“North Carolina Mountain Retreat”

Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Visiting Chetola Resort in the mountains of Blowing Rock, North Carolina, in mid summer, is a "cool" blessing to escape from the Florida heat. This is a beautiful 5 Star Resort with very pleasant accomodations sitting on the edge of a quaint little town. The peaceful surroundings with a pretty lake and white swans makes for an inviting entrance. The perfect weather averaging 65-80 degrees in July could not be any more perfect. Lots of things to do here for the active visitors, along with peace, quiet and laid back lifestyle for those inclined. This is a great retreat to get away from it all.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is one of our favorite destinations in Blowing Rock! My husband and I love the Bob Timberlake Inn (which is a part of this property) and our entire family enjoys one of the condos on a yearly basis. There is so much to enjoy here - a great spa, indoor pool with ping pong for the kids, wonderful walking trails, paddle boats, lakes for fishing, and a nice restaurant. There is also the Tanger Outlets adjacent to this property, and Tweetsie Railroad is nearby. The property is large and can be explored for days. The hotel is nice but if you are looking for a great space for your family try one of the condos. They are well-appointed!

Room Tip: Talk to the front desk about the best condo choices for your family!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We made a reservation almost a year in advance for our son's graduation. We wanted a room facing the lake on the top floor. We were extremely happy with our room. The view from our balcony was made even better due to a wedding held lakeside.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jayne P
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I can't say enough about this place. The grounds are beautiful. Checkin was easy and the staff is very courteous and helpful. We stayed in the Condo Section (Boxwood 4) and it was very roomy and clean. The beds were comfortable and the entire layout of the condo was wonderful. Beautiful place. We did take the kids to the pool and was able to get some rest time while they played. Staff there was also very accommodating. Would recommend to anyone in the area.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Outstanding staff & owners !!! Food was wonderful & bar setting was very nice.My wife & I made friends with many guests & staff. Can't wait to return in the fall. On the front desk was a fine young man named Jacob & he set the stage for a wonderful week!!! The Tarbutton family have out done themselves.Thanks for a great week ,blessings to all Nancy & Bob Hammes

Room Tip: Bob Timberlake is outstanding--rooms #'s 3 & 8 the best!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My husband and I planned a nice long weekend here for a baby moon. When we called months ahead of time to make our reservation, we chose the date based on when they had a room on the top floor with a king sized bed available. However, when we arrived we we're put on the first floor with 2 queen beds. When we communicated the issue to the front desk we were told that it had been noted what our preference was, but they had no way of accommodating this either when they made the promise or upon our arrival. The manager informed us that whoever helped us book should not have made that promise, but they had no intention of doing anything to make up for it.

Fastforward to the next morning, we head over to breakfast around 9:15 (breakfast goes until 10:30). There's a long line and a wait for a table for a buffet breakfast. Turns out they closed part of the dining room for an upcoming party so anyone who showed up for breakfast after 9am on a Saturday had to wait. The wait wasn't horribly long, but as a hungry pregnant person staring at the buffet right in front ofus, I was definitely annoyed.

During our stay I visited the spa for a massage and facial. It was perfectly fine, though nothing special. My massage therapist was lovely, but I can't say it was the most relaxing experience as it felt quite rushed.

Despite the sinkhole and pending construction immediately in front of our first floor room, the grounds are quite beautiful. Also, the hotel is in a great location in that it's near many of the things you'll likely do in Blowing Rock, but somewhat removed and quiet.

The last night of our stay, we had dinner on site at the Timberlake restaurant. We were seated quickly but had to wait a while for our server. When she did come, she was utterly clueless. I order the Ahi tuna. After the walked away, I realized I hadn't specified how I wanted the tuna cooked. When she walked by again I asked for it to be done medium rare. She looked puzzled, but nodded. She came right back and said that because it's an "Ahi cut" of fish it is only prepared rare. I was surprised to have to explain this to the server, but ok. I'd also had to explain what a vinaigrette was earlier when ordering my salad so I wasn't surprised at this point, when the food came out, my tuna was rare and my husband's food wasn't all that great either. Rather than argue we just quickly ate and left.

We aren't the people who need our room cleaned every day, but on day 3 of our stay I asked for service to have our beds made and fresh towels. We were leaving the room around 9:30am and asked that our room be serviced before we returned for my massage at 3. Naturally when we returned nothing had been done. When my husband went to the front desk to asked that the room be serviced during the 2hrs I was at the spa, they seemed very put out as the cleaning team had already finished with our hallway. Husband ended up going and finding a housekeeping person on a different floor to make the request directly. Luckily, she was willing to accommodate.

Overall, the resort looks nice but the service is poor and the stay isn't worth the price. We really enjoyed Blowing Rock and plan to return but definitely won't be staying at Chetola.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Laura G
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed in the Chetola lodge during a recent vacation to the mountains. Our room was a bit dated. In fact I had allergy problems with the carpeting and old dried floral arrangements in the room. We found the bed also to be less firm than most others that we have slept in at other hotels. Also the first bath towel we used had a hole in it. The counter top by the sink seemed updated as well as the common rest rooms by the entrance. Also, the room had a heat pump system so the A/C is very loud when it kicks on.

Regarding the food, our deal came with a breakfast buffet. We had it on the first day and did not bother to go back on the second day. Most of the hot food was warm and the one person on the omelet station was backed up as he had to take orders, make the food and then deliver it. We had one omelet and it was swimming in oil or butter. It ended up sitting on the plate after we waited over ten minutes for it.

The setting is beautiful right on a lake with a great view of the surrounding mountains. The location worked out well for us too as it was near the town, close to many restaurants as well as some scenic hikes.

Make sure you understand what you are getting before you pick a place to stay. Perhaps we may have been better off in one of the updated condos. However, we were led to believe that this place was a bit different than what it actually turned out to be for us. Therefore we likely wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Find one that was updated
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple