“new and improved”

The New Public House
Reserve with OpenTable
The New Public House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 48 Restaurants in Blowing Rock
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hill St.
Description: Big Flavors - Casual Dining. The New Public House restaurant offers reasonably priced, delicious favorites in a relaxed, comfortable, and exciting environment. The New food concept was created by-renowned chef Michael Foreman. He supports local purveyors, regional flavors and offers a "NC farm to table" experience. The restaurant's bar is available for meeting friends and enjoying a drink or a meal in more casual setting. Offerings include our small plates specialties, as well as local NC beers; great wines by the glass and exotic, specialty cocktails by our own mixologist
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Great meal and great service. I was impressed. My only complaint was that the bench on which I was sitting was a few inches taller than the chair on which my spouse was seated. That was a little ackward and should be remedied. The food, however, was excellent.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

The meal was excellent! The wings were worth every penny! Drinks were good as well! The meatloaf was amazing! Great atmosphere! Desserts were just okay...we tried the brownie and the cheesecake.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We knew we'd be coming through Blowing Rock around dinnertime so we did a quick search for a place to eat and chose The New. Thank goodness it jumped out at us because our meal was marvelous. We ate early and were the only ones there at first, and that was fine with us. The decor is great--very simple but sophisticated. Our waitress was great, very personable and helpful. They had a great beer list and offered a few hard-to-find options. We decided to split one entree and two appetizers. To start, we chose their dirty south wings and vegetable succotash, and both were excellent. The wings were coated in a fabulous sweet and spicy blackberry bourbon glaze and it was so good, we wished for a piece of bread to wipe the leftover glaze off the plate. The succotash was very fresh and the dressing was flavorful and made the whole thing extra special. Our entree was a lobster and scallop hot pot, complete with a wonderful broth and some very creamy grits. The seafood was delicious and I think we both wished we hadn't had to share it with each other. My boyfriend and I agreed that it was some of the best food we'd ever had in a restaurant. Because we were so impressed, we decided to give dessert a shot. We got the apple and golden raisin dumpling, and while it wasn't the best dessert ever, it was solid and we both really liked the fleur de sel ice cream that accompanied it. All in all, this restaurant is a gem and people need to know about it!

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We recently dined for the first time and were blown away by the service, food and drink quality, and price. This was a rare great experience from start to finish. Jenna was attentive to my life threatening food allergy; preparing for my allergy before my arrival which put me at ease all night. We ordered some small dishes which were all extremely generous portions and all very well executed. We also ordered a sandwich and wings- all fabulous, timed well, and super fresh ingredients. I love the option to order half glasses of wine so you can really pair the wine with each course you try. The manager on duty went out of his way to quietly ensure we had a great night. I was a hospitality major and worked in restaurants for many years so I am not easily impressed from start to finish! Congratulations New Public House on getting it all RIGHT! You will be very successful and we will look forward to our visit next time we are in town.

2  Thank Linds95
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We decided to try the New Public House, since we had dined many times at the same location when it was a different name and management. The dining room was refreshed and was very comfortable. The menu looked wonderful and we had a tough time deciding. This restaurant emphasizes local sourcing for its food, which we find to be a clue that the chef and owners care a lot about both the food and the dining experience. My husband had the wild boar meatloaf, I had a seafood special pasta, and we split the appetizer. Be warned - the portions are fairly large. I had enough to carry home and have for lunch the next day. The food was very good and we will definitely be back to enjoy this. Once the season starts up, you will need to get reservations or be prepared to wait a long time. We really liked being able to taste the wine prior to choosing it. What a great idea! Wish more places offered that.