“Fantastic - I'd highly recommend it”

Westglow Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Reviewed 5 October 2009

We recently had two nights at Westglow on our way down the Blude Ridge Parkway and I wish that we could have stayed longer. The main house was gorgeous with amazing views, the spa treatment was excellent and the food was first class being imaginative, healthy and delicious (which is often hard to find in America). Blowing Rock is a great location as well with lots of nearby hiking.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank melandr0b

Reviewed 25 July 2009

In the early to mid 2000's my mom and I stayed at Westglow for a 2 night leisure trip. On both trips we had a package that entitled each person to 3 spa treatments and meals. The first year everything was excellent, from the staff, to the treatments, to the meals. On the 2nd trip, meals were still great, treatments were not up to par. We had almost decided to book one more trip this summer or early fall and after reading reviews have decided the spa is not up to the standards of long ago. We will keep searching for other properties that have above standard reviews.

• Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank bolton1013
Westglow224, Manager at Westglow Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2009

In response to the posting “Unimproved over time” in which the writer cites negative reviews as her reason for not returning, we would like to point out that the majority of the reviews posted about our property on Trip Advisor, are positive, with seven reviewers rating us as Excellent. We acknowledge the importance of paying attention to customer reviews as a potential customer. We also pay very close attention to customer reviews as the management. It is necessary to take the good with the bad, and we do our best to learn from constructive criticism so that we may continue to improve and better care for our customers.

In the case of the writer of this review, we regret that we were not given the opportunity to change her mind. The date of this reviewer’s most recent visit is three years ago. August 2006 was a period of renovation and change, only a few months after we assumed ownership. Perhaps we did not have our best foot forward at that time, and for this we apologize and wish the writer had shared her feelings at the time so we could have had a chance to make things right.

Based on the vast majority of our customer feedback, we know that we have maintained the quality of years past, and that we have indeed improved upon what was already good. We respectfully disagree with the heading of this review, and are sorry that a couple of negative commentaries have discouraged this guest from wanting to return to Westglow. It is our hope that she will reconsider someday, and discover that Westglow is still the place it was during her first visit, and in fact, even better.

Reviewed 30 March 2009

My fiance and I had a chance to visit Westglow for a one night stay in late March as a personal celebration on completion of a personal achievement. It is the quintessential spa and wellness resort. It's nice to be able to stay at a resort where you have options to exercise and eat healthy along with receiving decadent massages. Our first afternoon it was incredibly foggy, which just added to the magical ambiance walking on the grounds of being lost in the clouds. The next day the sun came out and we were amazed by the views of the mountains. The masseuse was the best I'd ever had. The yoga class, while my first, was great as we had the personalized attention of our own instructor who was patient. The room was nice, very antique and you could tell that the house was nearly 100 years old. We had the restaurant to ourselves that night as business has been slow due to the economy. Our waiter, Johnny, hosted us and was particularly warm, friendly, and attentive. If given another chance we would definitely return.
Minor downsides: they have plenty of DVDs and portable DVDs to borrow, but the TV's in room are only ~15" screens. There weren't any other guests, but being a 100 yr old structure, sound did travel within the house.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dbrianf
Reviewed 27 November 2008

A never again experience with food who made us throw up, because of worst taste and quality and presentation! For the money asked you would expect different and 5 STAR! Had different friends as well there who said the same.
The grounds are one of the most spectacular ever and the Hotel itself makes you feel like you are in a European Mansion, but the rest is less then worth a penny!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank KingMarcus
Westglow224, Owner at Westglow Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2009

We would like to respond to the comment that dinner at our restaurant made this writer sick. We were informed the morning following this guests’ dinner that he had become ill. We were sympathetic to his trauma, and offered to compensate him appropriately. We researched the menu and determined that five other guests that evening ordered the same entrée and accompaniments. Our manager personally contacted each guest and determined that no other guests were ill after dining with us. After speaking with a medical professional, we were assured that this episode could only have been attributable to a virus or allergic reaction, neither of which we could have prevented. The writer was made aware of our findings and accepted them at that time.

Reviewed 18 November 2008

I just returned from a one night stay at Westglow Resort and Spa with 13 female friends (11/16 – 11/17). We had such a great time that we started talking about a return trip about 2 hrs. into our visit. Before we left, we set the ball in motion for a visit in 2009.

We are from the Charlotte area and get together each month to do something new. Earlier this year, someone mentioned Westglow and we decided to plan a trip there since we could drive there and back with no issues. As we investigated further, we found out that it is on Travel + Leisure's Top 10 list of destination spas in the world. We decided to go up on a Sunday night and come back on a Monday (lower rates Su-Th). The overnight package includes two spa treatments, lodging, all meals, taxes, fitness classes, and use of the spa. The only additional costs were gratuities (for your treatments and for dinner), any alcoholic beverages at dinner, or additional items purchased at the spa (glass of champagne, fresh juices, nuts, etc. – they have plenty of whole fruit, teas, etc. that are included in the rate).

With regard to lodging, the Westglow Mansion is fairly small (for a resort, not for a single family dwelling), so our group was able to reserve the whole thing. It ended up being the best slumber party ever. :) Because we had the run of the house, we were able to be a little more free/relaxed and did not have to worry about disturbing the other guests. Two members of our group were scheduled to stay in the Cedar Lodge, but the staff just ended up bringing rollaway beds to two of the larger rooms so that the two of them could stay in the Mansion with us.

