“Historic Inn”
Review of Red Rocker Inn

Red Rocker Inn
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Inn in located right on N Dougherty St in historic downtown Black Mountain. It is walking distance to all the shops, dinning and local museum.
The desert is to die for. Make sure you have a buddy to share, since portions are very generous!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We recently spent 3 nights at the Red Rocker Inn, and found the experience most enjoyable. We would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a bed and breakfast. The location is excellent, in that you can make day excursions to local attractions.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. Doug and Jenny took care of all of our needs. The breakfast buffet cannot be beat and the dinners were outstanding. The servers were very polite. We will definitely come back again this Fall. GO NOLES :)

Thanks,

Gordon and Sue
Ormond Beach, Florida

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Found this Inn last minute near my daughter's camp, and they were incredibly friendly and welcoming! Breakfast was very good, and while wireless wasn't exactly spot-on in my room, they were gracious enough to let me use a side-room for privacy during my meetings so I can more continuous wi-fi.

Overall a very positive experience and well worth the price!

Room Tip: If you need wi-fi try to get on main floor or right above kitchen.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
redrocker07, Owner at Red Rocker Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Hi Thanks so much for your review!!! We too have discovered a glitch in the WiFi and we are fixing that this week, so when you come back it should behave much better.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

For the past four years and friend and I stay here on the way back from Whitewater Rafting. This place is comfortable and quiet. Every area is kept in the best condition. The food is excellent, both the dinner and of course the breakfast. The family hosts are extremely nice and interesting. For quality the price is a bargain.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2014

At the Red Rocker, owners Jenny & Doug know how to run a B&B. My wife and I just returned from a 2-night stay for our 15th wedding anniversary, and we could not have had a better time.
We ate at the inn both nights. On Tuesday night, our server Rebecca made several recommendations, and they were all perfect. Grits, catfish, and roasted squash were perfect as were the steak, chocolate cake, and blackberry cobbler.
The second night brought a different waiter, Mike, a delight. Mike loves sports as much as I do, if not more, and we talked about NY Yankees, Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, and the designated hitter. The food this night was just as good. We feasted on Mountain Trout, BBQ Ribs, Goat cheese mac & cheese, Hummingbird cake, and Reese's ice cream pie.
Dinners were delicious, and breakfast were as much so. Suffice it to say that pancakes, cheese grits, bacon, and scrambled egg casserole are only a portion of what we saw on the morning buffets.
No TV? No problem. The inn provides a TV in a family-type room, but I didn't care for it. Two days away from the internet, phones, and the ole' rigamarole were just what the doctor ordered for me.
We had but one complaint during our time at the Red Rocker. My wife and I are voracious readers, regularly reading 1-2 hours nightly in bed before we turn the lights out. We stayed in the Anniversary Room, which is quite dark and has a lack of floor lamps. Once I mentioned this to Jenny and Doug on the first morning, Doug brought us a bright floor lamp that enabled us to read in the room over 2 hours on Wednesday night.
Thanks so much for such a delicious, relaxing anniversary. We WILL return.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rodney C
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I stay at the Red Rocker Inn each year for our anniversary. We have been very pleased with the location, service, rooms and breakfast provided. This is not a hotel. It is a quiet, old time bed and breakfast in a quaint town outside of Asheville. You will not find things like a television in your room but there is one in the parlor. If we wanted to spend our time watching tv we would stay home. Check-in has always been efficient and the staff friendly and accommodating. Over the years we have stayed in 5 different rooms and each has been comfortable and clean with our favorite being the Old North. Other rooms we have stayed in are the Molly Bear, Primrose (which has no shower, only a jacuzzi tub that works perfectly after a long day), Music and Seven Sisters and each has looked just like its online photo. The inn is kept clean, things are run efficiently and the owner's love of the old home and hospitality is evident everywhere.

The breakfast is served buffet style and there are always a variety of treats available. There are homemade biscuits, coffeecake or muffins or banana bread, an egg dish, bacon or sausage, cheese grits, Gravy, home style potatoes or hash browns, specialty pancakes or french toast, homemade apple butter, toast, fresh fruit, homemade granola and vanilla yogurt. If you don't like their egg dish they will make you scrambled, fried or poached eggs to order. My husband loves coming here for their breakfast.

The Red Rocker B&B was recommended to us 10 years ago by a dear friend who came with her husband several times before he passed. When we married she suggested we try it out. And she was right we love it as much as they did. If you are looking for a modern hotel, don't stay here. But, if you want a quiet and quaint bed and breakfast for a romantic getaway that is close to everything but not on the main path look no farther.

Room Tip: Go through the descriptions and photos closely before choosing your room. If you don't see it in...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2014

we went here to have a birthday/anniversary celebration for my dad/parents. We call a couple of weeks ahead because I read somewhere they had a room available for "private parties" but when my sister called they said it was either booked or they didn't sorry I can't remember. Anyway, they allowed us to come early to decorate (they put us in a far corner) and they allowed us to bring a cake. I spoke to a few people waiting on a table that were also staying at the B&B and they told me I had made a mistake bringing the cake that the place has fantastic dessert. I just loved the atmosphere and that night they had over 100 people coming to dine with them. Our server seemed new compared to some of the others that I observed but even so she was fine and very accommodating. I don't like tomatoes and their fried green tomatoes I thought were very good. The side order of cheesy grits was fantastic. I didn't love my trout which was disappointing. Several in my party had a special of tilapia and everyone said it was very good. I wish I had been able to try the dessert. The location of this establishment was in a nice little neighborhood and I would say anyone that stayed here would probably be quite pleased. One couple I spoke to say they go every year for their anniversary. I don't think anyone would be disappointed. GO NOLES!! F-L-O-R-I-D-A S-T-A-T-E Florida State Florida State Florida State WOOOOO!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends