“Best Girls' Weekend Ever”

Westglow Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Best Girls' Weekend Ever”
Reviewed 18 November 2008

I just returned from a one night stay at Westglow Resort and Spa with 13 female friends (11/16 – 11/17). We had such a great time that we started talking about a return trip about 2 hrs. into our visit. Before we left, we set the ball in motion for a visit in 2009.

We are from the Charlotte area and get together each month to do something new. Earlier this year, someone mentioned Westglow and we decided to plan a trip there since we could drive there and back with no issues. As we investigated further, we found out that it is on Travel + Leisure's Top 10 list of destination spas in the world. We decided to go up on a Sunday night and come back on a Monday (lower rates Su-Th). The overnight package includes two spa treatments, lodging, all meals, taxes, fitness classes, and use of the spa. The only additional costs were gratuities (for your treatments and for dinner), any alcoholic beverages at dinner, or additional items purchased at the spa (glass of champagne, fresh juices, nuts, etc. – they have plenty of whole fruit, teas, etc. that are included in the rate).

With regard to lodging, the Westglow Mansion is fairly small (for a resort, not for a single family dwelling), so our group was able to reserve the whole thing. It ended up being the best slumber party ever. :) Because we had the run of the house, we were able to be a little more free/relaxed and did not have to worry about disturbing the other guests. Two members of our group were scheduled to stay in the Cedar Lodge, but the staff just ended up bringing rollaway beds to two of the larger rooms so that the two of them could stay in the Mansion with us.

Overall, the lodging was quite nice. I am not a fan of traditional décor/antiques, but they had a very nice balance of old and new. Everything looks exactly as it does in the photos. I was in 14A which had the rainshower, so I did not experience the tub/shower curtain issue mentioned in other reviews. And, I only showered in the room once because I opted to try a shower in the women’s locker room after hot yoga to take advantage of some of the scrubs and other products they had for use there.

As an aside, I would not suggest staying in the Cedar Lodge as it is not a comfortable distance/walk from the Spa (where you go for services and lunch) or the Mansion (where you are served breakfast and dinner). This is especially true in the winter when it is cold and gets dark early. You basically leave the property, drive down the street a bit, and turn off to get to the Cedar Lodge. A good part of the walk would be very steep, and I’m not sure how well lit that area is at night. Also, while the Lodge is fine, the Mansion is much nicer.

As for the services, pretty much every service was sampled by the group. Overall, everyone was pleased. Instead of two (~1hr.) services, I just got one, two hour one - "The Soul of the Rose". Two other friends got this one as well. While there was at least one discrepancy between the description and the service, it was still awesome. The description says “warm body wrap”, but you are basically just laying on the bed under a heated blanket and not actually getting a body wrap. But, even with this minor “issue” I was still on the verge of tears when it ended. Say it ain’t over! :)

As somewhat of a foodie, I will say that the food was also quite good. Lunch was from the “spa” menu and, though it was 4 courses, it was all under 600 calories. Everyone was a little sad about the portions (which are more “correct” than what we normally eat), but we all agreed that the food was actually tasty—especially to be so low in calories. Of course, we were all starving by dinner. Thankfully someone decided to pack tortilla chips and dip!

Because we had the house to ourselves and no one else had reservations for dinner (Rowland’s is open to the public), we were able to dress however we wanted for dinner. More importantly, we were able to eat early. :) They have spa options available for dinner, but no one was interested in going the healthy route. Between the 14 of us, we sampled pretty much everything on the menu. Almost everything was excellent. I agree that the prawns were heavily doused in butter, but it’s just one of those things you decide to indulge in for the night but don’t eat on a regular basis. Also, they do have a spa version of the prawns. I had the duck entrée (one of my favs) and it was nearly perfect. The duck was prepared very well, but while the menu stated it had a citrus glaze, it did not appear to have much of one. It would have benefited from some sort of reduction/sauce/etc. Still a good dish though. Several of us got the molten chocolate cake (dark or white) for dessert, but some of them were a little low on the “molten” part. Another dessert, the Apple Pistachio Crisp, wasn’t as huge of a crowd pleaser. However, all of the appetizers and entrées were enjoyed by the group.

Breakfast was good, though entirely too early/short (8am – 9am only). But, I guess it does force you to get up and on with your day. Again, the quality of the food was good, though some of the portions were small. However, you can help yourself to the buffet of muffins, fresh fruit, cereals, etc., so you shouldn’t leave hungry. They do not offer any non-pork breakfast meats (turkey or veggie), so that’s one small improvement that could be made.

Last, but definitely not least, I will say the service was superb across the board. There was really only one minor exception, but his service level was only worth remark because everyone else was so great. Anywhere else, he would have been fine. From the moment we got there, the entire staff bent over backwards to make sure everything was great. One person even requested hot chocolate for a nightcap and we were told they would have to check on this. Apparently they only had packages of instant cocoa, but offered to ask the chef to make some from scratch for us the next day. So, we enjoyed homemade hot chocolate for breakfast. This is just one small example of how the staff demonstrates their willingness to ensure that your stay is a great one.

I think that one of the greatest things was the fact that we had the house to ourselves and had a bit more flexibility. However, I could see this place being a viable option for a solo trip to clear your mind or for couples, mother/daughter pairs, etc.

Overall, we had a great time and Westglow is the perfect place for a short getaway, particularly if you live nearby. We were all looking forward to the trip, but trying not to set our expectations too high before we arrived. Our expectations were definitely met and exceeded. In my opinion, the only issue with the place is the cost. Personally, it is a bit too pricey to stay for more than one night -- for the cost of a two night stay I could take an even longer trip that would involve a plane ride and my passport (and maybe even a massage or two). However, we had a really fun time with the Sunday/Monday stay and will absolutely be back in 2009. If I’m lucky, I’ll find a reason to go back on my own before then!

