“Big Mistake” 1 of 5 bubbles

Canyons
Ranked #19 of 48 Restaurants in Blowing Rock
Price range: US$7 - US$19
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Bar
Good for: Cheap Eats, Groups, Kids, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, View, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
North Carolina
“Big Mistake”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

How I wish I had read the TERRIBLE Reviews on T.A. instead of listening to a friend who recommended this dump. GO ELSEWHERE! We ate and froze here Thursday, 10-24-13. We were seated at the large window area and immediately felt cold air. We kept our coats on throughout the entire terrible meal. Our table had wobbly legs; we placed a tube of my lipstick on it and the lipstick immediately started rolling 'downhill'! Our waitress was really sweet and attentive, but our food horrible. My husband ordered the Maui Chicken sandwich with their home fries. The fries were hard and bland (could only eat a very few because he was afraid of breaking a crown!). The grilled chicken was no better than Arby's and the BBQ sauce on the side was so watered down! I ordered a plain quesadilla with beans and rice and pico de gallo. Worse cheese quesadilla I have EVER eaten. The pinto beans (not refried) were not even lukewarm. My husband did order a cup of their clam chowder and he said it was actually surprisingly good. We shared a piece of Darby pie. Do yourself a favor and buy a Toll House cookie freshly baked and put a tiny bit of Cool Whip on it. MUCH CHEAPER and tastier. The décor???? DRAB, OUTDATED and DIRTY LOOKING. Just nasty. On the way out I felt warmth and remarked to my husband, "This is where we should have eaten! We would not have frozen!" The manager heard me and said, "Oh, no! I will have to take care of that!" (Yeah, right). All he had to do was look at ALL THE PATRONS SITTING BESIDE THE WINDOWS WITH THEIR COATS STILL ON and sort of hunched over for warmth!) Stop in the parking lot for photos and eat elsewhere. REALLY.

• Visited October 2013

North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Intentions?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

A beautiful location, but mediocre food and service and obviously no money spent on keeping the place up. I felt like I was in a frat house! The view is stunning, however, and, sadly, this is why they are still in business.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ravenel123
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Fantastic Panoramic Views...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

...sadly that's all that is fantastic about this place. The establishment does not maximize the potential of their location. Stop for the views from the parking lot and go elsewhere for the food. They are so may better options.

Great location with fantastic panoramic views. Offers dreary atmosphere; mostly blah bar food though the house wine was good; and ehh service which is in desperate need of focusing on the customer.

Winston Salem, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Solid Choice in Blowing Rock”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I recently ate and Canyons on a Monday night. Not much of a wait after 7 pm. The place is a bit dated in a rustic sort of way, but most places in the mountains are.

We sat on the inside beside a window view of the sun-setting behind the mountains. Could be spectacular I'm sure, but we got a cloudy day. Outside patio has about 4 to 5 tables, so they could be a challenge to get on a good evening.

A local innkeeper recommended the steak, as their beef is grass-fed and local, but buy the time we got there, they were out of the steak. I opted for a "Drive In" burger with cheese. It was fantastic! The fries that came with it were also outstanding, kind of like steak fries, but seasoned and crispy, very good. My wife ordered the beans and rice (they have many vegetarian options) She said it was okay, the rice needed some seasoning. The salsa and habanero sauce however, were awesome. We also got some black bean and cheese spring sticks (awesome!) and some hush puppies (boring) as appetizers. They were 4 hush puppies for $3, don't waste your money.

Overall, we plan on eating there one more time before our vacation is up. If your in the mood for a good burger, this is going to be the place. They have a decent size menu, many vegetarian options, so everyone should be satisfied. Service was great for us and they were pretty busy. I've read other reviews, I guess it depends on who you get. That's universal for anyplace. Another plus, they do have free wi-fi, no password, just connect.

We definitely recommend this place.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“Great food! Great Views!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

If you're lucky enough to have a nice day and be able to sit on the deck, the view is fantastic. This is one of our favorite places to eat when we are in Blowing Rock. We have had a variety of different things here and have never been disappointed. The end the meal, you have to try the Darby Pie!

• Visited August 2013