Overall, the lodging was quite nice. I am not a fan of traditional décor/antiques, but they had a very nice balance of old and new. Everything looks exactly as it does in the photos. I was in 14A which had the rainshower, so I did not experience the tub/shower curtain issue mentioned in other reviews. And, I only showered in the room once because I opted to try a shower in the women’s locker room after hot yoga to take advantage of some of the scrubs and other products they had for use there.

As an aside, I would not suggest staying in the Cedar Lodge as it is not a comfortable distance/walk from the Spa (where you go for services and lunch) or the Mansion (where you are served breakfast and dinner). This is especially true in the winter when it is cold and gets dark early. You basically leave the property, drive down the street a bit, and turn off to get to the Cedar Lodge. A good part of the walk would be very steep, and I’m not sure how well lit that area is at night. Also, while the Lodge is fine, the Mansion is much nicer.

As for the services, pretty much every service was sampled by the group. Overall, everyone was pleased. Instead of two (~1hr.) services, I just got one, two hour one - "The Soul of the Rose". Two other friends got this one as well. While there was at least one discrepancy between the description and the service, it was still awesome. The description says “warm body wrap”, but you are basically just laying on the bed under a heated blanket and not actually getting a body wrap. But, even with this minor “issue” I was still on the verge of tears when it ended. Say it ain’t over! :)

As somewhat of a foodie, I will say that the food was also quite good. Lunch was from the “spa” menu and, though it was 4 courses, it was all under 600 calories. Everyone was a little sad about the portions (which are more “correct” than what we normally eat), but we all agreed that the food was actually tasty—especially to be so low in calories. Of course, we were all starving by dinner. Thankfully someone decided to pack tortilla chips and dip!

Because we had the house to ourselves and no one else had reservations for dinner (Rowland’s is open to the public), we were able to dress however we wanted for dinner. More importantly, we were able to eat early. :) They have spa options available for dinner, but no one was interested in going the healthy route. Between the 14 of us, we sampled pretty much everything on the menu. Almost everything was excellent. I agree that the prawns were heavily doused in butter, but it’s just one of those things you decide to indulge in for the night but don’t eat on a regular basis. Also, they do have a spa version of the prawns. I had the duck entrée (one of my favs) and it was nearly perfect. The duck was prepared very well, but while the menu stated it had a citrus glaze, it did not appear to have much of one. It would have benefited from some sort of reduction/sauce/etc. Still a good dish though. Several of us got the molten chocolate cake (dark or white) for dessert, but some of them were a little low on the “molten” part. Another dessert, the Apple Pistachio Crisp, wasn’t as huge of a crowd pleaser. However, all of the appetizers and entrées were enjoyed by the group.

Breakfast was good, though entirely too early/short (8am – 9am only). But, I guess it does force you to get up and on with your day. Again, the quality of the food was good, though some of the portions were small. However, you can help yourself to the buffet of muffins, fresh fruit, cereals, etc., so you shouldn’t leave hungry. They do not offer any non-pork breakfast meats (turkey or veggie), so that’s one small improvement that could be made.

Last, but definitely not least, I will say the service was superb across the board. There was really only one minor exception, but his service level was only worth remark because everyone else was so great. Anywhere else, he would have been fine. From the moment we got there, the entire staff bent over backwards to make sure everything was great. One person even requested hot chocolate for a nightcap and we were told they would have to check on this. Apparently they only had packages of instant cocoa, but offered to ask the chef to make some from scratch for us the next day. So, we enjoyed homemade hot chocolate for breakfast. This is just one small example of how the staff demonstrates their willingness to ensure that your stay is a great one.

I think that one of the greatest things was the fact that we had the house to ourselves and had a bit more flexibility. However, I could see this place being a viable option for a solo trip to clear your mind or for couples, mother/daughter pairs, etc.

Overall, we had a great time and Westglow is the perfect place for a short getaway, particularly if you live nearby. We were all looking forward to the trip, but trying not to set our expectations too high before we arrived. Our expectations were definitely met and exceeded. In my opinion, the only issue with the place is the cost. Personally, it is a bit too pricey to stay for more than one night -- for the cost of a two night stay I could take an even longer trip that would involve a plane ride and my passport (and maybe even a massage or two). However, we had a really fun time with the Sunday/Monday stay and will absolutely be back in 2009. If I’m lucky, I’ll find a reason to go back on my own before then!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank Goheels98
Reviewed 7 September 2008

We had high expectations given the price of the rooms here. The rooms were very small with queen beds, very small bathrooms also. Not at all what we expected.

The tub was tiny with a shower curtain that touched you as you showered. My husband and I wanted a romantic escape to the mountains. We had a couples massage at their spa which was nice. The spa has wonderful views of the mountains.

We had dinner at Rowland's which was average. My prawn appetizer was doused in so much butter it was hard to eat. Again, for the prices we expected better cuisine. Service was really bad too.

Next time we will stay at a nice bed & breakfast and use their spa facilities separately. Not worth the stay at all.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
8  Thank lovetravel38
Reviewed 30 June 2008

This spa is fantastic. It's a great getaway for couples. The services are excellent, the rooms beautifully decorated, spa food is fabulous. They serve wine, if you want it. No evening activities. It's beautifully decorated. It's formal in attire as far as spas go. Excellent customer service and staff. I thought it was a great value for what you received. Don't skip it if you like spas!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
The Village Inns of Blowing Rock: Village Inn
Courtyard Boone
Courtyard Boone
#6 of 18 in Boone

Been to Westglow Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!