check us.if you want to get sick one day.its your choise.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Cristyalvarez
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hibachi Steak, Sushi Bar and Vietnamese. Its all good.”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Interesting menu with tons of choices.

Our favorite, the Hibachi Steak is a decent size portion with lots of veggies, tender steak and brown rice.
The many sauces, peanut, shrimp, mayo, or sweet n spicy accompany most of their flavorful balanced dishes.
The atmosphere inside is a bit dated which is somewhat deceiving. We almost decided not to try it when we first visited, but have since become regulars.
Tokyo Express offers a decent healthy meal at a very fair price.

• Visited October 2013
Banner Elk NC
“There are better places to eat in Boone”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I ate lunch for the first time yesterday. I guess if you have a craving for Japanese or Vietnamese and you don't want to drive 17 miles to Boone, then this is the place to eat. Makotos is the premier Japanese restaurant in the area. I will say the spring roll was very good; otherwise, the rest of the food is just ok. But what turned me off was the interior condition of the restaurant. Sticky walls, dirty windows, carpet that needs to be ripped up, just nasty. I really can't believe the 95 inspection rating. I guess the kitchen is immaculate..lol... The service wasn't so bad...I had to wait 10 minutes before being seated.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank admepa
“This is the place to go for Japanese.”
Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

This is the only place to go for Japanese cuisine if you're in Banner Elk because the other restaurants don't serve Japanese food. The food is ok. Service is almost nonexistent. But If you are really craving those typical Japanese meals where they give you a fantastic cup of chicken broth with a slice of a mushroom, and a wonderful salad that consist of a few leafs of iceberg lettuce with a sliver of a carrot and some chewy meat and some rice. Let's face it we all just want to smother something with shrimp sauce. This is the place to go.

• Visited September 2012