“Pretty hotel with a few challenges” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Green Park Inn
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Portland, Oregon
“Pretty hotel with a few challenges”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed two nights at the Green Park Inn. The front desk staff was helpful, friendly, and kind. The massages we booked were good. We cannot really recommend the restaurants, though the bartender in the "Tavern" does at least mix a nice drink. The room was nice enough, but there was nowhere to set anything in the bathroom. The heat in the room was intense & we could not figure any way to cool it off, not even by opening a window! The old elevator is quirky & a bit frustrating--we ultimately decided taking the stairs was generally the better option.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DrJ00001
GPIOwners, Front Office Manager at The Green Park Inn, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you for telling us about your visit! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. There are definitely some quirky things about the hotel, including the elevator that won't move if the button is pressed too soon after stopping. I am sorry to hear you had so much trouble with it. Our staff is usually pretty aware when people are having trouble with the elevator and try to jump in and help. I'm sorry this wasn't the case for you! As for the heating in your room, I apologize that it was too warm. Our hotel actually has several different types of heating, and it all depends on which room you are in. A majority of our rooms have units for guests to control their own room's temperature, but it sounds like you had one of the ones that don't have a unit. There are ways to control the heat output in those rooms, and we would have gladly sent someone up to help you adjust it if you had trouble. Thank you for commending our bartender on mixing nice drinks, and for complimenting our front desk staff. As always, we try to make our guests feel welcome and comfortable. We'd love to have you back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

we stayed here for 2 nights, smaller room than we anticipated, but when we made the reservation we were told that they were pretty booked. This was our trip for September 21st weekend as we were celebrating Bills birthday. If one has stayed in a historical hotel like
Raffles in Singapore you would know what to expect from Historical places. This hotel is much above Raffles, but we enjoyed all the renos and mixes of old and new. Customer Service was excellent. Room was clean and appropriate as a hotel room. Dinner was superb and we frequent the restaurant even now, though we may not stay at the hotel as we have a condo in Sugar Mountain to stay. It is a pity that some people are comparing new with old. This is a historical place so we should leave it at that. Breakfast was complimentary and was really good and ASU students are doing a great job filling in though they may not be
pursuing in hospitality industry. Overall we have only good things to say.

Room Tip: Did not know that this was on the haunted list....but we did not experience anything. our room was f...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GPIOwners, Front Office Manager at The Green Park Inn, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us to celebrate your husband's birthday. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our restoration efforts and the mix of the old with the new. We strive to make improvements that both keep with the historic nature of the building, and maximize guest comfort. Thank you for complimenting the service and restaurant. We'll see you the next time you stop by for dinner!
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

On a recent trip up to Beech Mtn. we encountered terrible FOG conditions before entering Blowing rock, where you could not see in front of you. Luckily I saw the lights for Green Park INN.
Immediately turning into what I thought was the right entrance (which was wrong way) I parked the car and ran in to see if there were any rooms available. there was (I would have paid much more than what they were), and was told that the fog would get even worse before entering Blowing Rock itself. My friend and I unpacked our luggage and headed to the bar, which turned out to be a wonderful experience. The bartender absolutely wonderful, and does make the best martini I have ever had (and needed). We then met alot of the locals who came in from outside (where they have a gathering of locals on a Thursday evening) to get their drinks and how wonderful and nice they were to us, as well as other guests who had stopped in to get a room and out of the foggy conditions. There were a couple of items in our room that needed some attention, but all in all, it was a very nice evening stay and all the staff were very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: try and get one close to elevator or else you will have a ways to walk
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank vicki c
GPIOwners, Front Office Manager at The Green Park Inn, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
I'm glad we were able to be a nice suprise as you stopped to get out of the fog. Thank you for stopping in the bar, and making connections with your fellow guests and the locals. We love the atmosphere created by our friendly guests. Next time, you can plan to come back intentionally. We'd love to have you!
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and I recently stayed here for a one night getaway and we LOVED the hotel. The hotel staff was very courteous and went out of their way to make our stay memorable. We booked the Couples Package which included one nights stay, a couples massage and drinks in the room. The massage was wonderful and we highly recommend it. The hotel lobby has a wonderful ambiance in the evening with a piano player, fires in the fireplaces and the bar downstairs. The only thing that wasn't outstanding was the hotel restaurant, The Chestnut Grill. While the food was good, it wasn't as good as the prices might suggest, and the service was a little slow. Overall, it was a wonderful stay and we cant wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anne O
Thank you for reviewing! I'm glad you enjoyed your couple's package. We are so lucky to have such great massage therapists to work with. I'm sorry that the Chestnut Grille wasn't what you were expecting, and service was slower than what you would have liked. THank you for giving us a great overall rating for the rest of your experience!
illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

