“Meh.” 3 of 5 bubbles

The Speckled Trout
Ranked #37 of 48 Restaurants in Blowing Rock
Price range: US$0 - US$10
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Pilot Mountain, North Carolina
“Meh.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We went there on a recommendation from someone. I wonder if they had eaten there recently. As we walked up to the restaurant, I noticed that the paint was peeling on the outside and there were other signs of neglect, but we decided to go on anyway. The inside also looked a bit shabby and was stuffy, so we asked to be seated outside. Our waitress was charming and the menu looked promising, if a bit pricey, so we ordered. My husband got the stuffed rainbow trout and I got the mahi-mahi special. My husband said his trout was good, not great and I would say the same for my mahi-mahi. It was just slightly overcooked, but not so badly as to make it dry or inedible, just not as tender and juicy as it should be. The problem is that we paid $18-20 for each of our entrees. For that price, I expect better quality. As lovely as our waitress was, I cannot recommend The Speckled Trout.

Visited July 2014

Blowing Rock, North Carolina
“Nasty”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Can't believe it's still open. Terrible food, old building, horrible atmosphere. Only good thing about the place is it has several "reserved" parking spaces - which are at a premium for downtown Blowing Rock.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Karen M
Kure Beach, North Carolina
“Fresh ingredients & friendly staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Fresh ingredients & friendly staff make this a nice place for lunch - if a bit pricey. The lunch menu was quite limited and featured mainly deli fare - hot or cold. There is a goid wibe selection. Dinners here are recommended by many locals.
Located at the edge of downtown, it's an easy walk.

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Decent Food, limited atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

The food was OK, and we ate outside, which was essentially a covered patio on a corner at a major intersection. Yet the setting was OK and preferable to what I saw inside. Service was fine. I had coffee with my meal, and it was lukewarm. They replaced it with hot coffee. Others had coffee after the meal and suffered the same problem, but again it was replaced with hot coffee, and none of us was charged for the coffee.

Visited June 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
“excellent meal!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

This ranks as one of the best meals I have had in a restaurant in a long time. The bread was so hot and fresh we had to let it cool to cut it. The fried green tomatoes we had as an appetizer were perfectly prepared. We had trout (their specialty) for our entree and it was excellent - seasoned with their special blend of 17 spices (I asked!). Even the side dishes were delicious. And the service was great as well - the chef even came out and asked us how we liked it. Highly recommend this place.

• Visited June 2014