“Way Overpriced for What You Get”
Review of Ridgeway Inn

Ridgeway Inn
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Let me start with the positives about this hotel. The staff is very pleasant and the location is good for walking into downtown Blowing Rock. However, I was expecting a bit more for the significant sum of money I spent for one night at this hotel. I realize the prices go up on weekends, but I was a little aghast at what I didn't get for my money. The room we got was very small, however, it was updated from its 1950s decor (except for the black and white tile and the tub in the bathroom). We had a hard time finding floor space to put our suitcases down. The mattress had seen better days - it was soft and sank in the middle. The A/C in the room barely kept up with cooling the room and this is the mountains of NC! The water pressure was very low in the bathroom and it took about 3 or 4 minutes for us to get hot water in the shower. I guess I didn't realize that the prices of accommodations in Blowing Rock are so expensive - it is just simply supply and demand, I guess. I would suggest getting a room in Boone and just driving to the town to look around and have dinner. Maybe I had a problem with the cost of this hotel, being that I just came from the Inn at the Biltmore Estate. Granted I paid more there, but the amenities were way above what I got here and I didn't pay that much more for a B&B package there.

In retrospect, I probably should have called the hotel directly to negotiate the price rather than go through one of the internet sites.

Room Tip: I am not sure how to ensure you get a larger room, but you might want to look at the room first befo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cherrytree80

Reviewed 3 July 2013

It is a nice and friendly place and a good choise to stay for a night or two. You can walk to the main street were all the stores and restaurants are.
Our room was clean and nice. The bathroom had a very good shower, hot water was there in an instant.
The breakfast is in the lobby, you get fresh fruits, coffee, tea or milk, cereals and bread....... we liked it.
Only negative point: you hear the street very good, I woke up several times.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Tina S
Reviewed 2 July 2013

The front desk staff is very efficient. The room had lovely hardwood floors, a comfortable bed, and updated finishes in the bathroom.

The main problem is the size. The parking lot is tiny! It is very difficult to maneuver - especially when one car takes three spaces! Our room was also tiny! There were no luggage racks or space to set out two suitcases. I put my suitcase on the only table. My husband couldn't leave his out. He put his clothes in the night side stand - the only drawers.

My husband finds small rooms depressing so we ended up packing up and changing hotels!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2013

I was traveling for two full weeks as part of a round-trip road trip of sorts. Down the East Coast of the US from Ocean City, MD to Kitty Hawk, NC to Myrtle Beach, SC to Florida. And then along a circular path to Atlanta, GA to Nashville, TN to Clinton, TN to Mountain City, NC and eventually to Boone, NC and Blowing Rock, NC -- before returning by way of Asheville, NC to Maryland.

I stayed in Days Inn (horrible), Hampton Inn (my favorite resting place), Sheraton (over-priced on everything), and, finally, the Ridgeway Inn in Blowing Rock.

If you appreciate older-style architecture and ceiling fans and black-and-white tiled floors with a feather bed in the bedroom -- this place is for you! Immaculately clean. Friendly staff. Old-fashioned decorations. Heavy table lamps. Nice bedspreads. Fluffy pillows.

A great break from the typical road trip motel or hotel. While I'm at it -- AVOID Days Inn. Paper-thin walls. Loud guests who don't care.

Blowing Rock and Boone are undergoing some highway renovations, so be prepared. We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Boone the previous two nights -- it was nowhere near the caliber of Hampton Inn or the Ridgeway Inn.

Ridgeway Inn has a separate building for their continental breakfast, and limited hours of access. So this is not necessarily the best choice if you expect to eat at all hours or rise early. Their sitting room and "lodge" are well-fitted with comfortable chairs. There was no desk in my room to lay a laptop down easily. I improvised with the suitcase rack in the closet and my suitcase.

Floors were solid hand-scraped-look wood with nicely finished moldings on doors and windows. Ceiling fan was silent until turned up high (window air conditioner is normal here). Bath had upscale soaps, etc. And everything was immaculately clean -- my compliments to the carpenters and the cleaning staff!!

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the road or you'll hear traffic all night. Write a note to the Staff when b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Got moved to "sister" location cuz room we rented was not available. One cup and one glass in room with kitchen. Did not know we needed to bring all kitchen supplies so was cost to supply for four days we were there. Was OK but would not go back.

Room Tip: Stay at Ridgeway Inn, not Village Inn. Both in Blowing Rock
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We spent 2 nights here,and the positives outweigh the one negative--the road noise intrudes because of the nearby highway (we were in the 4th room away from the street). We use a "white noise"machine whenever we travel to mask other noises,but it wasn't enough here. The room was very clean and quite comfortable with 2 queen beds,big Tv, microzap and refirg. Batroom was clean and tub/shower had plenty of nearly instant hot water. When you arrive you can walk to all the main street attractions, but you'll need to drive to the outlet mall and the bypass stores and restaurants,and the road construction sometimes makes that a hassle. They offer a nice wine and cheese/snack reception in the afternoon,and also a pretty decent breakfast. It had juice,coffee,biscuits and sweet rolls to be zapped,cereal, muffins and bagels--enough to make a decent start for a day. Overall, a nice convenient place to stay in the heart of Blowing Rock, if you can accept some road noise from time-to-time intruding on your stay. The 2 ladies at the registration desk were most helpful with suggestions and directions.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kingfather
Reviewed 21 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Yonahlosse Suite to celebrate my wife's birthday. The staff is great. They were all very helpful. The room rate includes a continental breakfast with great coffee.

The suite was very clean and the bed was wonderful. The #1 benefit of staying here is the location. Everything in town is an easy walk from here. Main Street is about 30 seconds away! Go ahead and book a room and park your car. You don't need it again till the drive home.

• Stayed: April 2013