“Very nice dinner”
Review of Chestnut Grille

Chestnut Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Chestnut Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 48 Restaurants in Blowing Rock
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Located at the Historic Green Park Inn in Blowing Rock North Carolina, The Chestnut Grille offers casual dining, extraordinary cuisine, and a thoughtful wine selection.The Chestnut Grille serves contemporary high country fare in a comfortable setting.
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We typically visit some of the same restaurants over and over when we go to Boone/Blowing Rock. This time, we decided to try something new, and had read an article recently about the Chestnut Grille at The Green Park Inn.

Immediately upon walking in the door to the inn, you are in front of the restaurant. When we went, it was not too crowded. It was an early dinner as we were headed back down the mountain from getting a tree at one of the tree farms in Boone.

The decor is nice and dark, with the low light of the restaurant. You can tell the inn is very old/historic, but the restaurant has had a quality facelift done to it. Other than that, nothing else about the atmosphere is too noteworthy. That doesn't really matter though, because the food was delicious.

My wife and I each had the NY strip with mushroom sauce and mashed potatoes, and my son had the salmon. The steaks were remarkably good (much better than I expected). Every inch of it was eaten (no gristle whatsoever). I only wish I had a touch more of the mushroom sauce.

Apparently my son's salmon was awesome too, because he had it all wolfed down within about 5 minutes.

Give it a try for a nice dinner. It may not be crowded, as is often the case for restaurants nestled inside of hotels - but the food is excellent.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed two nights at the Green Park Inn and our reservations included breakfast at this restaurant. The first morning, only 3 of the 5 items on the breakfast menu were available. The second morning, it was done buffet style. We felt the quality was below average. The "biscuits & gravy" was cold both days and tasted more like paste. The potatoes on the buffet were ice cold and tasteless, apparently having just come from the freezer. The bacon was greasy and had a somewhat rancid taste. The dining room was quite cold on both mornings. Also, a sign needed to be put up telling guests to seat themselves. Service . . ?

2  Thank DrJ00001
Reviewed 18 October 2013

My husband and I went here for the first time. At first I wasn't impressed with the restaurant as there were only a few tables full of diners and the decor was new but overall ambience was just so so. However, the service was good and the food was also good. I had the special which as a filet, soaked in espresso and then dressed with chocolate. It was actually good, despite having to send it back for a little more cook time. My husband had the scallops which were prepared spicy. He enjoyed the dish. Overall, pretty good and a nice change from some of our usual spots when we visit the mountains.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We were determined to follow the chef so that we could experience the chocolate espresso filet again. We had such a wonderful experience two years ago dining on the chef's creations at Crippens. I closely monitored the reviews at Laurel Room and Chestnut Grill, and found them difficult to believe based upon our experience. Although the food was good, it was not great.

The staff was very nice and prompt. We found them to be knowledgeable and well trained. I ordered a Bloody Maria that was average, obviously from a mix. I ordered the Pumpkin Soup, and I must say, we think it was one of the tastiest soups that either of us has ever had. My wife ordered the chocolate espresso filet (the special). I had the strip steak. Both were prepared perfectly and were tasty. I had the Caesar Salad, which was very basic. My wife had the house salad which she enjoyed, especially the vinaigrette dressing. The accompanying breads were very nice, but did not seem to pair well with the spread, the ingredients for which I do not remember. We would have enjoyed butter with the breads. My wife's potato and goat cheese au gratin was superb, as were my mashed potatoes.

Since it was our anniversary, we indulged in dessert. I ordered the Grandmas Banana Split cake. Although it was very interesting, it fell a bit short in my opinion. I was looking for something a bit sweeter. My wife ordered the Chocolate Silk, which was very tasty. As an added bonus, we ordered the vanilla ice cream, which may have caused me to think the cake wasn't sweet enough. The homemade ice cream is extraordinary! In a town that has arguably the best ice cream in the country (Kilwins), this ice cream was very close.

After we left the restaurant, we both felt that the decor should have been a bit more formal. Upon rereading the ads for Chestnut Grille, we now know that they opted to have a more casual atmosphere. Still, the decor seemed to miss the mark.

Good food, great ice cream, pleasant staff.

1  Thank Gary2hs
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The three hour drive from our home to celebrate our anniversary was well worth it, as our dinner was a wonderful experience. We could actually enjoy a conversation together as the music was delightful and keep low in the back round . The restaurant staff met our every need from the hostess who greeted us with " Happy Anniversary" to the food servers and Sharon the manager. Chef James prepared a wonderful meal for us. We couldn't decide between the Chocolate steak or Lobster tail, so we each ordered both. It was all delicious . To top it off may we recommend Granma's banana split cake. After our meal Chef James came to our table to wish us a Happy Anniversary .
This is a very friendly place