“Kind of Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 8 Beaufort B&B and Inns
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Kind of Disappointed”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I reserved the Cape Lookout Room at the Pecan Tree Inn for a 10th anniversary for the upcomming weekend. When I reserved, the owner was real quick to tell me that since the reservation was less than a week out and if he could not sell the room, I would not be able to cancel. He charged my card immediately for a one night stay...not a hold...a solid charge. Well, the worst happened.....I became very sick, but because of the $350.00 for two nights and the anniversary weekend, we wnet to Beaufort. By Saturday morning, I was so sick that I didn't care about the cost any longer and wanted to leave, but my husband said since we would not get a refund of any kind, we would stay. I was not impressed at all with this B&B. Sherry was cordial at best, seemed to have too much to do and pretty much disappeared after showing us the room. The room was on the first floor to the left of the front entrance. Intoxicated gusets were staggering in at very late hours...making coffee...playing music loud, etc. now just imagine..I am sick through all this. The guest on the second fllor above us were trampling around and clopping her heels....so much for peaceful....and to top it off...there is a Bistro/Bar directly across from the street and the yelling, hooting and hollering was so loud that I just wanted to go out on the porch and tell them all to shut up! I was very disappointed with the breakfast, being under the assumption it would be some kind of warm meal..not boxes of cereal, bowls of fruits and bananas. I did not see any bread of any kind at all. For $155.00 a night, you would think a warm egg at least would be on the menu....The owners are on vacation so I cannot talk to them, or I would. We did purchase mugs at the tune of $30.00 for two, saing a whole big $6.00 if we had purchased them seperately! What a bargain. I would think the mugs would be offered as a momento. So darn near $400.00 later, I would love to go back to the B&B and give it another try, under different circumstances and a different room, but not on my dime!

Room Tip: Rooms on the far side are much quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank awakening12
David D, Owner at Pecan Tree Inn, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
It is disheartening to hear that one of our guests had such a bad time of it. I have sent her a voucher equal in value to the deposit she paid. We would have gladly cancelled the reservation and refunded the deposit had she told us before leaving home that she was sick, but she didn’t.
We would discourage someone who’s ill from coming to stay with us. It’s not good for them, for our other guests or for us.
There seems to have been a miscommunication concerning cancellations. Our policy, not unlike that of most B&Bs, is to collect a deposit equal to the first night’s charges and make it refundable up to seven days before check-in. After that, a refund is contingent on our ability to re-book the room. But, as I mentioned at the time this reservation was made, this policy can be waived in the case of an emergency. Often, we will give a “rain check.”
Obviously, when you’re not feeling well, nothing around you seems right. Street noise is not typical of our neighborhood, but when you are in an urban setting with restaurants across the street, there is that risk on a Saturday night. I am sorry it happened and that I was not on hand to try to do something about it.
The guest’s disappointment with breakfast also seems to have involved another misunderstanding. According, to our manager, Sherry, the guest arrived at the dining room after breakfast was over and the food had been taken away. Again, had she asked, we would have been happy to bring back the homemade scones, coffee cakes or muffins and the eggs.
As for our signature mugs, they are an optional purchase. The $18 price is expensive, but it is based on a minimal markup over our wholesale cost. Most retailers take at least a 100% markup. At $30 a pair, we make $4.
I would encourage anyone looking for information about the Pecan Tree Inn to read thoughtfully the reviews displayed below. We had nearly 100 at last count, and the overwhelming majority were genuinely affirming. We take them all very seriously.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Stayed there 2 nights last week, host was quite helpful. Continental breakfast was fine and room was comfortable. Central location is good for walking to restaurants. Overall experience was excellant, will definately go back.

Bz

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Zionsville, Indiana
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We just returned from our stay at the Pecan Tree Inn. Reading through other reviews and various websites about Beaufort B and Bs, we thought we had made the best choice in accomodations. The inn itself is perfectly charming and extremely comfortable...The bed in the Blue Room was exquisite! I am an early riser,and thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the front porch with my coffee, enjoying my prayer time and being delightfully entertained by the birds and squirrels chirping and chattering...simple pleasures! The location couldn't have been better....close to shopping, restaurants and bars, but tucked away on a blissfully quiet street.
I am an avid gardener, and was looking forward to lingering in the English garden that was mentioned in one of the websites. Unfortunately, the garden was chained off with a "closed" sign hanging at the garden entry. From what I could see, it just needed some tending and TLC. Very disappointing.

Reviews that I had read beforehand mentioned how gracious, friendly, and accomodating the owners were. We were there for 3 nights and neither saw nor heard from them. Strange, I thought the whole idea of a B and B was special attention from the hosts to their guests...some kind of interaction. Sherry, the manager, was on site to meet us when we arrived in the afternoon. She quickly guided us upstairs to show us the rooms and quickly asked if we had any questions before she hustled away.

I must interject here that the purpose of our visit was bringing our daughter to visit with her husband, who is in the military for training at a nearby base. When I made our reservations, he was to have 3 days' leave with us. The military changed their mind, and only granted 12 hours on Saturday. That being said, I called ahead and left a voicemail for the owner that we would only need one room, since the descriptions provided online indicated that each of the 2 rooms could sleep 3 people. When Sherry showed us the rooms, they were much smaller than indicated on the website. She clearly did not want to be bothered by our request, stating that we would have to move 2 chairs out of the room to set up the Aerobed. By then, I was so exasperated with the situation, I just let it go, as she was making an unhappy face and backing out of the room. A very expensive mistake on my part.

Breakfast was another story....It was ok, as far as continental breakfasts go, but for the exorbitant prices of the rooms, I definitely expected more. Plus, we were only there during breakfast hours for 1 day, since we had to be at the base early Saturday morning and an early departure on our checkout day.

All in all, a major disappointment.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank valerei8277
David D, Owner at Pecan Tree Inn, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
I am distressed by this review, as I am by any report that a guest of ours has not enjoyed her stay. I am also mystified to see this particular stay portrayed in a way that does not match the facts as I know them, and certainly is missing some context.
This guest booked two rooms for two couples for three nights over the July 4 weekend. On July 3, she called to cancel one room because one member of the party could not come. We have a 7-day cutoff for cancellations. We declined to put the three remaining guests in one room mainly for this reason, but also for their own comfort.
Hurricane Arthur made landfall in our neighborhood on the night of July 3. The main effect was that we lost our electricity for about 12 hours. Fortunately, we were able to conduct business normally beginning on the Fourth. But there was a lot of cleaning up to do, and the owners of the Pecan Tree were frankly a bit preoccupied with that over the weekend. We were around, but not serving tea in the parlor, so to speak. Our extremely capable and popular manager, Sherry, was running the inn with her usual enthusiasm, offering our guests suggestions for things to do and see. But no, it was not a typical weekend.
As for the size of our rooms, they are exactly as they appear on the website. No trick photography. They are the bedrooms of a 19th century house. Some are bigger than others.
Are our rates “exorbitant?” I didn’t think so, but I surveyed the competition just to be sure. The average published weekend rate in Beaufort this summer is $152.50 per night, with or without breakfast. The nightly rate paid by this guest for each of her two rooms was $142.50, including a military discount on one of them. Breakfast was included.
At the risk of seeming immodest, I’ll have to say our continental breakfast is a little better than “OK.” We bake breads and pastries from scratch every day and spend a lot of time and effort hunting down the freshest available seasonal fruits. Our coffee is delivered to our door weekly by the roaster, and we grind it fresh daily. We take breakfast seriously; this is not a motel.
We work hard to make our guests happy, and I think the vast majority of online reviews of the Pecan Tree Inn bear this out.
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 22 June 2014

What a great location....just enough off the main drag to feel residential---perfect spot. Very clean and neat, great parking, and lovely grounds. Two restaurants right across the street. I'd return, and would encourage friends to do so as well.

Jo Anne S.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank blountstreetadvisors
St. George Island, Florida
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My husband and I were lucky enough to get a room at the B&B Pecan Tree Inn in Beaufort, North Carolina. It is centrally located in this wonderful seaside town - across the street from two very fine restaurants, and walking distance to everything else you could possible want. The owners - Sherry and Dave could not have done anything more to make our stay perfect. Sherry and Dave bake fresh and provide a substantial breakfast fare. We will definitely stay with them again when we are back in Beaufort.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathy F
fayetteville, nc
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We recently spent two nights at the Pecan Tree Inn B&B on Queen Street and have definitely decided we will never return there again.

The inn does have some features that are positive. For one, it has adequate off road parking. It allows you to get your car off a very busy one way street.

It was clean.

And, I believe it is the closest inn to the main street where most of the action takes place. It is no more than a two minute slow walk to the intersection where you can go right and visit all the stores, or, you can go left and book a ferry ride or some kind of water and boat ride. Or, you can go straight and get breakfast.