• Liked — Staff/service, spa treatments, food, scenery
  • Disliked — Price is a little steep - but you get what you pay for and it's worth it overall
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank Goheels98

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 7 September 2008

We had high expectations given the price of the rooms here. The rooms were very small with queen beds, very small bathrooms also. Not at all what we expected.

The tub was tiny with a shower curtain that touched you as you showered. My husband and I wanted a romantic escape to the mountains. We had a couples massage at their spa which was nice. The spa has wonderful views of the mountains.

We had dinner at Rowland's which was average. My prawn appetizer was doused in so much butter it was hard to eat. Again, for the prices we expected better cuisine. Service was really bad too.

Next time we will stay at a nice bed & breakfast and use their spa facilities separately. Not worth the stay at all.

• Liked — The front desk staff were wonderful, the dining room waiter was awful
  • Disliked — Service in the dining room
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
8 Thank lovetravel38
San Francisco
Reviewed 30 June 2008

This spa is fantastic. It's a great getaway for couples. The services are excellent, the rooms beautifully decorated, spa food is fabulous. They serve wine, if you want it. No evening activities. It's beautifully decorated. It's formal in attire as far as spas go. Excellent customer service and staff. I thought it was a great value for what you received. Don't skip it if you like spas!

• Liked — Impeccably decorated, unique setting
  • Disliked — Formal dinners, no evening activities, dress code
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank julitita
south carolina
Reviewed 6 April 2008

Five of us just returned from Westglow, where we celebrated our girlfriend's 50th birthday. What a wonderful place! We are already planning a return girls' trip!

We stayed in the "mansion" which contains 6 rooms. All the rooms were lovely and the house is a quaint and charming property. The people who work there are what make this place really special. Everyone from the receptionist to the people who book appointments to the waitstaff just went out of their way to make us feel welcomed and to make our stay special. We never went to the "Lodge" so i don't know what the rooms are like there, but each room in the "Mansion" is different. Some were much larger than others. One of the girls and I shared a room, #14, and we particularly liked it. It was a nice size, had two twin beds and opened onto a lovely porch. There was a great rainshower in that room. Some only have clawfooted tubs with a wraparound shower curtain so be sure to ask if that makes a difference to you. Also, although all of the rooms are lovely some are much smaller than others (the one across from us, I believe it was #16, was really lovely but pretty small- i think it only had a double bed in it) so be sure and ask details about the room to make sure it would suit your needs.

The meals are included and they are delicious and served in a lovely small dining room and enclosed porch. My only complaint would echo that of another reviewer who noted the short and early service times for breakfast- 8-9 am. When i'm on vacation its nice to have more of a brunch opportunity but that is a small complaint. The staff is so accomodating i am sure that you could get something for breakfast if you missed the time!

The spa was a boutique coed spa with a small pool and hot tubs, sauna and steam workout area and a variety of services. I had a great oxygen facial with Myra and "raindrop therapy" (an aromatherapy oil massage) with Heather. Both were excellent. I also had my hair cut and foil highlights done by Sue- and it might be the best highlight i've ever gotten! She is excellent! The relaxation room where you wait for your treatments is really lovely- it has a huge glass wall overlooking the mountains and valleys surrounding the property. I could have stayed there all day!

All of the girls on the trip are avid spa-goers and we all agreed that this is a place we'd like to come back to as soon as we can!

• Liked — great staff, charming accomodations
  • Disliked — breakfast only served 8-9 am
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank uvagrad
Durham
Reviewed 4 February 2008

My mother and I stayed there for five nights and loved it! The food and service are excellent. All the spa and wellness services were good, though the pedicure was not exceptional. I recommend it highly and can't wait to go back!

• Liked — spa services
  • Disliked — it was difficult to control the heat in our room; I understand this is being repaired now
  • Stayed January 2008
1 Thank biznesstravler
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 19 January 2008

My fiancee and I spent 3 days at Westglow and absolutely loved it. Wesglow Resort is the closest you can be to the charm of an European property without leaving the US. The mansion is beautiful, refined and well-kept. The rooms are decorated with charm and good taste and they look all different. Some rooms can be small (like # 16). Our absolutely favorites were #10/11 and 14. The staff is attentive, friendly and are really proud of the property. Monique, Krysta (receptionists), Tom (bell captain/butler) and Matthew (our fantastic waiter at breakfast) were just phenomenal. We had the best New Year's Eve dinner at the Rowland restaurant (inside the mansion). The refinement of the food and presentation reminded me of the grandeur of restaurants in Berlin or Paris. The Spa is very nice, with big windows from were you can see the Blue Ridge mountains. whiIe being at the jacuzzi or swiming in the heated pool. I was not very impressed by the treatment (I had a hot stone massage) but perhaps I just was not lucky that day... The only downside (at least for us) is the tight -and early - breakfast schedule.. From 8 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. only. Too early, specially when you have been up late celebrating the New Year!
Other than that, we loved it and will certainly go back.

• Liked — The European feeling at the Mansion and its tasteful decor
  • Disliked — The breakfast schedule, too short, too ealry
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 April 2005

My mom and I were looking for a quiet get-away where we could spend time together and RELAX. Neither of us had ever been to a spa before, but from the moment we stepped into Westglow we felt right at home. The staff was just fantastic! And the facilities were great, from the spa itself to the main house. We stayed in the main house mansion which is stunning in it's early 20th century decor. And the food was exquisite. Both mom and I felt completely rejuvenated after three nights at Westglow. Our only regret was not having an extra couple days there! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2005