“Perfect day”

Westglow Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I spent the perfect day at this spa. The view is to die for, the Services were great I had a massage and facial. Both therapists were awesome, The decor was light and airy. My package included a lunch it was pretty good, the dessert was not great but I really did Not need to eat it anyway :). The homemade ginger tea was great. The exercise facility was perfect for my needs, i wish there were exercise classes during the times i was there as i would have loved to check them out, i had services during the scheduled times. However, the staff did pull out a spin bike for me and offered to put in a video for my own private class. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and I can't wait to come back and hike. The cleanliness of the common areas was good but my only constructive criticism is that there is not a full time attendant who is constantly straightening in the ladies locker room. it seemed like a rotating person. The ladies room stalls had water on the floor both times in the same spot where someone had come in from the pool or jacuzzi and was not dry so obviously it had not been checked on. However it was not "dirty" and I know if I took the time to say something the staff would have addressed it Immediately. It is a little pricey compared to other spas i have been to, but I would gladly pay it again as it is well worth it Frankly, you could just go and sit in the quiet room all day and look at the view to get an ultimate relaxing spa experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ncluxtrvl
Westglow224, General Manager at Westglow Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you so much for your review and comments. We are glad your experience was a good one. We will pass along all of your comments to our Spa Director for review. We hope that you will return very soon. Happy New Year!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I know Relais & Chateaux properties. I have stayed in Relais & Chateaux properties. I have dined at Relais & Chateaux restaurants. This, good sir or madam, is no Relais & Chateaux property.

And yet it is. It bears the prestigious seal. I can only assume that someone from R&C was paid off or that whoever confers the designation has not actually visited this property.

I cannot comment on the inn, as I visited just the spa and had lunch there. (Thank heavens I didn't throw any more money away at this place.)

If you're not staying at the hotel, you can't just book a spa appointment. You have to pay 200 nonrefundable dollars in advance to get a day pass. That gets you one spa service, a four-course lunch (just wait'll you hear about how puny it is) at the tiny and depressing poolside "cafe" (a complete afterthought; it's actually six tables crowded around a snack bar) and use of the facilities, which you will likely tire of after 10 minutes.

The only reason I'm giving this place even two stars is that my massage was pleasant. (But what massage isn't?)

The whole experience started off wrong because we couldn't even find the place. We stopped our car at the Westglow "Life Enrichment Center" to ask for directions. Turns out, we were at the right place. Why not just make it easy on your guests and call it a "spa"?

Perhaps even the owners feel guilty calling it a "spa" when it falls so far short.

You walk into a tiny lobby that has all the charm of your dentist's office. Through the big picture windows you'll see ... exercise equipment. Nothing says "relax" like a row of recumbent bikes. Nothing soothes like a Stairmaster. Only an amateur puts the exercise equipment front and center of her spa. That stuff belongs in a back room.

The ladies' dressing room smelled vaguely of dirty socks and is covered in a heinous, dated shade of mint green. My friend thought the "design" on the restroom wallpaper looked like a logo from a tampon box.

The attendant who took us on a guided tour pointed out that there were two massage rooms INSIDE the locker room on either side of the toilet. She apologized and said, "We try not to have to use those, but on busy Saturdays, we have to."

WHAT?! Why build something you're going to have to apologize for?

The pool looks like one from a high school gym. The two whirlpools had covers on them. Were they broken? Are guests supposed to uncover them themselves? Who knows?

The "relaxation room" is in dire need of an upgrade. Faux marble looked great in the early 1990s (when mint green was popular). It just looks sad now. I wouldn't take the room's centerpiece white vinyl sofa if someone were giving it away at a garage sale.

The four main massage rooms are directly off the "relaxation room." That means that every half hour, someone is coming out of those rooms and yelling for their next customer. So much for relaxation. The laundry closet is at the front of this room, so attendants are constantly hustling in and out with piles of sheets and towels. Not so relaxing, all that.

The David Hockney posters (posters!) in brass frames looked like something you'd see in a lower-end chain motel. It's all just a little bit pitiful.

Our pricey lunch was made up of the smallest portions (I get it; this is a spa) of bland and tasteless food (I don't get that). The salad vegetables weren't cut small enough -- another amateur mistake. We had to use a knife and fork on carrots and cukes. I think my chicken entree was actually a low-sodium Lean Cuisine.

Even though the five of us had paid for a day pass, we bolted as soon as our services were over. We couldn't get out fast enough.

Someone from Relais & Chateaux needs to actually take a look at this place and revoke the designation.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
22  Thank Have_fun_will_travel
Westglow224, General Manager at Westglow Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

We are certainly distressed that Westglow Resort & Spa did not meet your expectations, but even more disturbed at the vitriolic tone of your comments. We are not deserving of such commentary and we would like to respond to your comments:

