“One of the best!”

Red Rocker Inn
Westminster, Massachusetts
“One of the best!”
Reviewed 11 June 2011

After a recent stay at the Red Rocker Inn with a group of nine women we all agree that our 3 night stay was one of our best inn experiences as a group. We have travelled throughout the US for over ten years and Red Rocker was superior to most! Comfy beds, beautifully decorated rooms, breakfast buffet each morning was far superior to most. The rockers on the large front porch were just perfect for relaxing with friends after a day of hiking or shopping. We loved the location so close to downtown yet located in a quiet lovely neighborhood. Out hats go off to this family of talented cooks!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Lincoln, Delaware
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Exceptional bed & breakfast centrally located to some of the best hiking trails in NC! Southern hospitality and great breakfasts and dinner. All the charm and comfort one would expect from a bed & breakfast in the southern part of our country. Especially appreciated the daily prayer before breakfast-thank you John.

Room Tip: all the rooms at the inn are quite comfortable
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Kannapolis, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 January 2011

My wife and I like traveling in the NC mountains around this time of year because I am about to go into a long season of coaching. The innkeeper at this large B and B was helpful, courteous, and thankfully efficient.

Our room on the 3rd floor was spacious and my wife loved the spa tub to relax in after a long day of hiking. This room was recently renovated, and some of the old feel of the house was lost in the electric fireplace and modern fixtures. Overall, the room was worth the climb up 3 stories of stairs. On the third floor the Wi-fi doesn't reach, so we asked to hang out in the great room to watch an online football game. The owner came down and interacted with us for almost the entire 3 hours and seemed happy to rock on the chairs on the front porch.

Most B and B's in this area are so tired of making breakfast that my wife and I end up eating tomato aspic and some exotic frittata and all I really want is some bacon. You will not be disappointed! The breakfast was AMAZING and recently we stayed at a Hilton that charged $15 per person for a lower quality breakfast.

We did not schedule a dinner reservation and we should have. The local restaurants range from spectacular to terrible. We got one of each.

Anne and I would stay at the Red Rocker Inn again, and we were thoroughly impressed with the room, the food, and the service.

1 Thank Pifer_N
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 14 December 2010

It is hard to understand some of the mean-spirited reviews below, in light of all the other very complimentary ones. My wife and I found the Red Rocker Inn to be a gem of a find, and it made our visit to Asheville and the Biltmore so much more wonderful. I was pleased when Jenny told us they say a blessing over the breakfast meal (and the start of the day). I knew they must be trustworthy and caring people, and they proved to be that and more. Both Jenny and Doug made us feel as if we had been invited into a friends' home and told to make ourselves at home. My wife and I loved it so much, we scheduled time to just relax at the inn in front of the sitting room fire on Sunday night and again on Monday morning. We loved our room, but spent some time looking into other vacant rooms, deciding which one we will try on our next visit. We plan to make this our home away from home as we return to Asheville time and again. Oh, and the food was excellent, so much so that I secretly bought their cookbook as a stocking stuffer for my wife. (Don't tell!) I highly recommend this B&B to everyone.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarlTheSwede
Winchester, Tennessee
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Location is in walking distance to restaurants and shopping. Breakfast is very good. We did not have a chance to eat dinner this visit but the coconut cake was still memorable from the first trip. Other great places to eat are the Black Mountain bistro and My Father's Pizza. Room had very comfortable bed and it was quiet while there so very relaxing environment. Our room had extra large chair with ottoman that made a great place for reading while not disturbing anyone sleeping.

3 Thank TNDayTripper
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 10 November 2010

My fiance and I stayed at the Red Rocker Inn for 2 nights while we were in Black Mountain, NC for a friends wedding. When initially looking for a place to stay there were many cabins, inns, and B&B's to choose from. We chose Red Rocker for the location, great price, the rooms, and their breakfast! It was all well worth the stay.

We arrived alittle after the expected check-in time which we told the Inn we would be later. We walked in during dinner and it smelled great! We didn't eat dinner at the Inn since we checked in and left to meet our friends, but from what we saw on the table and how it smelled was great! Andrew (the inn keepers son) checked us in and gave us a quick tour of the house and then to our room. Our room was big so we didn't feel cramped. The sink and toilet is in its own room that is big enough for 2 people to be in at the same time. The shower is very large. I found to give the hot water about a minute to get hot (becareful it gets hot!).

We slept very comfortable in the queen sized bed. The weather was cold (30's to 40's). The room did get cold but freezing. There is central heat & A/C which kicked on to warm the room. Breakfast is from 8:30 am to 9:30 am and make sure you bring your appetite! You can smell breakfast all throughout the Inn.

The Inn is only a few minutes walk into the downtown area. Asheville is about 20 minutes away via I-40 west. Parking was somewhat tight for the Saturday we were there. Like I wrote above we arrived around dinner time and the tables were full of guests. I thought parking would empty out for the night, but it didn't upon our return. On Sunday there was plenty of parking. I think there were about 3 rooms still occupied.

You can check out in advance if you are leaving early the next morning. We didn't get a chance to do it since we were rushing to the wedding. We checked out at 7:45 am and the innkeepers, Doug and Jenny Bowman offered to make us breakfast. Also they said that if they would have known ahead of time we were leaving early they would have had the buffett out. This on their part truly showed their hospitality towards their guests.

I would defenitely stay at the Red Rocker Inn again!

2 Thank lexus873
Georgia
Reviewed 3 November 2010

Current owner/management from 2007 from what I could tell. The Inn is charming but could be so much better. Our room had a great theme, however, the carpet needed cleaning, the bathroom vent was clogged with dust (it did seem to work) the toilet could have been much cleaner, the pillows were worn out, and the bathroom door had no latch.......all things that could be resolved if care and attention were being paid. The side entrance door threshold was badly worn and is near a safety issue. It should be replaced before someone gets hurt. Dinner at the Inn was for the most part better than average although one item had to be returned and when tasted by the chef, he indicated that it should have been returned. Pricing for the menu items seemed to be about average for the area. Dessert items were much better than average. The service was very good, Kelly and Andrew were very attentive. The breakfast buffet comes with the room, however, as the arrival information clearly states, it is served at 8:30 AM until 9:00 AM, the timeframe a bit tight for me. In addition, when 8:30 AM arrives, you are not allowed to start until all of the buffet items are discussed (even though they are clearly labeled) and a prayer has been said by one of the owners. A bit too controling for me and I would think the prayer would be offensive to some due to their religious affilations. Since there are many other options for small Inns and B&B's in the area, I would have a hard time recommending this Inn to a friend.

9 Thank travelone49
#1 of 8 in Black Mountain
Monte Vista Hotel
Monte Vista Hotel
#4 of 8 in Black Mountain

Been to Red Rocker Inn? Share your experiences!