No photo provided
Add it.
Appalachian Resort
Ranked #22 of 39 things to do in Blowing Rock
More attraction details
Owner description: Family-friendly recreational area in the Blue Ridge region that welcomes skiers and snowboarders of all skills and styles.
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This was the first ski resort we visited and we fell in love with it. It is not as crowded as some of the nearby resorts and has a more intimate feel to it. We take the grandchildren from Florida there every year to ice skate and to ski board! The restuarant is a great place to hang out and just watch the kids have fun.

1  Thank Tami D

Reviewed 15 April 2012

Great place to take the family for some fun in the snow and great views!

1  Thank Lori S
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Great deals, helpful staff, lots to do, overall very good experience

Reviewed 26 January 2012

We've gone as a family to App ski mountain many times when we had a cabin not far away and we still make the trek from Raleigh for day trips. It's the only place I will go in the Boone area to ski on a weekend, because Sugar and Beech get stupid crowded and you'll spend all your time in line at those other areas. App is a great place to learn to ski, so if you already know how then you'll need to watch out for those beginners. And the area is small - but usually even on a busy day the lift lines are not that long and at least you can get back onto the hill. There are usually 2 or 3 ticket windows open so the other reviewer may not have known that, if you don't need rentals then you should go to the upstairs ticket window. The cafeteria food is better than most.

1  Thank momtero
A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed 1 May 2005

My wife and I decided to drive to Appalachia from Gatlinburg, TN one day, because there wasn't really any good skiing in TN due to the warm weather. We didn't have any problems with the slopes (even though they are a far cry from CO), but we did have a problem with the customer service.

We picked up the requested paperwork at the cashier's counter and immediately started filling it out within six feet of the window. When we had all the forms filled out (took approximately 5 min), we went to the window to submit them and pay. But, the cashier had decided that it was time to go to lunch at some point when we were filling out the forms. So, the window was slammed in our faces. I believe that their cashier should have either waited or asked us to come back later instead of shutting the window and saying nothing.

I went to the manager's office to ask for assistance in the matter, and nobody was available to help. So, I wrote a letter asking for them to confirm that this is the way they prefer to do business. I requested a response by mail or email. It is May and we took this vacation in January. I tend to believe that no response means that they concur wholeheartedly. So, I have no choice but to write this review and hope that some of you out there are spared from a mediocre ski experience with extraordinarily bad customer service.

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member