This hotel has recently been restored. I booked the historic hotel because it was just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. My husband was a little concerned at first because the hotel is old but grand! The temperature was only 36 degrees outside and our room had no heat when we arrived. It is steam heat so takes a while to heat the room. Fortunately, they provide plush, warm bathrobes and extra comforters for the beds. We hopped in the beds to warm up. Eventually, the room was nice and warm. The rooms are much larger than most hotel rooms of today. The bathroom wasn't modern but very nice and very well lit. They provide turndown service if you want it. We had already jumped into the beds so no need. A wonderful breakfast is provided each morning with a wide choice from a menu. It was delicious. The people are very warm and friendly. A great place to stay! Incidently, it is on the Eastern Continental Divide and across the road is the entrance to the Blowing Rock!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ilwag
GPIOwners, Front Office Manager at The Green Park Inn, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. I'm glad you decided to give us a chance, and ended up enjoying your room and breakfast. The hotel actually has several different types of heating sources depending on what room you are in. Sometimes, the steam rooms end up being some of the warmest ones! I hope you were able to take advantage of being so close to the Blowing Rock, by going and seeing the place that the town was named after. We'd love to see you again!
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

My new husband and I decided to go to Blowing Rock the weekend after our wedding. With a larger honeymoon planned for later in the year, we were just looking for a little quiet relaxation among the beautiful scenery of the Blue Ridge Mountains and we certainly found it at the Green Park Inn.
Yes, the hotel is in a period of renovation and that means some inconsistencies in aesthetics here and there but as a whole the history, the ambiance, the service, etc was a perfect place to stay for a great weekend.
And Betsy, the bartender at the hotel bar, makes some of the best drinks I have ever had in my life.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank StephanieWB1
Thank you for reviewing. We are glad you found exactly what you were looking for in the Green Park Inn. We'll be continuing the updating and restoring for quite awhile, to keep improving the aesthetics. I hope you enjoy your honeymoon. Congratulations!
SC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

My husband and I just returned from a one night stay at the Green Park Inn. We were greeted by Brie at the reception area. She is a delightful, intelligent, articulate woman who was very helpful informing us as to the insights of the hotel. We were so happy that we found this establishment to be pet friendly, as we often travel with our Yorkie. We loved the character and charm of this property as it reminded us of similar resorts such as the Sagamore in Lake George(Bolton Landing) NY and the Gideon Putnam in Saratoga Springs.

We stayed in a room with a king sized bed and balcony overlooking the golf course. The room and hotel were immaculate, which is my number one priority. On a personal note the hotel robes are awesome!!! (And I am so picky that I never usually even try them).

The new owners have clearly dedicated a great deal of effort to restore the establishment to an era which some people may not appreciate. I for one found opening a door with a "real key" to be a fond memory. I loved the transoms over doors and windows. The open front porch, lobby area, detailed library, wainscoting and moldings brought back memories of visiting historical sights in so many of the states we have visited. We also enjoyed the views of the golf course from the balconey of our room.

We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and made reservations at the Chestnut Grille. We were disappointed that they did not serve one of their signature dishes ( the chocolate expresso filet) on that evening. We were told that they had many patrons order it two days prior to our visit and that they were unable to offer it in that evening. When we inquired about the chef's specials for the evening they indicated that on Sundays they serve a more home style menu, which is truly appreciated, but I just wish I knew that ahead of time so that we might have dined elsewhere.

I will not go into the details of the food as I am sure they were trying to do the best they could, but it was not one of my favorite experiences. The servers were great and worked hard to make the dining experience wonderful. We also enjoyed the live music that was provided. They made the evening a pleasant event.

I will recommend the inn to my friends in the future and I hope that it will continue to thrive.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Champagneheaven
Happy Anniversary! Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and were able to take in your historic surroundings. Thank you for complimenting our robes! We just started putting them in the rooms recently, and they have been a big hit. I apologize that your dining experience wasn't what you were expecting. For future reference, we are happy to take dinner entree requests when you make your dinner reservation, to make sure you have your favorite dish on the night you are dining. We'd love to have you back the next time you are in the area. Don't forget to request the chocolate steak!