“Too Salty”

Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Miss Maude's Cafe is located in downtown Benson, NC at the intersection of I95 and I40. We are one block from the grove in the center of town. Family-owned, we proudly occupy the same building that the famous "Dixon's Restaurant" was located.
Four Oaks, North Carolina
“Too Salty”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I ordered the 3 piece seafood combination plate, the fried chicken and the chicken salad. I haven't tasted the chicken salad or the fried chicken although I hear the chicken salad is excellent. I love seafood so I thought I would eat the seafood for late lunch/dinner today and heat up the fried chicken tomorrow for lunch. I intend to use the chicken salad for sandwiches during the week.

The seafood combination plate was so large that it took 2 full size containers to hold it; can't complain about not getting enough. There were 3 generous pieces of flounder, dozens of small shrimp and at least a dozen oysters. The fish was excellent, but the flour coating on the shrimp and oysters was very salty. The coleslaw was outstanding and very fresh! I ate some of the shrimp and oysters and they would have been good had they not been so salty, but ate all the flounder as it was very tasty. I didn't care for the hush puppies as I am used to them being fried with onions, but if you like this kind of bread without the onions I would say they were good. I was so full with the fish and the few shrimp and oysters that I didn't even try the fries, but the fries looked good and were not greasy or soggy. I would rate the fish as a "5", but because the oysters and shrimp were so salty they would probably be rated a "2".

The service was excellent. I called my order in and they even brought my order and my change to my car. They were very friendly and prompt.

If the chicken salad is as good as they say, I will be back, but I won't order the combination again. I will order the fish dinner, as if I had just ordered the fish and sides I would have been very happy.

• Visited February 2014

“Not Impressed”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Majority of reviews were good, so we exited I95....won't again. Specials on board, fried chicken not ready at 12:30 lunch time, fried pork chops hard and dry, grilled pork chops very salty. Asked waitress if the corn was whole kernal...she didn't know but it's canned. Desserts $1.50 on board...but they don't have any. This place has probably been around a while and the locals will keep it afloat, but not worth the stop for a traveler.

• Visited September 2013
Burlington, NC
“GOOD SPOT NEAR THE I-95 AND I-40 INTERSECTION IN NC”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Simply a little old fashioned restaurant only a minute or two off both interstate highways. Had Sunday lunch there that was so much better than any of the fast food joints. A young college kid was our waiter and he was pleasant and engaging...even gave us a free sample of one of their signature dishes.

This little place was a cut above most meat and 3's and was in the downtown section of Benson. They are close enough to the coast to have fresh seafood but the real winners of our meal were without a doubt the fried chicken and the "chicken and pastry" aka chicken and dumplings. This dish was highlighted by a lightweight slightly thinner dumpling to which I am accustomed. The waiter said this is why they call it chicken and pastry versus dumpling.

The main courses were complimented by veggies prepared the "southern" way. The butter beans, cabbage and stewed squash were all very good.

I will look forward to visiting again if ever in the area at lunch or dinner.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank ncsccrdad
Wilmington, NC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Keep driving”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The server was friendly but we had to ask for straws for the drinks--she wasn't familiar with the desserts--had not tasted them. The cuisine is "down home". I had chicken salad that was very good and strawberry pie which was okay but very cold. Two others in the group ordered fried pork chops that had been deep-fried and were too tough and dry to eat. They also had coconut pie that they could not eat. It had a flavor other than coconut. We were told that the pies were literally made at someone home. Next time in the Benson area, I'll keep driving to another restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
Cora G, Owner at Miss Maude's Cafe, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
I am sorry that our waitress did not attend to your needs and that our food was not to your liking. We will take your comments and try to improve in both areas. Please come back and give us another try when you are in the area.
Clayton, North Carolina
“Go on Sunday!!!!”
Reviewed 11 June 2013 via mobile

The chicken and pastry is very good. Great southern food, with very good service in an old fashion diner. You can't go wrong by eating here.

• Visited June 2013
Cora G, Owner at Miss Maude's Cafe, responded to this review, 17 August 2013
So glad you visited....Please come back again.