“Good place”
Review of The Green Park Inn

The Green Park Inn
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Reviewed 1 October 2012

Old stylish hotel but with no patina. Our room was large overlooking the golf course. Bathroom was good. Room was clean. Service was very good and price was reasonable. Restaurant was excellant. Given the fact that staying at a place in the Blowing Rock/Boone area, which would have been materially nicer, would have been much more expensive this was a good choice.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
GPIOwners, General Manager at The Green Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2012

We're very happy that you enjoyed everything about your stay. Please feel free to contact our front desk if you have suggestions regarding "patina", as we're not quite sure what you are referring to. Thank you for choosing the Green Park!

Reviewed 26 September 2012

This is a beautiful, lovely old victorian hotel. HOWEVER, make sure you do not get rooms near the bar. Because this is an old hotel, the walls are paper thin. I was down the hall (about 4 doors) from the bar and they had a band and they also have a juke box. When they were on (and they were on until 2am) you could hear them clearly EVEN WITH EAR PLUGS ON. This is the only reason I rated this the way I did because I got no sleep. I was with a large group and those who were upstairs or at the other end, slept very well. The rooms are excellent and just beautiful but not sleeping was a drag.
If it hadn't been for that I would have rated this place a 5.

Room Tip: See above. Ask for a room as far away from the bar as possible.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Erin W

We really appreciate that you would have rated us a 5, but for the loud and late music. However, we have never had a band playing in the Tavern (it's not large enough for that), and we have never had a jukebox in the bar, or anywhere in the hotel. Never, ever. We see that the date of your stay was October 2011? Given that that was quite some time ago, is it possible that you are thinking of another establishment? We are sorry that you had no sleep, wherever you stayed. But, again, we have never had bands or jukeboxes and our bar has rarely, if ever, been open until 2am. The Tavern is generally closed by 12-12:30am, at the latest.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

My husband & I went to Blowing Rock for a quick getaway in Spring of 2010. On our way home we saw they were working on the Green Park Inn so my husband pulled in. He stated as a child going to the mountains with his family he had always wanted to stop @ the Inn with the "green horse" outside. There was a sign on the door stating they would be opening later that year. So when it came time for another getaway he wanted to stay there. When we got there we had no problems getting a reservation. As we later found out we were the only couple staying there that night. They had only been opened for a month or so. It was great. We wondered around all weekend peaking in @ all the different rooms under renovation. It is old but everything in it is new. The rooms are large & have all new furnitue. The linens are top quality & the staff always great. We love the fact they "buy made in America". The second night we met a man in the bar who stated he was a "Paranormal Research Investagator" & he told us stories of when he had stayed there years before & some history. I was intrigued. Since that lovely weekend we have stayed @ least 4-5 more times.We love the history, the staff, the decore & all it has to offer. Our eight year old twin grandsons had heard us talk about it so much they had wished they could go there. So Janurary 2012 we took them with us. It was "Winter Feast" weekend. There was lots to do in Blowing Rock. We went to the Polar Plunge .They loved riding the old trolly from the Inn into town. The Inn was hosting a wine tasting & had a very large ice sculptured bar outside that the boys thought was great. As always, we had a great made to order breakfast in the diningroom. At night the boys went with us into the Tavern, where they enjoyed coke & pizza. Every thing I have eaten there prepared by Chef Welch has been delicious. Later that night the boys & I were sitting in the lobby listening to Charlie Ellis who plays the pIiano. The boys were playing on my computer while sitting there & Mr. Irace one of the owners came over to speak to them & make sure they had the Internet code, that is just how friendly everyone is @ the Green Park Inn. In fact on our second visit we were going down the hallway to our room when Lauren who had been working the front desk on our first visit & was now in house keeping stopped us to say welcome back as she had remembered us from 6 months earlier. On our last visit in August 2012 we did not make reservations & we were very suprised when we were told they had no rooms. I said that is good for you but bad for me, but Lorry the manager heard me & came out to the desk. She looked to see if they had anything @ all to offer. She finally said she did have one room but the air conditioner was not working in the room, but we could open the windows. We decided to check it out. It was a corner room with two windows & of course a ceiling fan. She had offered to also get a box fan if we wanted to stay. We told her when we left home it was 95 degrees & when we pulled up there the temp was 83 degrees so we decided to take the room. It was another great weekend even with no air. The room was pleasant with the windows open & cross ventalitation. In fact I pulled the blanket up on the second night. They just go out of their way for you. My grandsons recently ask when we can go again, they said remember eating in the "that good breakfast in the fancy diningroom". I did not have the heart to tell them my husband & I are going back next week without them. But I know we will be taking them again. V. Hatley Albemarle, NC

3  Thank Vickie H
GPIOwners, General Manager at The Green Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Thanks so much for all of your kind words, and especially for recognizing our staff. Everyone here on staff truly love the hotel and feel very, very vested and committed to ensuring that each of our guests has a great experience during their stay. And, while we'll look forward to welcoming your grandsons back, again soon, as well, we'll look forward to welcoming you and your husband back again, even soon! Thanks so much for choosing the Green Park!

