“Good Beer. Great Service.”

Black Mountain Ale House
Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: Contemporary, Gastropub, American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Ohio
“Good Beer. Great Service.”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We'd been walking and hiking in the area for days so by the time we decided to do some shopping in the quaint shops of downtown Black Mountain, I was pretty much done. A few shops in, I lured my husband into Black Mountain Ale House looking for a comfy bar stool and something cold to drink. They had literally just opened the doors, but once we made it clear we were just looking for something to wet out whistle, the bartender was happy to oblige. She was extremely friendly and very helpful despite the fact that she was also getting other areas of the restaurant ready for meal service. She was sweet enough to give me a few samples of local beers until I found one I liked. And did I mention that since it was Thursday, the pints were $3? Great deal! Their basement bar opens up into a gorgeous patio and I found myself bummed that we'd be out of town before dinner time rolled around. Next time we are in Black Mountain, we will no doubt haunt the Ale House again.

• Visited May 2014

Collingwood, Canada
“Post ride pints”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Great place to end your ride...choice of fresh local drafts galore! If looking for a cocktail try the "firefly"- bourbon, fresh ginger, lemon...very refreshing!
Staff was very friendly and great atmosphere!

Atlanta, Georgia
“Fun menu in a quiet & cute downtown”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The menu and patio drew us in, but it wasn't awesome. The downside: food came out slowly and not all items lived up to the menu descriptions (like the veggie burger - it's basically a rice patty on a bun). Upside: it was nice to sit outside, the hummus and pimento cheese appetizer was tasty, the sweet potato fries were very good.

Asheville, North Carolina
“Pleasantly surprised about food and service”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I had dinner tonight at a club meeting (French Broad Mensa) at Black Mountain Ale House and was pleasantly surprised by the food and service.

First, the service was very friendly and perky, even though this was a group of around 15 or 16, most of which wanted individual checks, which must be a pain for the waitstaff to handle, especially given that by the time we left at around 8 pm the place was full.

Second, the food seemed a step up from standard pub food. I had a burger with fries, but those around me had salmon and fish and chips and other entrees, and I didn't hear any complaints. My 8 oz. cheeseburger wasn't world-class, but it was prepared exactly to order, with first-rate fries. I'd rate it among the better burgers in the Asheville area, especially given the price ($8 plus 75 cents for cheese).

I also had a Jack on the rocks ($7) and a Pisgah ale (a bargain at $3).

Altogether, my bill came to around $20 with tax, not including my usual generous tip.

The Ale House in the heart of Black Mountain on Cherry Street, but because the main entrance is just a doorway leading down some steep steps, it's easy to miss. (It's right next door to the well-known Verandah restaurant.) There's sufficient street parking on Cherry Street and nearby, especially in the evening. The basement atmosphere, with brick walls, spells rathskeller pub, but it fits this place.

When in Black Mountain, I'd go back for a burger and local beer.

1 Thank LanSluderBelize
Jamestown, NC
“Great Food, Less Than Great Service; Cilantro Cole Slaw?”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

On a beautiful spring afternoon we stopped at the Black Mountain Ale House for lunch and ate on the patio, al fresco. My wife said that it was the best Blue Cheese Wedge Salad she had ever eaten. The salad was generous with bacon (and nothing is bad with bacon on it) and blue cheese. The house made dressing was excellent. My House Burger was nice and thick and cooked to perfection. My only complaint was the slow service. The place was not all that busy but our lunch seemed to take a long time. Let me put it to you this way, if I can finish a beer before the food arrives it is slow as I am not a fast drinker. My only other complaint was the cole slaw; cilantro in the cole slaw? Yuck! In my guacamole or pico de gallo but not cole slaw.

1 Thank JamestownRGW