“Weekend get away”
Review of Black Mountain Inn

Black Mountain Inn
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We had dinner there , service was excellent. Made me want to return nd stay in the Hotel! My kids and went here wih family to celebrate a birthday. The food was wonderful, the ambience awesome. Cant wait to plan another stay here!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kathybarkocy

Reviewed 4 November 2012

I stayed four nights in the Beverly room. It was cozy country simple with seasonally appropriate flannel sheets and shea butter soap with wood stoves on each level. The old wood had its creeks and snaps but it was apparent it was shiny and well preserved despite the many years of those who likely traveled through the same hallways. It's a quiet & inspirational place where one can reflect in solitude at the foothills of the BlueRidge. I liked the fact no one bothered me and I was well fed and comfortable. It was a nice break from hustle & bustle. I liked the train so much I digitally recorded it so I could play it back! Black Mountain Inn gets an A+ for charm ,cleanliness & lovely greeting houseplants. I would love to go back again!!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Denise M
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We purchased the Groupon and just got back from our weekend at the Inn. I think even the Groupon was overpriced for what you get. The train was a real deal breaker for me. It went by, blowing the whistle, at least 4 times throughout the night. When the train wasn't going by, you could hear trucks on I40 that sounded the same as the train, minus the whistle. On top of that, the mattress was really uncomfortable.

There was very little attention to detail at this Inn. You go to a B&B and expect to relax and hang out and be charmed by the historic home. There were no comfy chairs, inside or out, to sit and enjoy the mountain air and read a book for example. The drapes and comforter were dingy and old. The Innkeeper was nowhere to be seen. We checked in on Friday, and I never saw her the rest of the weekend.

Breakfast was far from "gourmet", like the website says. Instead it was an egg casserole dish served in a pyrex dish with fruit that wasn't quite ripe and homemade granola. They didn't have decaf coffee either. Come on, how difficult would that be?

I would definitely not recommend this place.

5  Thank Anna L
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We too visited the Black Mountain Inn through a Groupon offer. Unfortunately it was not the weekend mountain getaway that we anticipated. The Inn is poorly maintained. Very dark throughout with a musty, moldy odor. We stayed in Peter's room. This room should either be closed for use or renovated. The floor is seriously uneven so the bed slopes to one side. The mattress is very old and should be replaced. The room is small and poorly lit. The shower/tub and sink are in the room with a tiny toilet closet. The breakfast is unimaginative and not particularly fresh and tasty. We were woken throughout the night with 5 trains passing through town and their horns blaring. The rate even with the Groupon was highly inflated for the level of accommodations provided. The full rate is totally out of line with the quality and comfort as compared with similar B&B's in the area. I would not recommend this Inn. I am completely disappointed in the Groupon offer and their lack of discrimination in research to offer this B&B for this rate. Or at all. This will certainly give pause to future Groupon purchases.
Shame on you Groupon!

2  Thank WendyS_4828
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We went to the Black Mountain Inn as a result of a Groupon purchase. It was interesting, we stayed in the Arayana Room. It was adequate and the bed was comfortable. The bath/shower was tiny, but water was hot and shower pressure was plentiful. Breakfast was, again, adequate and tasty. We had to ask for more coffee on the first morning and when we went to ask for more coffee on the second morning, the kitchen was closed. We met interesting people and enjoyed the conversation with them and the innkeeper and her sister. Yes, the train does go by, but it is part of the charm as far as I am concerned. We probably would not stay again but only because of the distance.

1  Thank MsDuffy
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Had groupon for the Inn. Very disappointed..escorted to very small corner room with not much space. Bathroom very small. Loud train heard most of night. Mattress was AWFUL. Both my husband and I awoke with back issues. The breakfasts were fair to good. Innkeepers really need to replace mattress in room or stop using that room. Peek at other rooms seemed to be nicer. I was told Inn was booked except for this room so didn't ask for upgrade. Think we got same room former reviewer slept in..nothing had changed! Best part of Inn was meeting other nice guests and their handyman who was very friendly. Cannot recommend this Inn.

Room Tip: If you go, refuse the small room in front left corner of inn ( front left corner facing road). Has...
1  Thank drussow
Reviewed 7 August 2012

This is our second time at this B&B. We had a lovely experience. The Inn has no air conditioning but we didn't need it. They have fans in the windows and at night it would get cold. It was warm during the days (90 degrees) but in the Inn it was very comfortable. Our room was quaint and we loved it. The breakfast was always great. The Inn keeper Thomas was so helpful in finding events going on and he was just great. Met a lot of nice people. Yes, the Inn is near a railroad but if you stay anywhere near downtown Black Mountain you will hear the train. We will be back....Had an awesome time staying at Black Mountain Inn.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 mi away
Inn on Mill Creek
Inn on Mill Creek
#1 of 1 in Old Fort

Been to Black Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!