Reviewed 13 September 2012

My husband and I had planned a trip to Boone, NC for some time and had the trip pretty much planned and then I read about the Green Park Inn in Blowing Rock in the Fredericksburg, VA Free Lance-Star. We immediately changed our plans, I called the inn, received good guidance in deciding on a room that would be comfortable for my husband who has MS. Our room was large, comfortable, and clean with a great bed. A grab bar in the tub added to safety, towels were good and bath items quite nice. There was a balcony which would have been better without the traffic noise. The entry to the inn is attractive and the lobby lovely with furnishings made in NC. Loved the old photos displayed near the bar. Breakfast choices were good and well prepared. Dinner in the dining room was nicely done (the chef has a kitchen garden out back). We were particularly impressed with the staff in the bar and dining areas. So friendly and helpful. Checking in and out was smooth. This is an elderly facility and lots has been done to spruce it up but it continues to be a work in progress. Grateful we decided on Blowing Rock, which is next to the NC Blue Ridge Prkwy. The town is fun with the most glorious plantings of flowers and baskets everywhere. These people take pride in their hometown. Try the Village Cafe for breakfast or lunch and Kilwins for ice cream and/or fudge. Lots of cute shops. We would definitely return to the Green Park and Blowing Rock.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the older section.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ruth B

Thanks so much for choosing the Green Park, and we're so happy that you enjoyed our hotel and our lovely town. Thanks especially for acknowledging our terrific staff. They all take a lot of pride in their work, and in providing an exceptional level of customer service. We'll look forward to welcoming you back again!

Reviewed 11 September 2012

I decided to surprise my wife by returning to this gem of a hotel where we spent part of our honeymoon 27 years ago. The Inn is older than my grandparents and has been wonderfully restored into a comfortable mountain retreat. Located in the mountains of western North Carolina, in an area frequented by those wanting to get away from the rush of life, this Inn has and is being lovingly restored. The rooms are fresh, clean and inviting. The staff is quite knowledgeable and friendly. The meals included a Squash Blossom appetizer, Adobo Seared Salmon, and Goat Cheese and Pecan Crusted Rack of Lamb. All of which were delicious. The staff is helpful and friendly. Yes, there is road construction close by, but this particular weekend, was not an issue. Our stay was refreshing and the Inn is a great value. Hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms have a balcony. Ours overlooked the Country Club golf course. The rocking chairs w...
2  Thank James G

We're so happy that we were able to help you celebrate such a wonderful occasion, and one that would bring back great memories. We're also glad that you dined with us, and enjoyed Chef James' extraordinarily creative cuisine, especially the squash blossom, which was from our very own garden. We'll look forward to welcoming you back again!.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

My wife and I have always been interesting in this big Rambling old Victorian Hotel each time we pass through Blowing rock. This past weekend we finally decided to stop. We stopped and asked for the cheapest rate which was around $145. Thinking that this was a bit steep, we went around and tried several of the old motel style places around town. To our suprise...The Green Park Inn had them all beat by about 20$. We were excited because we would much prefer staying in a grand old hotel from the 1880's instead of a gross old motel from the 1960's.
The staff was very kind and helpful. We enjoyed the period details such as the wood floor which you can feel under the carpeting in the hall as well as the wonderful pianist playing in the lobby. Our room although being the cheapest in the place, was very spacious. Also, no spooky feelings, or spectral visits to report of. Just a pleasant stay.

4  Thank Dum-Spiro-Spero-843
GPIOwners, General Manager at The Green Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

Thanks so much for your kind review of your stay with us. "While I breathe, I hope," that many others will follow your advice and choose to have an enjoyable stay at the Green Park Inn, and to help us to preserve this important piece of American History.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Let me first say that I read all of the Trip Advisor reviews - bad and good - and I really wanted to have an incredible stay at the Green Park Inn. Unfortunately as consumers we've all been trained to expect certain things from a restored property and the Green Park unfortunately does not deliver. Yes, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was good but it's all in the stupid details - that's what makes or breaks a good hotel.

First, the bar had no cherries for a Manhatten. Yes stupid but I wanted one - The bartender told me they had thrown them out the day before so I asked why he didn't get some. He replied that he just "worked there."

Secondly, no directory of television stations in the room. An easy detail but not attended to.

Thirdly, an ac unit in the window made it impossible to open the window get fresh mountain air... yet the lack of a shade meant that the room curtains fell in front of the ac unit. It was a choice of a hot room or a room with the shades wide open.

There were two different types of enerygy saving bulbs in the lamps flanking the bed. One was a "warm" bulb (quite nice) and the other a "cool" bulb (dreadful)... again, the details.

And lastly, the new "antique" wall sconce in the bathroom was so dim that you couldn't possibly see yourself to shave.

Details, details, details. It's all in the details. The hotel needs to carefully evaluate each room.

1  Thank ViaDent
GPIOwners, Owner at The Green Park Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

We totally agree that details are important. And, most of your comments reflect our strong attention to such important details as the comfortable beds, the excellent complimentary breakfast, good value, location, sleep quality, impeccable cleanliness, all rated good by this reviewer; as well as complimentary WIFI, HDTVs, all new furniture and quality linens, and many other detail items. You then move on to other details of concern. Our hotel is one of a relative few in NC that is a certified by the State as a Green Travel Destination. However, we chose not to use the cool white CFL bulbs. One of the test bulbs apparently ended up in your room and we apologize for that. Due to our National Historic Register status, we face certain design preservation constraints that present a problem with replacing ACs in the five rooms that have window units. These are our most basic of rooms. Perhaps you didn't notice the clasp placed on the drapes in those rooms, so that the drapes may be held closed over the AC unit when it's on. Had you made us aware of this matter during your stay we would have been happy to have adjusted it for you. We apologize for any inconvenience this caused.

As for the lack of cherries for your Manhattan, and the young man who “only works here”? Well, he doesn’t anymore. The cherries were in the cooler not feet away from him. We will never tolerate such poor job performance. Too many other fine employees have worked too hard to ensure that our guests have the most enjoyable experience possible, to permit this to happen. Thank you for your comments. Please remember that your comments here can have real consequences in the lives of real people.