1. Relais & Chateaux is an elite organization of unique properties, each meeting the rigorous standards of the brand. No resort, including ours, has the ability to "pay off" the organization to become a member. Beyond Relais & Chateaux, our spa is currently ranked fourth in the world in Travel & Leisure magazine, as well as the recipient of six reader's choice awards from Spa Finder (Best for Accommodations, Best for Going Solo, Best for Romance, Best for Girlfriends Getaway, Best for LGBT, and Best for Weddings). Accolades such as these are reflective of the high level of service we provide, the design of our facility, and the commitment of our owners and staff to ensure a superior experience to each of our guests.
2. We are destination spa and you are correct that one cannot book individual services unless you are a guest or member of the resort. Our resort is not designed for people seeking a quick in/out massage.
3. Our reception area is not tiny. It is outfitted with Carrera marble and black granite, setting the tone for the interior design of our facility. Whether it is "charming" is a matter of personal preference.
4. We offer no apology for exercise equipment being visible. We do not believe health and wellness should be relegated to a "back room". Our facility is called the "Life Enrichment Center" because it is just that. We provide an environment and facility that embodies all of the principles of a healthy lifestyle.
5. Cleanliness is paramount to the operation of our facility. With a staff to guest ratio of 4 to 1, we maintain the highest level of hygiene; rest assured you did not smell dirty socks.
6. Your comments seem to be rooted in a deep dislike of the interior design of our facility. Comments such as "wallpaper looks like a tampon box" (that comment should be on an adult oriented website) and "white vinyl sofa that I wouldn't buy at a yard sale" (Roche Bobois leather sofa) really are not deserving of further comment.
7. Our poolside cafe offers a variety of options for our spa guests, each entree with 500 calories or less. Our ingredients are the very finest and freshest; we are a farm to table facility and that does not include purveyors such as "Lean Cuisine".
8. You mention that you "bolted" at the conclusion of your services. During your visit you never voiced any concern or issues with our facility or your services. To the contrary, members of your group scheduled additional services while on our property. Had you taken the time to speak with a member of our management team we would have gladly addressed every one of your concerns.

We wish you well in your future spa experiences.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

My daughter and I spent a weekend here at the end of October and had a wonderful time. The setting is truly spectacular. The main house is gorgeously restored with so much historic character. Our room and bathroom were beautiful and charming Meals at the Westglow were a highlight. We particularly loved the breakfast smoothie. One evening, the chef went table to table after dinner and visited with guests. Due to its small size,t he atmosphere is personal and intimate and interacting with the other guests was a highlight. We loved the morning hikes and hiked both mornings. Our hiking guides, Kumar and Lynn were both terrific. The spa is lovely.
I hope to be back and bring my husband.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Lilibet1121

Thank you for your recent review. We're so glad you had a great weekend! We hope you'll return again soon.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

From the drive in to the drive out, through the check-in and check-out, the room, the property, the service and the grounds, THIS is Relais and Chateaux all the way!! The Rowland's Restaurant is truly 5-star.

Room Tip: Room 14 is the original space but beautifully done: 14A opens onto the porch for sunrise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are always excited to read glowing reviews of our resort. We hope that you'll return for another visit soon!

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I can't comment on anything but the pedicure...and if this was the only sevice they offered I would have to rate it as a 1 or 2. It was pretty much that worst Pedicure I have had. Part of it had to do with my expectations of it being a spa. The chair is just a bench, a nice bench with a cushion on it with a window view but not particularly comfortable. In past pedicures I have had the chairwith arms that supported your legs at the calves while your toes were being done. Allowing you to just relax. This did not and it was not comfortable. I had hoped that from a practical point of view it would be a durable pedicure...but it wasn't. The polish started flakeing off within a few days. The only reason I didn't give it a 1 or 2 was because that effects their overall rating....and I have no idea about how the rooms are or the food...but I would skip the pedicure and get a facial or massage...and see what those were like.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank pitayaqueen

Thank you for taking the time to write of your experience with your pedicure. We are truly sorry we didn't meet your expectations but hope that you will return and give us the opportunity to show we have taken your comments into consideration.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

This place was awesome! A great place to stay. We were looking for a quiet and relaxing place and it did not disappoint. Great food, great spa, friendly people and a beautiful area to visit. Blowing Rock was such a quaint little town we will be back soon.

Room Tip: This was our first time so can only speak to the room we had which was very nice. Clean and comforta...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Phylbar

Thank you for your positive review of our resort. We are delighted you found your visit pleasant and hope that you'll visit us again very soon!

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We visited here the last week-end of July. I can not say enough of how truly wonderful our experience was. From the moment we walked thru the door, we knew we were somewhere truly special. The home has been beautifully renovated and the attention to detail is amazing. From the Grand piano in the living room, to the flowers filling the urn on the dining room table, nothing has been overlooked.

The manager was delightful and made us feel that she really cared about our experience.The rooms are small compared to a suite in a normal hotel room, but you have you remember that this was someone's home and not a true "hotel." That being said the bed was super comfortable and the bathroom tiny but with lovely amenities. Breakfast was served in the sun porch. The setting was beyond words with the sun streaming in and the beautiful china at each setting. The meal was delicious and made with absolutely fresh ingredients. I agree with the other reviewer that it would have been nice to have longer breakfast hours so one could sleep in, but that is something the management has to decide upon. There is also morning coffee set up on china on the second floor if you are an early riser.

The spa itself is gorgeous. We ate outside on the terrace that faced the "blowing rock" and the gorge. When you walk in the relaxation room and see the enormous floor to ceiling windows over looking the mountains, with the all white leather chairs and the fireplace- you think you have landed in heaven. It is a memory that will always stay with you and have a calming effect on your psyche.

We are very active people and left for 8 hours to go hiking in Linville Gorge, but the second day we simply wanted to vegetate in the spa. It was THAT peaceful. We also took a hot yoga class at the spa that was wonderful. The instructor spoke to everyone and cared that we all got something out of the class. She modified the techniques for the different levels of people present.

So all in all we had a wonderful time. This is not the place if you want big and opulent. But for two days of relaxation and peace you won't forget it.

Room Tip: There is one room adjacent to the upstairs sitting porch that has a king bed. We did not stay in thi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed review of our resort. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay. It's always rewarding when guests recognize the efforts and hard work of our dedicated staff to maintain our property to the highest standard. We wish you happy travels and hope you'll visit again very soon.