“Pretty good, but marketed as more” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Twigs

Twigs
Reserve with OpenTable
Twigs is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 48 Restaurants in Blowing Rock
Price range: US$14 - US$39
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Durham, North Carolina, United States
“Pretty good, but marketed as more”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

My husband and I were very much so looking forward to visiting Twigs during our first long weekend in Blowing Rock. The menu looked awesome so we made a reservation. Upon arrival, the atmosphere was great. It's a beautifully decorated place and I was encouraged that it would be as good as promised.

We were seated promptly, but had to wait a while for our server. The manager got us our drinks while we waited. With time, it became clear that the server had made an error with the table next to us and was focusing on fixing that before getting started with us which I completely understand. When she did get to us, she was perfectly pleasant. Not a lot of personality, but certainly did an adequate job.

We got the BBQ duck tenders. The sauce was delicious, but overall it was a bit heavy. The breading was so thick you couldn't really appreciate the duck flavor. But did I mention that the sauce was delicious? We then split the caprese salad with heirloom tomatoes which was wonderful.

My husband got the Chicken Scaperelli because he's a sucker for spicy pasta dishes and we were told it was one of their best selling items. The andouille in it was awesome, but everything else was pretty bland. The pasta was well cooked, at least. I got the antelope because I take advantage of every opportunity to eat a meat that isn't always on menus. I asked for it mid-rare and it came out more like mid-well. Luckily, it wasn't chewy as a result but it was definitely under seasoned. The asparagus was cooked beyond recognition. The bacon and bleu cheese croquette was the best thing on the plate.

After all that food we, sadly, didn't have room for dessert. The variety of the menu is great,but for the prices they're charging their food should really be better executed. Wouldn't be top of my list to return to unless they dropped the prices.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Laura G

Sevierville, TN
“Lovely romantic restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We ate at this lovely little restaurant for our anniversary. Its off a side street, in town and does not look impressive from the outside. But once you walk through the doors you enter an enchanting romantic dinning room full of little white lights wrapped around tree branches and tables with white table linen and candle light. The service was exceptional and the food was delicious. A good wine list, and full bar compliment the evening. Try this place first before you go anywhere else.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank valleylass03
Indianapolis, Indiana
“DON'T Drive By! STOP and VISIT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped here during one of the busiest weekends in town; July 4th. Most every place else had long lines. This place is on 321 and you may miss it. Don't be fooled by the almost hidden exterior. It is lovely. You can eat inside or outside in the quaint and quiet patio. All decor are twigs and white lights. Simple. Wait staff was very attentive and helpful (Kimberly). The menu has hanged a bit from what is showing on Trip Advisor. I had an argula salad with watermelon, Gorgonzola cheese and walnuts-fantastic!! I also had the appetizer of crab cakes for my main course as I wasnt that hungry. Husband had wild salmon that came with farro and puréed cauliflower. His plate was totally clean when we left! They serve warm bread with the salads which is very good! Wine was smooth and flavorful (Merlot and Pinot Noir). Many if their desserts are made from scratch. We had key lime pie. Nice flavor, but crust was a bit thick and overpowered the key lime. Total price was around $73, plus tip. We would definitely go back!!! Please support this place and make the effort to stop by as it is so worth it!

1 Thank Becky B
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Found this restaurant right next to the hotel. The staff was accommodating. The food was excellent. Very nice atmosphere and impressive wine list.

Visited July 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
“good last year, bad this year”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Visited last year and went without knowing anything about the place, was great...Both my wife and I had the Filet...cooked perfectly and great quality,,, this year we went to Blowing Rock for the 4th of July, had reservations and were both excited to have another great meal....wrong.
I had the Yellowfin Tuna black garlic seared, thai noodles, peppered cucumbers, sweet sriracha broth,, well no garlic taste at all and no sear....it was raw, as in cold sushi raw. Thought I would just go with the flow as it was my wifes birthday and did not want to complain about it and do the send it back till they get it right thing. Well, there may have been 4 ounces of tuna,, (good in this case) maybe, so I went ahead and ate , the rest of the meal was poor chinese takeout...pretty sure down to the msg. My wifes steak ,ordered medium rare, was rare with no char whatsoever on top or bottom. The steak was fine quality, just poorly cooked. Salads were bag type half spinach and spring mix. We both had blue cheese dressing, watery and bland.
Waiter was disinterested and , well I see why every other place in town had long lines and this place had empty tables....wow what a difference a year makes!!

• Visited July 2014