“Four for Four”
Review of Twigs

Twigs
Reserve with OpenTable
Twigs is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 48 Restaurants in Blowing Rock
Price range: US$14 - US$39
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I rarely write restaurant reviews based on one visit because it’s always possible to have a bad meal or experience that is not the norm for the restaurant. After 4 visits to Twigs, over a period of 5 years, however, I believe I have a sufficient sample to make an informed judgment: this is a good place to eat!
Good things at Twigs start with an attractive (female diners would say “cute”) décor, ample parking and scenic grounds behind the restaurant. They do take reservations (more about that later), there is an attractive bar and they have a small outdoor eating area. Over the 4 visits, I have never had a bad meal, although my choices and my lady’s are invariably fish. Speaking of fish, if you are in the Boone/Blowing Rock area, you should get trout, and you should get it when you go to Twigs. They cook it several ways, but in my opinion, the nut encrusted is the way to go. I had the salmon, advertised as wild caught, and it was excellent. Other good things: in the back of the large wine list, there is a beer menu! Finally, we beer drinkers are getting some respect. The beer choice was not extensive but it did feature local brewers and was more than adequate. Our table mates ordered wine and seemed pleased with their choice.
Was the restaurant perfect? Of course not….haven‘t found one yet. As mentioned earlier, they do take reservations, but not electronically, so you know what can happen. And it did. We checked in on a busy Saturday night in July (absolutely get reservations, particularly on weekends) right on time, and guess what, no record of our call. Fortunately, the manager on duty remembered the name and make accommodations for us with only a brief delay. However, they would do well to go onto an electronic reservation system such as Open Table to facilitate the reservation process and give clients documentation of their reservation.
Another area where improvement could be made is in the staffing level. Our waiter was efficient and hardworking, but it seemed that he was being stretched to cover all his tables. Thus you had the feeling that “we better order now while we have his attention” lest you be left sitting for a longer stretch of time. This is not to say the service was bad. We received the food in an acceptable period of time and didn’t lack for anything, but as I said, it just felt like the waiter was a little harried and rushed.
The only other negative I can think of is that this is not an inexpensive restaurant, and it seems the prices rise more than just a little each year. Our entrees ran around $28 but that included bread, salad, vegetables and starch. So was that a reasonable price for the dinner? To answer that question I will just say that I will be back at Twigs for a fifth time next summer.

1  Thank trickydnc

Reviewed 19 July 2014

My husband and I were very much so looking forward to visiting Twigs during our first long weekend in Blowing Rock. The menu looked awesome so we made a reservation. Upon arrival, the atmosphere was great. It's a beautifully decorated place and I was encouraged that it would be as good as promised.

We were seated promptly, but had to wait a while for our server. The manager got us our drinks while we waited. With time, it became clear that the server had made an error with the table next to us and was focusing on fixing that before getting started with us which I completely understand. When she did get to us, she was perfectly pleasant. Not a lot of personality, but certainly did an adequate job.

We got the BBQ duck tenders. The sauce was delicious, but overall it was a bit heavy. The breading was so thick you couldn't really appreciate the duck flavor. But did I mention that the sauce was delicious? We then split the caprese salad with heirloom tomatoes which was wonderful.

My husband got the Chicken Scaperelli because he's a sucker for spicy pasta dishes and we were told it was one of their best selling items. The andouille in it was awesome, but everything else was pretty bland. The pasta was well cooked, at least. I got the antelope because I take advantage of every opportunity to eat a meat that isn't always on menus. I asked for it mid-rare and it came out more like mid-well. Luckily, it wasn't chewy as a result but it was definitely under seasoned. The asparagus was cooked beyond recognition. The bacon and bleu cheese croquette was the best thing on the plate.

After all that food we, sadly, didn't have room for dessert. The variety of the menu is great,but for the prices they're charging their food should really be better executed. Wouldn't be top of my list to return to unless they dropped the prices.

1  Thank Laura G
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We ate at this lovely little restaurant for our anniversary. Its off a side street, in town and does not look impressive from the outside. But once you walk through the doors you enter an enchanting romantic dinning room full of little white lights wrapped around tree branches and tables with white table linen and candle light. The service was exceptional and the food was delicious. A good wine list, and full bar compliment the evening. Try this place first before you go anywhere else.

1  Thank valleylass03
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We stopped here during one of the busiest weekends in town; July 4th. Most every place else had long lines. This place is on 321 and you may miss it. Don't be fooled by the almost hidden exterior. It is lovely. You can eat inside or outside in the quaint and quiet patio. All decor are twigs and white lights. Simple. Wait staff was very attentive and helpful (Kimberly). The menu has hanged a bit from what is showing on Trip Advisor. I had an argula salad with watermelon, Gorgonzola cheese and walnuts-fantastic!! I also had the appetizer of crab cakes for my main course as I wasnt that hungry. Husband had wild salmon that came with farro and puréed cauliflower. His plate was totally clean when we left! They serve warm bread with the salads which is very good! Wine was smooth and flavorful (Merlot and Pinot Noir). Many if their desserts are made from scratch. We had key lime pie. Nice flavor, but crust was a bit thick and overpowered the key lime. Total price was around $73, plus tip. We would definitely go back!!! Please support this place and make the effort to stop by as it is so worth it!

1  Thank Becky B
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Found this restaurant right next to the hotel. The staff was accommodating. The food was excellent. Very nice atmosphere and impressive wine list.