“Weekend trip”
Review of Black Mountain Inn

Black Mountain Inn
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This is our second time at this B&B. We had a lovely experience. The Inn has no air conditioning but we didn't need it. They have fans in the windows and at night it would get cold. It was warm during the days (90 degrees) but in the Inn it was very comfortable. Our room was quaint and we loved it. The breakfast was always great. The Inn keeper Thomas was so helpful in finding events going on and he was just great. Met a lot of nice people. Yes, the Inn is near a railroad but if you stay anywhere near downtown Black Mountain you will hear the train. We will be back....Had an awesome time staying at Black Mountain Inn.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed at the Inn for 2 nights using a Groupon we had purchased. After staying in the b&b I would not recommend staying if you have to pay the normal price. Even the Groupon price was a little much to pay for what you get.

The Inn is historic and could be really beautiful, but there is a serious lack of attention to detail. The curtains are old, faded and some had holes in them. The pictures on the wall look like something from a thrift store in cheap plastic frames and the banisters on the stairs were covered in cobwebs. We arrived at about 7pm on Friday evening and there was no innkeeper in sight. We wandered around for a while and finally my husband found a piece of paper on the fireplace mantle telling us where are room was. I have arrived at b&b's late in the evening before and someone has always been there to greet us.

Our room was adequate. I stayed in Michael's room. The windows were nice and it did have a bathroom, but no extras. Just one soap, no other toiletries. The bathroom needed to be gutted and re-done, but it was fine for 2 nights. It was cool in the mountains and we slept with the windows open and a fan on. But there is a train very close by and it goes by about 4 times a night. It is pretty loud!

Breakfast was good, but simple. Coffee, orange juice, milk, fruit, yogurt, homemade granola (that was really good) and a small egg casserole. Each morning we were 1 chair short in the dining room, which I thought was odd since there were extra chairs in the hall. One of the guests had to go get their own chair. These small details were the kind of thing that annoyed me. There was also no afternoon tea, cookies or anything like that served, which most b&b's offer.

We didn't meet the inn keeper until we were checking out. He never seemed to be there. There was no personality to the place. You really expect hospitality from a b&b and you don't get that here.

I stayed at a hotel in Asheville in Decemeber. It was about $30 cheaper per night than that Black Mountain Inn. It cleaner, friendlier, had better breakfast, cookies and hot chocolate served in the afternoon and the had a beautiful seating area in the lobby next to a fireplace. I would rather stay in hotel next time than waste my time at the Black Mountain Inn.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank emmaline
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I called to redeem a Groupon at Black Mountain Inn. The woman was nice, until I mentioned the Groupon and she was so rude. Abrubtly told me that only Michael's room was available, I inquired about it and all she said "it's all windows, didn't you look on the internet?" I am flexible with my dates since we live nearby, but the conversation did not even get that far.

I contacted Groupon and want my money back. I have purchased many Groupons and have never been treated the way she treated me, and sadly we live near by the Inn and wanted to try it before using it as a hotel for etended family.

Why would Groupon even associate with this buisiness?

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank falt007
Reviewed 23 April 2012

If you are looking for luxury or for a fancy place keep moving. This is an old house, with floors that vary in height by several inches (our bed moved nearly a foot during the night from the combination of our rolling over and the slanted floor!), and simple furnishings. The tubs/showers are not luxurious or beautiful, but it is a comfy place to spend the night and the owner, June Bergeron, is friendly. Breakfast was good (the granola was exceptional!) and filling. It is an experience worth the Groupon rate, but I would have been disappointed had I paid full rate.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I never made it past the reservation stage so I can not say what it is like to stay there. (However, based on the other reviews, I'm glad it didn't work out now.) I purchased a Groupon for my honeymoon and when I called to make reservations asked if since it was my honeymoon if anything could be done to make the stay special and if there were any alternatives to the sauna package I couldn't use since I'm expecting. I was yelled at by the innkeeper and asked if I thought it was fair to ask her for substitutions when she had already made a package, why I thought I deserved special treatment, and was told she didn't think she could offer me anything that would make me happy and then she hung up on me. By the end of the conversation I was so upset and disappointed by the call I was in tears. Then she had the nerve to send me a confirmation request via email asking for my credit card information after she hung up on me. Of course I have contacted Groupon and had my purchase refunded and will be staying somewhere on my honeymoon that is as excited to have us spend our special occasion there as we are to be there!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CreativeRay
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Not what we expected. All of the couples we saw received this as a gift, including us. The highway and train were very annoying. The apartment complex next door was fine but is more of what I would expect from a cheap motel. This is basically a room in a house with a breakfast that you could get at a Hampton but it doesn't have the conveniences of a standard motel. Nothing to do in the area but it is close to Asheville which we found to be enjoyable. We left after one night even thou,gh our gift included two nights. If you want a real B&B go to the Buckhorn Inn in Gatlinberg for the same price. For those giving gifts, this one is a rip off at any price.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Victor A
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We were given two weekday nights at the Black Mountain Inn as a "mini honeymoon" by my Mom. We stayed Mon. Jan.16 thru Wed. the 18. The innkeeper, June Bergeron, was very welcoming and makes excellent breakfasts! We particularly enjoyed the granola and polish pancakes with blueberries.It was nice to converse with the other guests at breakfast. We stayed in Beverly's room and were very happy with the super comfy bed.We slept like babies both nights. We did not hear the trains as some others have complained of. Our room was very cozy and warm, especially important to my husband who is always cold! We also enjoyed sitting by the fireplace downstairs. The inn was built in 1830, I believe, and we love historic places. Even though we only live about an hour and a half from Asheville, we will be staying with June again soon, I hope! I would like to have one of the rooms on the "sleeping porch" in the summer!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are unique. Visit the website for photos!