“Dissapointed”

Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Blowing Rock
USA
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We just spent this past weekend (8/13-8/15) at Westglow and we were not very happy with my overall stay but I’ll try to be as objective as it gets. The area is nice and tranquil. The West glow manor and spa are very nice. We had dinner one night at their restaurant and food was great. Breakfast (included) in the mornings was above average. The spa amenities are fabulous. What we didn’t like:
1) arrived at 2:15 pm as recommended at their website and room wasn’t ready. It does happen. We were led to believe that they are working on it so we just relaxed till 3 pm when another person informed us that housekeeping just got to clean our room and it should be ready in 30-45 minutes. We ended up getting there at 4 pm.
2) The Cedar lodge is a driving distance from the manor/spa complex which is not very clearly explained on their website, so if you get a reservation at the cedar lodge, just know that you will have to get in your car to go to the spa or gym or breakfast. We didn’t know that.
3) Cedar lodge 3, which was our room, felt hot and changing the setting on the AC controls didn’t change anything. When we complained we were told that Cedar lodge 2 has the controls for our room (can you believe that?) and we were asked what temperature do you like and it was set, but once cedar lodge 2 visitors came, I guess they changed it and we spent the hottest night. We did have an ugly industrial strength stand-up fan in the room that we used that night (now we know why this ugly fan is here) the fan was very loud. We paid $370/night expecting the least of comfort which we were denied.
4) The second day we couldn’t get a reservation at their restaurant and the front desk recommended a restaurant in town and told us that she will make the reservation. We asked for wine and she told us to relax on the deck and she will get our wine. 45 minutes later she came to assure us that she hasn’t forgotten about our wine but she is “locating it” so we asked if we have a reservation and she said no, I haven’t gotten to that yet. I managed to review 10 restaurants on the iphone and call 3 of them and get a reservation, all in 5 minutes and we ended up going to the spa to get wine.
So if you are planning to visit here, I’d recommend staying at the Manor, not the lodge (if you don’t want to drive back and forth) and if you want to or had to stay at the lodge, avoid CL3 because of the AC problem. Also don’t expect much from front desk.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
14 Thank scubaguyUsa
Westglow224, General Manager at Westglow Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 16 September 2010
Dear Disappointed:

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Westglow. Naturally we are very sorry we failed to meet your expectations, which were well within reason. Despite your experience, we have the highest level of service and accomodations, and continue to strive for better. Please allow me to response to your individual comments:

1. We make every effort to accomodate our guests requests for early check-in. On the particular day of your arrival, the previous guests left later than expected. We cannot compromise on the time required to achieve the level of cleanliness of our guest rooms upon check-in, and unfortunately we were not able to meet your request to check-in early. Our guest services staff failed to properly inform you, and we regret the miscommunication.
2. Our Cedar Lodge is located across the street from our main property. Many of our guests seek the seclusion and privacy this location affords. The Cedar Lodge location is detailed in our accomodation information and on our website. We regret the proximity to the main property was not fully explained when you made your reservation.
3. You are correct regarding the air conditioning problem with your room. The summer of 2010 was a particularly warm summer in our area; typically air conditioning is not required because the days and evenings are so temperate. However, this problem developed just before your arrival and we immediately ordered a replacement system, but due to scheduling conflicts with the installer, they were unable to install the new system until after your departure. We truly regret this happened, but please know the air conditioning is fully operational, and that each suite in the Cedar Lodge has its own separate system.

Again, we do regret these events occured during your stay. We hope that you will come back to Westglow again. Please know that I will personally insure your visit will be peaceful, restful, and without issue.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Durham,NC
Reviewed 4 August 2010

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our day at the Westglow day spa. The massage, given by Sara, was thorough and soothing. The employees go out of their way to accomodate every need and create a luxurious environment without being stuffy. Small touches are ensured, such as cold cucumbers and cold washcloths for your eyes, hot fresh ginger tea, and refreshing drinks. Our lunch was also delicious and light.
The views from the relaxation room and decks are truly spectacular. I brought a book and read out on the deck in pure bliss. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 July 2010

