“Good food and peaceful setting”

The New Public House
Reserve with OpenTable
The New Public House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 48 Restaurants in Blowing Rock
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hill St.
Description: Big Flavors - Casual Dining. The New Public House restaurant offers reasonably priced, delicious favorites in a relaxed, comfortable, and exciting environment. The New food concept was created by-renowned chef Michael Foreman. He supports local purveyors, regional flavors and offers a "NC farm to table" experience. The restaurant's bar is available for meeting friends and enjoying a drink or a meal in more casual setting. Offerings include our small plates specialties, as well as local NC beers; great wines by the glass and exotic, specialty cocktails by our own mixologist
Reviewed 1 September 2014

My husband and I had reservations for 6:30 the Saturday night of Labor Day weekend. After an exhausting day of riding in the car we were ready to sit somewhere around 5:00. I called the New Public House to see if we could move our reservations up and was told that it was too complicated to change the reservation other than cancelling it, but we were more than welcome to come by early and sit on the porch and have a drink. That's exactly what we did and it was the most delightful part of our drip. We enjoyed it so much that we decided to eat on the porch as well. My husband has back problems and the cushions on the chairs were very comfortable. The food was very good and service was equally as good. We were the first ones there and by the time we finished all outside tables were filled. There was a wedding reception at the restaurant next door and the music drifted over. The weather was perfect. We will be back the next time we are in Blowing Rock.

1  Thank Ed H

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We went for my daughters eighteenth birthday. We sat outside on the front lawn. The service was a little slow but we were not in a big hurry so it was fine. We did make a reservation and we were glad we did. We arrived at 6:30 and there were no tables to be had without a reservation. We all ordered something deferent. My daughter had the rosemary chicken. The only complaint she had was, the potatoes were a little under done but enjoyed the meal. My wife had the pork tenderloin and she thought it was a little under done, closer to rare than mid rare but enjoyed her meal. I hade the special, the strip steak. It came over tater tots and came with a cream sauce. The cook was right but at was barely warm. I like my steak hot but do know now chefs think meat needs a ten minute rest. I believe five is closer to what it needs. I had the Left Hand Brown beer and wife and daughter had water. We wanted dessert but waiter took to long to return so we had to leave for a party in Boone. We will be back.

1  Thank Travelman360
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I've been to this restaurant 3 times over the past year. Each time I've been with friends and no one has ever had a bad meal. I recommend the shrimp and grits. I know it's a southern staple and can be lackluster but this version is good enough to go back for. The wine selection is very nice and reasonably priced. Service has always been attentive and knowledgeable. I only wish they were open at lunch. I haven't been for breakfast and would be interested in reviews on that.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We were there at 5:30 with only 6 people inside eating and 4 people outside. So when the host asked if we had reservation we did kind of laugh. There were 12 other people there before we left. We almost did not stay but we did. The fried boiled peanuts were great. I had the filet which I enjoyed and the service was great. They should try to not make it seem so uptight and I think it could be more fun. But the food was good and the service again was great.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Great quality, flavors and sensibly priced good quality wines, not cheap wine dressed up to be special,