“Pleasant experience, for the price...”
Review of Black Mountain Inn

Black Mountain Inn
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Pleasant experience, for the price...”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

I purchased a two day "deal" online and went in November. The woodsy setting was
very nice, even with the leaves off the trees and I am sure it is very nice in the spring
and fall.
Yes, there is a train that goes through during the night. I didn't mind--it was a bit nostalgic,
since I hadn't heard one in quite a while! Earplugs should do the trick, if that doesn't thrill
you!
I agree that the breakfast was not gourmet, as in some great B&Bs, but it was sufficient.
While I was there I enjoyed the Biltmore Christmas festivities and the gingerbread house
competiton at the Grove Park Inn (which is something to see, if you never have!)
The owner, June, was friendly and helpful,and since I did not plan to visit the wineries or
take advantage of the spa, I felt it was a good experience and would consider staying again
at the "deal" price.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 December 2011

A friend and I went on a living social deal they had. Which was 2 weekday nights, a spa gift and a wine tasting, and $50 dollars off a spa service. We arrived on a Sunday at a little after 3. The cellars/vineyards for the tastings closed at 5 and were about an hour away, so we couldn't make it and they were closed Monday. We weren't notified of this little snaffu, so we had to adjust our plans if we wanted to use the wine tasting on our way out of town.

We booked Peters room which was listed as having a soaking tub big enough for mom, dad, kids and the family pet too. So I was thinking it was a big beautiful soaking tub......wrong, it was an extra deep tub. The room also appeared much larger in the pictures because they apparently took the pictures while standing in the tub. Also it said it had a seperate "business" area- I thought shower, sink and toilet would be in there. Wrong again, the shower was apart of the soaking tub (and didn't have a big enough curtain to close in from drafts) and the sink was in the room too. What really did me in was the fact they don't offer shampoo, only soap. I didn't shower the night we arrived because of this, had to run to cvs to get some.

No TVs in the rooms, or dvds or games sitting around to enjoy (every b&b I've been too offered this cozy luxary). Only tv was in a small sitting room downstairs with 1 channel.
No real common areas in the house.
The majority of the first floor is private living spaces, with the exception of dining room and small sitting area.

The first breakfst we had was not really gourmet. A pan of baked french toast with 12 pieces, while there were 10 guest, some sauteed apples and granolas. 4 guest had to wait for the innkeeper to cook more.

The innkeeper was nice enough, but didn't seem overly welcoming. Showed us the dinning room and pointed out the sitting room and showed us the bedroom. Nothing more or less.

Most B&Bs I went to had an assortment of books, dvds, games and info. on surrounding places and restuarants. Not here.

I probably would not go back again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Justaboutjay

Travellers are raving about these Black Mountain hotels

Reviewed 9 November 2011

very nice place to stay while in the area. The inn keeper is a lovely lady and her breakfasts were delicious. Rooms were clean and comfortable. It was a quiet place which was great after a day of shopping or sight seeing.

Room Tip: bring a radio or books as there are no tv's or radio in the rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ann e
Reviewed 7 November 2011

This place has it's good and bad points. It's a historic building and was clean and comfortable. If train noise in the night will bother you I'd advise ear plugs. The train is close, does go by frequently during the night and is loud. The breakfast food was good but it's served at a certain time so you need to be willing to be up and ready to eat at 8:30 am with the others staying at the Inn. Very lovely old trees on the property althrough the exterior is definitely shabby chic. It's convenient to the town of Black Mountain. The biggest disappointment I had was that I purchased the Living Social deal and the deal wasn't as advertised so I wouldn't recommend you get that. The deal said a $50 credit was included for spa services. I was only offered a $10 credit which really was not enough for the spa service and I felt like I got "taken" on this. I would highly advise you to scrutinize and ask a lot of questions on any Living Social get away deal. If you are going somewhere to relax you really don't feel like arguing with someone to get what you signed up for.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SC543
Raleigh
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This B&B sits on the outskirts of Black Mountain, but you would never know it by the seclusion it provides. The inn keeper is very welcoming and provides plentiful, delicious breakfasts. This B&B is close to Lake Lure and close to Asheville; we made day trips to both, enjoying a full day at the Biltmore House. We hope to return soon.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2011

This is by far the worst bed and breakfast we have ever stayed! What you see on the website is so not what you see when you arrive. Says it is pet and kid friendly, however as long as your baby doesn't make a peep and you dog doesn't bark! So we were placed on very top level so we would not bother the innkeeper! The top level is suppose to be the best of the best and I would rate it a 3 on a scale of 10 being the best. No air condition, baby had to sleep with no clothes it was so hot! Bed was not comfortable! Trains, trains, trains!! Had to raise windows for any air at all however the trains were so loud and so often we could not sleep. The door was on a pulley and could not be locked when you left. We could go on and on however our advice is to find another place to stay! We ended up leaving bright and early, thankful we only booked one night.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Suntanin
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My husband and I purchased a week day living social escape to Black Mountain Inn for our honeymoon. The inn keeper, though very nice, over booked the inn, and had our reservation on the wrong dates. We were upgraded to the Artist Loft, which was the largest room. The inn keeper had to book us a room at another in for our second night, and she covered the cost.
A complaint about the room was that the bathroom had a window that faced the outside and did not have adequate covering and the home did not have central air conditioning. Also the Artist Loft door was a pulley system, that you could not lock when leaving the room. The bed was also not that comfortable and neither of us had a good night's sleep.
As for the food, we did not have breakfest, as when we went down at 8:45 AM there was not enough food left and the meal is family style (but we had to set at a separate table). Overall, I would not stay there again, but I appreciated the inn keeper for handling the situation and finding us a place to stay at no extra cost for the second night.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Quality Inn & Suites Biltmore East
Monte Vista Hotel
Monte Vista Hotel
#4 of 8 in Black Mountain

Been to Black Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!