“Great for beginners, the non - expert”

Appalachian Ski Mountain
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Took our kids there for their first time ever skiing - ages 12 and 10. It was also our first time in 14 years. The mountain is small and easy to navigate. We were there on Dec 26th, supposedly the busiest day of the year. It was mainly empty. There was never a lift line - and only on the beginners conveyor belt was there every a wait - and then maybe 10 minutes max. There are no experts here - just beginners. The longest run is maybe a 5 minute lift - and 30 second ride. There are a lot of 3 to 8 year olds, some excellent skiiers - gong on the black diamonds. Our son was skiing their "advanced" runs by his second day. It's a lot of skiing - short runs, but frequent with the short lift lines. Boone is very close - our Fairfield Marriott was a 12 minute, 6 mile drive. The only downside is - people are falling everywhere (lots of beginners) and the ski school was horrible. We had both a group and private lesson for our daughter - and both were lame. But she learned on her own. Unfortunately, they don't teach you to ski...so the time is wasted. Overall, glad we sent.

All reviews
"lift tickets"
in 10 reviews
"small resort"
in 7 reviews
"great place for beginners"
in 8 reviews
in 7 reviews
"great for families"
"young kids"

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I am so grateful that I decided to go to Appalachian to learn how to ski. I had a fabulous trip. Everything went smoothly - from my drive to the resort (great signage) to the helpful staff who guided me once I arrived (I rented everything and stayed toasty warm and DRY). I am also grateful I arrived early on a Monday morning, without the crowds (told they usually have 500-700 people on a weekend).

The best part of my trip was the French Swiss Ski College. Although I paid for 3 group lessons (which was recommended and exactly what I needed), the second and third sessions were just me and the same instructor, so I had "private lessons" without the additional cost. And I felt so comfortable that I fell in love with the sport (first time I went skiing was over 20 years ago, and I had a horrible experience). I plan to return as soon as possible. This is a great place to go to learn how to ski. I also suggest that others follow the advice on the website (which was so very helpful). Take lessons - the experience is so much more pleasurable that way.

I chose not to eat in the restaurant (not the best selection for non-meat eaters) however it gave me an opportunity to go to a local restaurant about ten minutes away (see my review of Foggy Rock Pub).

Reviewed 14 December 2013

It's smaller than the other two local mountains, but the best place to learn. They have the best snow around when there is no natural snow (due to snow guns about every 10 feet).

I'm most impressed with the lessons given at this mountain. There seems to be a more uniform, and professional way that all lessons are taught here compared to the other local mountains. Intermediate to advanced rider? This mountain will disappoint you!

However, customer service is lacking compared to previous years.

An employee loudly, and obnoxiously, yelled at me that I was walking down the wrong side of the stairs impeding traffic on my first attempt here this year (I was the ONLY person on BOTH sides of the stairs). He also yelled at the security guard to do his job and make sure it didn't happen again (in front of everyone). I thought this was very unprofessional, rude, and obnoxious behavior for an adult. I promptly complained and left.

The other time I attempted going here this year, a friend forgot her helmet. The rental staff was rude, and said "thats why I buy my helmet," and "you can buy one in the shop," (she questioned that the rental helmets were severely banged up). She has 2 helmets, she had just accidentally left them at home.

Due to these customer service incidents this year, If you aren't a FIRST time skier, do yourself a favor and go elsewhere. Expect to be treated with contempt and rudeness at this mountain while you learn.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Ok, it is not a large mountain, but it is a great place to take the kids or other beginners to let them learn. The conveyor belt on the left is very helpful for the little ones.

1  Thank bgins