“A great place!”

Ranked #2 of 11 Blowing Rock B&B and Inns
Smithfield, North Carolina, United States
“A great place!”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I have stayed at Hemlock Inn every time I visit Blowing Rock and my wife and I had our first date there, so I guess it's a special place for us. The owners and staff are always friendly, helpful and go beyond just providing a room. Once I made a reservation, but showed up a day late because of my mistake on what date i made the reservation. The owners could have charged for the night I missed since I did not call to cancel, but they did not and were very understanding. All the rooms are decorated different and very comfortable. I think the wife and I have stayed in most all by now. David, who usually works at night, is very friendly and helpful on every visit and it's nice that he knows us by our first name when we arrive. We spent our first anniversary there and was very surprised that they provided a complimentary bottle of wine. A very nice touch to make us feel special. I have recommended Hemlock Inn to friends who have been very pleased with their stay. This is the only place we will stay when visiting Blowing Rock area.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
abby7987, Owner at Hemlock Inn, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you for your kind words. Hope to see you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 March 2013

Went on a weekend getway to escape the city heat back iin July 2012. Hemlock Inn is very nice on the outside looking like your tradtional mountain lodge. The staff is super friendly and accomodating. The location is great as its a few steps from Main Street in Blowing Rock which has lots to do and see.
The rooms certianly could use a touch of updating, but to be honest, its what I expect when I go to a mountain lodge. We spent most of our time outside anyways. The landscaping outside is also really beautiful. I love the town of Blowing Rock and the term I would use to describe this place is charming. We didnt have to pay, in my estimate, a lot for the room rate and we did it on short notice. To sum it up briefly, I would stay there again on a future trip.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jrosborne
Roxboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Looks very nice on the outside, but inside a different story. Rooms are outdated, beds are hard as a rock, bathrooms have no heat. For $100 per night, I was expecting a lot nicer place and a much bigger room.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank brent c
Reviewed 29 November 2012

We go to Blowing Rock 5 or 6 times a year for 5 or 6 days at a time, and we always stay at the Hemlock. Staff is friendly and helpful. The location is convenient to shops and restaurants. The innkeepers Brian and Donna are friendly and will go out of their way to see that you have a pleasant stay in their inn. It's become our "home away from home".

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Bremda
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 19 November 2012

In general, we really liked the Hemlock Inn and it was convenient to town and is an easy drive into Boone or to the Blue Ridge Parkway. We stayed in one of the King suites which was nice and well appointed. It had a small kitchen in it with a fridge, stove, oven and all of the necessary utensils. It's a very easy walk into main street and the shops and restaurants there. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable. It took a bit to get the heat in the room quite right (electric baseboard heaters) but once it was set, it was great. TV is a bit small, especially since the channels are set up for widescreen but it's a 4:3 format set so it made the screen even smaller.

The wood paneling was nice (kind of a 50's retro look) and the couch was comfortable enough. The bathroom was kind of small and needed some updating but the shower was hot. Our particular room was next to the ice machine/vending area as well as the Inn's laundry. There was also an upper level above us and it tended to get a bit noisy in the morning. Room was a bit pricey but I don't think it was too out of range considering it was fall on an ASU game weekend. I would consider staying there again.

Room Tip: I would stay away from the rooms next to the Ice/Vending area.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We loved the super convenient location of the Hemlock, easy walking distance to main street (charming shops and restaurants). -ONLY used our vehicle to drive up to the Parkway for hiking trips. The owner was very friendly and shared great "tips" about stuff to see and do. From the outside the Inn is totally charming and perfect for a quaint mountain town. Although the rooms were clean and had their own charm, they really could stand some updating: curtains and wallpaper border unpleasant for anyone under the age of 70. The beds were super firm #hard, T.V.s tiny and poor quality. Some rooms lacking 2 bedside tables or 2 bedside lamps (only ONE of you gets to read at night and/or put your glasses etc... down on a table.) All in all our experience at the Hemlock was a pleasant one, it could just stand some improvements before next time. :)

Room Tip: room #9, although very spacious, had poor internet reception and poor heating system, whereas room...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
abby7987, Owner at Hemlock Inn, responded to this review, 8 November 2012
Room 9 is getting remodeled in the Spring of 2013. Thank you for visiting us, hope to see you again...
West Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Have stayed at the Hemlock about 5 times. They have always bent over backwards to ensure my visit was fun and comfortable. One snowy night the owner stayed on the phone with me for half hour to guide me to the Hemlock. It was snowing so hard I could not recognize old familiar landmarks and he vectored me safely by telling me terrific directions. I have no need to stay anywhere else. Donna and husband are great people!
Bill G.