“Wish I found them sooner!”
Review of Velo Girl Rides

Velo Girl Rides
More attraction details
Owner description: We provide Beautiful Cycling Experiences along the Blue Ridge Parkway, in the farmland and forests, and throughout the Virginia/North Carolina/South Carolina region. We offer a variety of scheduled all-inclusive multi-day tours, and we also provide day tours and custom tours to meet your specific needs. We can arrange for you to meet the farmer who grows the food you'll eat in any number of the great Asheville area restaurants, similar to our famous Cycle to Farm(R) event.
black mountain, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wish I found them sooner!”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Velo Girl Rides is a great way to meet fun adventurous people, improve your cycling skills, travel through beautiful scenery, and visit local farms, all at the same time. I joined VGR about 1-1/2 years ago as a novice rider, barely able to keep my balance on those skinny little tires! Thanks to Jen and David's incredible knowledge, experience, patience, and sweet words of encouragement, I have become a much stronger, confident cyclist, so much so that I plan on doing the 10 day Blue Ridge Parkway tour next fall. I have also found new lifelong friends in the process... What more can one ask for??

Visited December 2013

Seattle, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Blue Ridge Parkway Ride!”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I don't know about their local rides because I came out from Seattle to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway. There's the ride and then there's the company. The Blue Ridge Parkway is just under 500 miles of some of the best pavement in America for riding a bicycle on. Few cars, great scenery, and that great federally financed pavement! One of if not the best long ride in America. As for the company, they are an owner operated tour company that provides a level of service and attentiveness above what we've had from the larger vendors. Jen is as sweet as can be and a pleasure to ride with and David makes sure things are working and run on time. The van was comfy, they found colorful local restaurants for us to eat at, and we stayed in some local cabins and large park lodges. All in all a fun and well run tour company.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank ReedStr
Black Mountain, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Riding with Velo Girl Rides”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

For starters, don't let the name throw you! Both gals and guys ride with VGR. Jen and David made me and my wife's relocation to the Black Mountain area smooth with a variety of group ride options as well as specific training opportunities for their Cycle to Farm events.
The group rides are varied in both terrain and skill level/speed. Even on longer group rides they accommodate all riding speed and strength. There are several routes that were challenging for me initially and now a year later I crank up the climbs with 'relative' ease.
The Cycle to Farm training rides are fun, you meet many people getting ready to do the same event you are and you build community along the way. Several riders were new in 2013 and it was fantastic to see them get stronger and accomplish the CTF ride. Much of that is a credit to VGRs training plan and support of those riding and training with them.
Not once did I feel 'less than ' by being the last to crest a long climb. If anything I was made to feel special like the time I climbed to the top of Mt Mitchell with VGR. There stood Jen and other VGR riders cheering me on over that last hump.
Lastly, traveling in their van with your bike safely in the enclosed trailer made some of the organized charity rides we participated in much easier. I personally look forward to more VGR bicycle action!
The Asheville area is all the more sweet as a riding community with the presence of Velo Girl Rides.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank newroadchoices
Banner Elk, North Carolina
“First-rate Cycling Experiences”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

About 2 years ago, a friend pointed out an upcoming ride called Cycle To Farm. What piqued my interest was a series of training rides by Velo Girl Rides every Saturday morning designed to prepare for the ride. I'd never ridden in a group, didn't know anyone, wasn't a serious rider, and decided to go one Saturday morning. I've been riding with Velo Girl Rides ever since. David & Jen are two of the very nicest people I've ever met–friendly, patient, professional, knowledgeable, enthusiastic and fun. I honestly cannot recommend them highly enough.

Visited October 2013