“Lunch Time” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Veranda Cafe & Gifts

Veranda Cafe & Gifts
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Daily plate lunches, six house made soups, unique sandwiches, wraps, Panini's, salads, decadent desserts, and more..
Covington, Georgia
“Lunch Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Popular local restaurant doesn't disappoint! My wife and I shared a very tasty lunch at Veranda while staying in Black Mountain. Soup and sandwich combos are very nice. I had a French dip with bean soup. Very good bread and plenty of slices of real roast beef and enough jus that was perfectly seasoned. The beans were pinto, I prefer white beans, and had a very good flavor. My wife had a tomato onion soup with a turkey cranberry sandwich. Her turkey was moist and flavorful but she would have preferred a more traditional onion soup. The only negative was that even though we stopped after 2:00 and the restaurant was not busy we were seated at a "two-top". I probably should have asked for a larger table because the tabletop was narrower than my shoulders and I felt crowded.

St. Augustine, Florida
“Best Food & Atmosphere for lunch near Asheville”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We were visiting a friend near Lake Lure and ventured out to Black Mountain for some lunch and gift shopping. We walked into a very nice café called Veranda Café & Gifts and was totally surprised that our lunch was such high quality food and so tastefully prepared being that the prices and location were not like you would find in the big cities.

Jeff Butler and his wife Palette are the owners and have done a fabulous job with the décor, seating arrangements, and menu choices such that there is something for everyone's taste buds and lots to see and smell.

In addition to their high level of service and quality of food, I have to also compliment them on hiring some of the nicest, most friendly waitress staff that I have experienced.

If you are traveling to Asheville, NC be sure to stop in Black Mountain and visit Jeff & Palette for lunch, I am absolutely convinced you will be pleased beyond your expectations.

St. Augustine, Florida
“Always eat local”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

My family recently bought a vacation home near Black Mountain, my mom said we had to eat at Veranda Cafe. I'm sure glad we did- it was delicious, healthy, and hit the spot. Try the Tomato French Onion soup! We will definitely be frequenting this cute-yummy spot every time we are here.

Hong Kong, China
“Worth travelling to for the good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

On a detour we went through Black mountain, North Carolina and decided to take real. Avoiding the out of town eateries we wondered through this small charming town and came across a slice of heaven called the Veranda Cafe.

Set in a small brick building, it offers excellent lunches and dinners. We arrived at lunch and were shown to our seats by friendly staff. The menu was very welcoming from soups to interesting sandwiches. I had the plantation tomato and okra soup that was was excellent - hearty with a definite tang and this was followed by the ham and cheese sandwich. Mind you to call it just a ham and cheese sandwich doesn't do it justice - a perfect blend of black forest ham, cheese, tomato and excellent rye bread. Too often sandwiches like this are fuel - you eat it but its not pleasurable. This was just perfect, tasty and just right. My friend had the Greek salad which was excellent.

The coffee was good too which is rare in many cafes! Not only was this excellent value for money, not only was the menu thoughtful and well balanced but there is a good reason this place is packed out. Great food, local ingredients, an excellent menu and friendly staff.....really stop by it is worth it.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
black mountain nc
“premier lunch spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

On historic Cherry Street, the Veranda has been serving excellent lunch fare for many years. Tasty homemade soups, interesting salads, fresh sandwiches. Hard to get in this one in the summer and fall, but worth waiting for a table.

Visited February 2014