“Great local Mexican restaurant”
Review of Mi Carreta Mexican Grille - CLOSED

Mi Carreta Mexican Grille
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish, Southwestern
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lexington, South Carolina, United States
“Great local Mexican restaurant”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We visited Mi Carreta this past weekend & it was great! The food & portions are really good. The prices were a bit high, but being located at a tourist destination that's to be expected. The salsa was sweeter than we are used to & they also had another dip they brought out with the salsa & chips. It was kind of a sweet ranch. The salsa & ranch were great together. My husband ordered a burrito & it was huge! I ordered the shrimp soft tacos (just shrimp in the taco) & it came with two types of salsa, fresh cilantro & fresh chopped onion to add to the tacos. They were delicious! My son got a cheese quesadilla with rice & enjoyed it. Overall, very yummy! Great service too!

• Visited October 2013

Apex, North Carolina
“Good food - Good service - clean”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

the staff was really pleasant, the food was very good as well as the margarita .. Small restaurant but good location in Blowing Rock.. Prices was very affordable as well

Hillsborough, New Jersey, USA
“Mexican in Blowing Rock”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Had dinner here on an overnight stay in the area. My husband had the carnitas and the meat was tender, but he felt the sauce was a little too "tomato-y". I had the chicken and beef taquitos which i though were pretty good. We also had rice and refried beans which were average. It was not the best mexican i have ever had, but we had a craving for mexican food and it satisfied our need. The server we had did not seem to speak english too well, I asked for a vodka tonic and he sent the host to our table to translate what drink i wanted and then when i got the drink it was vodka on the rocks.

Raleigh NC
“Not what cracked up to be...”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Sorry, folks, but this ain't no Tex-Mex. Believe me, I know good T-M and this falls squarely in the category of Jaliscan style Mexican food. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but the blandness of the cooking from the Guadalajara is very distinct. While this food must be fresh to succeed, my SO and I don't find it nearly as tasty as good Tex-Mex. As much as I'd like to upgrade these guys, our visit there found them overwhelmed with the crowd and generally seemingly displeased at our presence. The one bartender was busy serving tables outside the bar, so even beating a wait time with bar stools didn't really help. Chips were stale and soggy (truly, one was clearly half done at best), salsa was so-so and both our meals were average to below-average overall. I had the Arroz con Pollo, which was the better of the two, but was supposed to be bathed in mole sauce - and wasn't. I added a little of the very runny cheese dip to give the dish some added tang...SO had a combo platter which generally disappointed. I will say my cold mug of Dos Equis was excellent! So maybe go there to drink and watch Mexican soccer league but otherwise, if there's a Taco Bell type place nearby go there for the food.

Boone, North Carolina
“Great Mexican Food in the High Country”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

If you are in the High Country and you are achin' for some Mexigrub, then don't go to Boone, head out to Mi Carreta in Blowing Rock.

The quality of the food has always been top notch for me, from the variety of salsa's to the table made Quac. One of my favorite side dishes to order is the Salsa Verde, which is thick, spicy and delicious. The prices overall are decent, especially if you go at lunch. They usually have one of their more expensive dishes as a special (like the Volcanito), and I have never left the restaurant hungry.

My only real gripe is that the wait staff can sometimes be hit or miss. At times they are super attentive, fun and on the spot. Others...well, not so much. The food though, is great every time.

• Visited October 2013