That is about it for the positive.

Our room turned out significantly smaller than the impression given by the picture on the internet. That didn’t bother us as we have encountered that before. However, if you are “mature….up in age….or old like me”, you might consider not getting the Blue Room. The top of the bed sits a solid 35 ½ inches up from the floor and we found no step stool to help get in. We did find a wicker type stool but if I stood on that thing it would have folded in a second. The bed was comfortable, once we managed to get into it.

The negative. And, the very disappointing.

Our first morning we go down and there is nothing hot or faintly warm for breakfast.

There is fruit, cereal, bread, banana cake and some kind of egg kuchen (cake) plate. I touched it and it was cold, not room temperature as the owner tried to convince me, but cold. I know cold when I touch cold. I made it clear that this was not satisfactory and asked if there was a Waffle House anywhere nearby where we could get a hot breakfast. She indicated there was a restaurant that served breakfast right at the intersection. That is where we had breakfast.

The next day we came down and one would think they would find something hot to eat considering the day before. You know, please the customers. Nope. The same cold….actually colder this time when I stuck my finger in it… egg kuchen. There were some kind of buns under a towel but I didn’t test them and we just left.

We went once again to the breakfast place we ate at the day before. As we settled in the waitress asked if there was anything else she could do for us. I told her to make up a nice plate of hot food and take it to the B&B we were staying (I did not say the name) so they could see what a proper breakfast looks like. She started laughing and actually said, “Oh, I bet you are staying at the Pecan Inn aren’t you? We hear that all the time about them.”

It is obvious the management of this establishment only cares if the check clears and nothing about the satisfaction of their guests. We have stayed at other B&Bs in Beaufort and had great breakfasts. And considering we were the ONLY guests there how hard would it have been to make a decent breakfast? Over $350 and a cold egg dish? Really?

Room Tip: Ask bed heigth.....ask if you go somewhere else for breakfast can the room be less costly.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank richinnc
dubuisson, Owner at Pecan Tree Inn, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
I am truly sorry that the writer did not enjoy his stay with us. Contrary to his assumption, we do care very much about giving our guests good value and making their stay in Beaufort one to remember warmly. We take criticism seriously and, over the 12 years of our ownership, have made a number of improvements as a result of comments by guests. The Pecan Tree has operated successfully for more than 20 years, and we continue to look for ways to get better.
Apart from the height of his bed (a four-poster with a thick mattress) and perceived inadequacy of the footstool, the the heart of the writer’s complaint is that we served him the continental breakfast as advertised. This is the same kind of breakfast that, for over 20 years, Pecan Tree guests have been enjoying and returning for. It is not country ham and grits and gravy. Nothing wrong with that – we like a country breakfast now and then as much as the next person – but for various reasons, the Pecan Tree has always taken a different direction.
We take breakfast seriously. We seek out and serve the best fresh fruit. We bake from scratch every day, maintaining a repertoire that is continuously improving – occasionally with a recipe shared by a guest. The fresh apple kuchen which the writer declined to sample is one of those recipes. (If it was cooler than room temperature, that was our mistake.) Another house specialty is our scones, served warm from the oven. Guests frequently ask for the recipes, and we gladly oblige. Had the writer investigated “some kind of buns under a towel,” he would have found freshly baked scones.
In reflecting on this critique of our breakfast, I find myself feeling a little like a Ford dealer whose customer was disappointed that he wasn’t offered a Chevy.
Like any successful business, we are always trying to do a better job of what we do. We listen to our customers and we respond. We also take some comfort from knowing that of 90-plus TripAdvisor reviews, all but a very few are extremely positive.
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Very friendly staff; Dave & Sherry. Room was spacious, clean and had two person Jacuzzi. Comfortable bed. The breakfast is not gourmet, but it is good enough to start off the day. There is on site parking and it is within walking distance of all the fine restaurants in Beaufort (Bowfort).

Room Tip: This place was built in 1866. If your room is a little chilly use one of the extra blanket they prov...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BILLB47
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaufort
Bask @ Big Rock Landing
Bask @ Big Rock Landing
#1 of 5 in Morehead City
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlantic Beach Oceanfront
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlantic Be...
#2 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores
#2 of 9 in Atlantic Beach
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
The Inn at Pine Knoll Shores
#4 of 6 in Pine Knoll Shores

Been to Pecan Tree Inn? Share your experiences!