If you are looking for an intimate, quiet, relaxing location with beautiful scenery , you will love this resort. Located just a few miles from main street Blowing Rock, the Westglow Resort & Spa has 6 beautiful rooms in the mansion, and also a cottage. Each room has a unique decor, several with lovely views. I especially appreciate how clean the rooms are! I was on a 3 night package, which included a spa treatment each day and all meals. First, I highly recommend my massage therapists (Brian) deep tissue and (Regina) hot stone, as well as Myra for facials. I thoroughly enjoyed all treatments! I also enjoy taking the fitness classes in the AM, Regina also teaches cycle, aquacise and stretch/tone/balance classes which are a great way to begin the day! The spa is very well kept, with great attention paid to everything being 100% at all time. I spent most of the day at the Enrichment Center, whether enjoying a treatment, working out (I had a fabulous personal training session w/ Sandy-a PT from Florida in-house for the summer.)or, just lying around the verandas gazing at the mountains and catching up on reading. In the afternoons, I walked around the property and also took advantage of the tennis lessons on Tu/Thur--I have never played tennis and the instructor was patient with me---I had a blast----there were others playing, and they happily included me as well. The meals were quite good---you can eat in the dining room or order room service.
I ate breakfast in the dining room, the chef was happy to make a custom omelette for me on two occasions. Lunch is served poolside at the enrichment center and they are healthy, yet tasteful! Evening meals are served in the more formal Rowlands, these meals are absolutely delectable----and superb service!
The entire staff at Westglow, from housekeeping team, reception, spa, dining, ---everyone goes over and above to accommodate the guests! I truly felt pampered and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank LLawler
Deerfield Beach, Florida
Reviewed 2 June 2010

As soon as I walk into Westglow Resort & Spa I feel as if I’ve entered a magical world. The warm welcome I receive from the staff makes me feel like a family member who at long last has returned home. I just completed my 6th visit to Westglow and, as usual, I did not want to leave. Whether I’m immersing myself in the splendor of the Blue Ridge Parlor reading a book, or indulging in scrumptious cuisine at Rowland’s (restaurant), or soaking up the majestic mountain vistas from the relaxation room at the spa, I savor every moment at Westglow.
On my most recent visit to Westglow I spent a full day at the spa, pampering myself with a cellex C facial, a hot stone massage and foot reflexology. (My husband indulges in facials, massages and foot reflexology as well.) Each and every spa service I’ve received at Westglow has been superb. In between spa services I enjoyed a healthy and delicious spa lunch, and then I meditated in the relaxation room (and fell asleep). The spa facilities, from the pool to the locker room to the showers, are convenient and first rate. I can only imagine that a day at Westglow Spa is like a day in heaven.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 May 2010

I have wanted to stay at Westglow for a couple of years and finally booked myself a weekend stay. My expectations were high and they were exceeded in every instance. The room was beautiful...bed was fantastic. The staff was extremely friendly and accomodating. The food was wonderful. I had three spa treatments and they were all superb. I needed a weekend of complete serenity and relaxation and the Westglow more than delivered. I would highly recommend the Westglow to anyone looking for a spa getaway. I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Reviewed 29 April 2010

My husband surprised me with a stay at Westglow! It was such a treat . The rooms were fabulous with incredible linens, and beautifully decorated. The restaurant was fabulous, with specials that were amazing and prepared wonderfully! But the best part of the entire stay was how lovely the staff was. There was not one thing that was overlooked and we were treated like family! We WILL be going back and hopefully very soon!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
West Palm Beach
Reviewed 8 March 2010

I have now been a guest at the Westglow during all four seasons. Each stay offered an entirely new visual feast. I have stayed at the Cedar Lodge across the street and in the main Manor. Both are exquisitely and lovingly restored and comfortable.
Rowlands Restaurant had a wonderful array of food choices. The presentation was as beautiful as it was delicious. The spa services are top notch and not overpriced. I found it quite relaxing to spend the day there not only taking advantage of the spa services, but meditating in the oppulent relaxation room. It offered tranquility and spectacular views.
The employees are friendly and professional. They left me with the impression that they truly enjoy working there and appreciate their employers. I can't wait for the snow to melt for my next visit.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends