“Interesting Place to Visit and Eat”

Fred's Backside Deli
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Very interesting general store in the mountains. The restaurant part of the business is downstairs and has beautiful outside dining area. Service was very good. Prices reasonable. Food good. I will visit again next time I am in the area.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Although Fred's is actually an historic general merchandise store, the deli is a nice place to stop for lunch. You can eat inside or outside. If you eat outside, you can bring your dog with you. They have a nice selection of sandwiches. You place your order inside and they will bring the food to your table. We have enjoyed eating here several times. We were staying in Blowing Rock and drove 27 miles (40 minutes) to visit Fred's. It was worth it. After lunch we spent some time shopping in the three story store. As Fred says, "If we don't have it, you don't need it.". This is always a fun place to visit.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I think it's very hard not to stop by Fred's General Mercantile when one visits Beech Mountain! Number one, everyone talks about the place; Number two, the place has never closed since its open in 1979! The Backside Deli is downstairs and only opens for breakfast and lunch. We only went for breakfast and it was good (nothing extraordinary good.) Belgian Waffle was tasty but was way over priced! The server was very friendly and the service was great. However, what impressed me the most was the General Store Section on the first and the second floor. I have never seen more comprehensive general store than Fred's. if you need something... it'll be there! We bought coffee, coffee creamer, water, homemade brownies, snacks, vegetable and fruits, souvenir towel,... but that's not all...there are rental movies, books, Christmas ornaments, clothing, shoes, hardware and kitchen items. Ski rentals also at downstairs and the guy was very knowledgeable.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

The pulled pork from Fred's was better than we had at a nicer restaurant. The menu variety, service, and food was great.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

My wife and I went to the Generals Store which is attached to the deli and we were made to feel very uncomfortable. I can admit that it has been decades since I was followed around in a store and made to feel like a potential criminal who would shoplift. It was an eerie feeling. Finally, when my wife and I went to make our purchase, we were not greeted, even after I spoke to the cashier. The feeling was that we should spend fast and get out. If there was another option, I would have left to make my purchase at another store. If we make another trip to Beech Mountain, I surely will pack extra items so I will not have to solict any business from Freds General Store.