“great food”

Old Salt
Ranked #12 of 38 Restaurants in Beaufort
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Located directly across from the Historical Society. Previous owners called it the Net House.
Wilson, North Carolina, United States
“great food”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Great food and location. We enjoyed our meal at an outside table and enjoyed the atmosphere and the food was great!

• Visited May 2014

Durham, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth it's SALT!!!”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

To be 'worth one's salt' is to be worth one's pay and this restaurant is definitely worth the visit. We had been driving up and down the street unable to decide on a restaurant. I took a break and was looking at Beaufort Historical Buildings when across the street I spotted, "The Old Salt" restaurant. Barb Ward, the owner was super sweet and invited us in to look at the daily special menu. I am a picky eater and love anything that is local and natural. Barbara goes out of her way to source as many things locally as she can and man can you taste the goodness. From "sea to table" to my stomach! The seafood chowder was delish not too salty or creamy. I had standard fish and chips sandwich also wonderful with choice of house made ketchup (sooo nice to not have corn syrup!) or remoulade (not too spicy.) Mother had daily special of loaded potatoes with crab meat (she consumed 100%) Ended with butter cake (its huge so share a piece), I wont even try to explain how good it was, just get it. The Old Salt Restaurant is a little off the beaten path but for anyone who is a foodie, its worth the effort to find it. We enjoyed the outside seating with the view of Historical Beaufort Buildings. Will recommend to anyone. Glad we went and you will be too.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank M H
Cary, North Carolina
“Good Food”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Service was a bit slow the night we were there but the food was good. A lot of local and homemade items, right down to the ketchup. While the fries particularly (and the food in general) was over salted, I enjoyed the shirmp po boy that I ordered and would eat there again.

Visited April 2014
Richmond, Virginia
“Soooooo good , we went back the next day!”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

While shopping with the girls in Beaufort, we asked locals for their recommendation for the best place to eat. Overwhelmingly, the response was Old Salt. Everyone mentioned their brine fries.....They were right-delicious!
I have to say that part of the charm was our waiter, Butch. He was gracious and entertaining and made us feel very welcome and relaxed. We loved the place so much that we brought back all the boys with us the next day and they loved it just as much. Delicious appetizers - potato skins with crab meat-these were gone in about 3 minutes! Hot crab dip -definitely has a bit of a kick to it- very CHEESY :) the kids devoured it 2x
Having grown up close to the Chesapeake Bay, we are picky about our crabcakes.....we all agreed these were the best! The crabcake sandwich had a slight orange zest on the bun which added a new flavor. The crabcake was CRAB and had no fillers :)
The fried shrimp were perfection-not overcooked and lightly breaded. The kids loved the shrimp tacos, which had three large shrimp and homemade salsa in them.
The blackened Mahi was also a good choice and was perfect.
Everything is HOMEMADE.....the dressings, the sauces, even the Ketchup!
Dessert....Beaufort Butter cake with Butch's special "works".....a party in your mouth!

Visited April 2014
Havelock, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the money!”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

This was one of the few local restaurants in the Beaufort/Morehead City area that my husband and I have not visited, so we decided to try something new.

We shouldn't have.

The waitress was indifferent, at best, and paid little attention to us. Our drinks were refilled by one of the other waiters; had he not done so, we would have received no refills.
My husband decided to try one of their mixed drinks (the thin-mint). When it arrived, the martini glass was barely half full, even after "topping" it off with what remained in the shaker, and tasted like a watery blend of crème de menthe and half & half. He didn't finish it. Additional word of warning; the drinks menu has no prices on it. In this area, in a higher caliber restaurant known for it's cocktail and/or wine listings (Aqua, Front Street Grill at Stillwater, Circa 81, etc.), a drink such as my husband had would range from $8 - $10, on average, and the restaurant would have prices on the menu. It was $12, something that we discovered we looked at our bill for accuracy.
My husband ordered the shrimp and fish combo plate, and I ordered two appetizers for my entrée. My food was unremarkable - relatively standard appetizer fare, nothing exceptional.
My husband's food was a 50/50 failure rate; the shrimp (all four of them) were excellent, some of the best we have had, as were the five slices of squash. The other 3/4's of his meal was inedible. The bulk of his entrée was comprised of fish and potatoes. His generous serving of mashed red potatoes were cold, and the six pieces of fish were a terrible combination of mealy and flavorless.

Upon being asked for the check, our waitress scanned the table, saw that most of my husbands meal and the entirety of his drink (minus two sips) remained, and, instead of asking the usual wait staff questions as to the quality of the meal, if we wanted dessert, etc., simply turned and wandered off. I had to specifically request a box for the remainder of my meal.

We would have attempted to address our multiple issues prior to paying the bill and leaving, but could find no one with which to do so. We will not be returning to this establishment. There are a multitude of other excellent restaurants in the Beaufort/Morehead City/Atlantic Beach area.

• Visited April 2014